• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I gave up banging iron for lent, but was allowed to scrounge. I managed, in the past 40 days before Easter, to accumulate just under 50 RR spikes, probably 100 lbs + of RR tie plates, enough container devices to make four more gasser forges, and a bunch of other metal to work with:D

DSC01100.JPG DSC01101.JPG DSC01102.JPG

I was tickled pink. You have that right, vermin proof really comes to play in the fall. A little hardware cloth and they'll be perfect.

They'll need a little work, some of the legs are folded over from being moved but that's no biggy. Heck, 1 sheet of 1/2 plywood is more than that around here and I'll need storage of all kinds.

It was a good day.

Frosty

On the way back from town things just kept jumping into the back of the truck.

Things like a 5 gallon bucket of wheel weights, several rr track plates, couple of old horse shoes (two were bright and shiny) and a display rack for tires.

what ever you do with those horse shoe's DON't punt them on a horse!!! but i gues you figured that out by yourself :-) I'f got loads of old horse shoe's lying around (as a studant farrier) but never had a good idea to make annything out of em, the hole's are a bit in the way for most stuff.

Don't want to second-guess him, but wheel weights are an excellent way to keep your ammo bill down... ;)

Nothin like runnin yer own bullets, but enough of that, we stirred up the pot(no pun intended) the quite a bit on the last thread like that Matt... :o

That tire rack would make a spiff tong/hammer rack: mount two pieces of pipe down the middle from that cross piece below the "handles", spaced for hammer handles, (drill and bolt if you don't have a welder) and then hang tongs from the lower bars on either side. Put a sheet of steel or plywood over the bottom for the anvil tools and Bob's your Uncle!

Horseshoes: there are books out there that only cover projects to do with used horseshoes!
The most common one we do is to cut them in half and make hoof picks from them. The fancier ones with a horses head forged out in the grip area.

I just talked with a guy the other day who asked if I wanted some cable. I said sure. He asked how much and I said, "How much you got?" He said about 3 miles. It is 3/4" but it is galvanized. I would have to get the galvanizing off it before it's useful. Have you tried that before? I would make him a knife or two and could probabl get all I could stand.

Fred

That tire rack would make a spiff tong/hammer rack: mount two pieces of pipe down the middle from that cross piece below the "handles", spaced for hammer handles, (drill and bolt if you don't have a welder) and then hang tongs from the lower bars on either side. Put a sheet of steel or plywood over the bottom for the anvil tools and Bob's your Uncle!

Horseshoes: there are books out there that only cover projects to do with used horseshoes!
The most common one we do is to cut them in half and make hoof picks from them. The fancier ones with a horses head forged out in the grip area.

I make alot of those horse shoe hoof picks for local farriers. Most y`all wouldn`t belive it but most Of the Farriers here ain`t ever used a coal forge:rolleyes:. And they don`t make anything just shoe horse( like on the side blacksmithing)
Thanks,Chris

I picked up a $5 bench drill press at Goodwill. It's a Companion belt driven model that looks (guessing) 30+ years old.(I'm trying for picks but having issues uploading them)

Needs a little (very little) work but everything turns, including the 1 hp motor. Eventually I plan to replace the motor and the chuck but that is down the road.

I have also picked up an older tablesaw and a 'bench grinder' (1 hp motor and a set of pillow blocks) for $5 each. I am sure someone's Grandad is spinning in his grave that this stuff if being given away.

Anyone know anything about these drill presses?