• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I picked these up today at a car boot sale for £10 the 2 hammers are about 4oz a set of Tong's, a soft faced hammer ( it needs new faces ) and a 1/4"  rivet setting tool, hot cut chisel and some punches. Very pleased with the riveting tool, looks too be from about the ww1 or 2 army issue I'm guessing from the paint that's left.IMG_20160903_174746.jpg

3 minutes ago, Gergely said:

Found lost treasure, huh!? Not bad...

A few years ago, a friend gave me back my first cross-peen hammer, one I thought I'd lost forever when I moved away after my parents' divorce. That was an emotional reunion, you may be sure. 

Took 120 pounds out of the scrapyard Saturday:  a 15.75" section of RR rail they had put aside for me. (I *ALWAYS* buy anything they put aside for me to encourage them to save the *good* *stuff* for me!)---going to Quad-State, A 3.5"x4"x8" I'm taking to quad-state as "travel anvil stock---they asked me if I wanted more of them too.

A nice piece of screen 10" x 48" with 1.75" square openings---just the thing to put my 1.5" stem hardy tools in as soon as I build or scrounge the support structure,  Some odd piece of forging---used a mine rail spike to hold it together, 4 chisels to be used as high C stock: pneumatic, star drill and two made from 1" round stock. A piece of chain to hold the gate closed at my daughter's place. AND a nice heavy duty metal milk crate.  Very handy for making storage from or to haul warm firebrick home in not touching the trucks bed liner.

JHCC, thanks large for posting the texts image; I'm ashamed to admit I don't own a single one of those pictured. Yet. Example: Abe Books has Bealer's work (1969 printing) for $6.99, free shipping. Here in the boonies it's faster, easier, and cheaper to simply buy a used book rather than deal with inter-library loan.

19 minutes ago, Gergely said:

25 pcs of 800 gramm hammerheads. They are milled and have nice sound - maybe heat treated tool steel. From a srapyard at scrap price - was a good day :)

I reckon so!   Next you will be posting a tailgate ad.....  I wonder what flat rate is across the pond?

a little ornamental fullering and some dressing and you have a pile of gold!  Back in the early '80's I ran into a pile like that but the scrapyard wouldn't let them go out the door---they had a contract with the drop forge company that all of their scrapped hammers would be scrapped, brought a tear to my eye!

Maintenance at work was cleaning out the shop and gave me several broken weaving blades a small piece of floor grate and some other 'junk.' (I might get a picture in the next couple days.) 

I've been trying to get in touch with the company that makes the weaving blades every since I got the first one and finally got to talk to someone today. The guy on the phone said the alloy was 'proprietary information' but did tell me 'any heat applied to the blade will make it weak and brittle and there is no heat treatment done to them for that reason.' He then told me 'they are really high carbon steel,' and I tried asking for more clues but could tell he was getting annoyed. The last thing I managed to understand him say was he confirmed there was no chromium, it's just a plain high carbon steel. So now the testing begins and I guess I'll  start my guessin got at 1095 even though that doesn't sound right to me.

17 hours ago, Michael Cochran said:

He then told me 'they are really high carbon steel,' and I tried asking for more clues but could tell he was getting annoyed. 

Only slighly related: people over here tend to call almost anything high carbon/heat treatable/"steely"/hard steel. At best case it's 1045 but can be rebar, too. - As they have no idea about steel grades, and of course steel is a hard material in itself :)

Unfortunately I have no idea what weaving blades mean, neither google helped it. So let's say I just ranted a bit as sure didn't help at all, sorry. 

Your not far off at all, Gergely. The maintenance man told me it was 'good high carbon steel great for knives,' when I asked if he knew what grade of steel it was he said, 'it's probably 1040 or something like that.' I know I've done some looking around for local suppliers for tool steel and they all sell 'high carbon steel' but when you look it's just structural steel. 

Mod coursebinalso had a guy yesterday tell me all about how knife steel has to get really super hard for it to be any good. He said the harder the better. In as nice a was as I could I tried to correct him but some people cannot be corrected because they more than someone with real world experience. 

I'll take some pictures after work if I have time. Basically it's a piece of bar stock with a slight twist in it that spins pulling wore off of a carrier and bending it into the zig zag shape that you see in chain link fence. You can find a video on YouTube showing a machine in operation but I don't remember if it shows the blade. I'll see if I can talk my supervisor into letting me get a quick video showing the machine in action. No promises since you're not supposed to use your phone while on the clock. 

Truth is I've been wondering how long it would take before someone asked that question. :) 

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

I'm more familiar with the weaving swords used on vertical looms during the viking era...

Thank you for making me curious, now I have to go looking to see what that is.

7 hours ago, JHCC said:

So what's a "weaving blade"?

Here's a small pile of weaving blades along with the rest of the junk I got the other day. In the second picture you can see the slight twist I mentioned. Unfortunately no video today, my machine started acting up really bad as I was gettin get easy to trying to get a quick one. Maybe one day.image.jpegimage.jpeg

By the way, the opening on the grate are about 1.25x4" according to my rough guesstimate just by lookin at it.

There are a few youtube videos of automatic chain link fence making machines and you can see the weaving blade rotating in a helical guide which draws the wire along the blade as it is formed. Is that right Michael?

I have seen something similar on a much smaller scale making oval links for silver chain.

Alan 

Search YouTube for 'chain link weaving machine 1" mesh' and you'll see the easy part of my job. I tried to put a link but I'm messing it up I guess. Anyway, the weaving blade is shown at about 20 seconds in and is located in the bottom left and is spinning violently fast.

1 minute ago, Alan Evans said:

There are a few youtube videos of automatic chain link fence making machines and you can see the weaving blade rotating in a helical guide to draw the wire along the blade as it is formed. Is that right Michael?

I have seen something similar on a much smaller scale making oval links for silver chain.

Alan 

That's exactly right. They range in sizes, the ones I have the most of are for 2" mesh but I have smaller ones used for 1.25" and 3/8" mesh. You can also see in the one picture the short wide bar with two holes in it, that's a small piece off a blade for '3 by 5' mesh. I haven't seen that one so I don't know how that works or what it looks like.