I Forge Iron

It followed me home

I saw a Craigslist add for a roller last week.  It was powered and seemed like a nice smaller roller.  As soon as I inquired about the roller, it was pulled down.  However, the guy sent me a message he had another roller.  He said it was an older manual one.

I couldn't make it over until yesterday and found this gem.

This Barth says its capacity is 16 gauge and is built like a tank.

The piece I rolled is 10 gauge and was just a test piece.  This will be a dang handy addition to the shop.

1 coming home.jpg

7 manufacture plate.jpg

6 opened.jpg

3 rolling.jpg

4 rolling.jpg

5 rolled.jpg

2 first piece of plate.jpg

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some nice ideas in his shop too. I like the leather (?) holders for the hammers etc. I'm guessing the heavy chain round the anvil waist is to stop the ring? What are the things in the white block? 

Some nice ideas in his shop too. I like the leather (?) holders for the hammers etc. I'm guessing the heavy chain round the anvil waist is to stop the ring? What are the things in the white block? 

Thanks! Yes, they are leather straps that I cut from a piece of belly. The heavy chain around this particular anvil does help minimize the ring. It's an 82 lb Hay Budden.

And they tear the scale off almost as well as a hot rasping session.

I got it to remove scale off of stock that I'm forging but should I also use it on the anvil? Those bristles are VERY stiff and I'm not sure that I want to be scraping my anvil faces with it. Should I scrape the scale off the anvil with it between heats, or continue to use the wire brush that I've been using?

Naw, no need to use the brush on the anvil, you can just sweep the scale off with a GLOVED hand and don't worry, that brush doesn't stand the chance of a fly in a bonfire of damaging a Hay Budden.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for the reply and I understand why the GLOVED hand.

​Discovered that early on too? I only had to brush fresh scale off the anvil once to learn that one. Pain is a one lesson teacher. ;)

A wire brush is just fine it isn't going to hurt the anvil, not a bit. I keep a stainless wire brush on the table with the butcher block brush to get into the little nooks and crannies so I grab it to brush the anvil off if I don't have a glove on.

Frosty The Lucky.

I've never noticed that the wire brush does harm to the anvil, but I do know that it chews the scale off of the work without shaving it down.

Hot rasping works pretty well in a vice too, and the rasp side will really shave things down fast.  An added side effect of hot rasping that I've noticed is that if you keep going around your work with the right amount of pressure for the thickness you can get very straight and true.

​Discovered that early on too? I only had to brush fresh scale off the anvil once to learn that one. Pain is a one lesson teacher.

A wire brush is just fine it isn't going to hurt the anvil, not a bit. I keep a stainless wire brush on the table with the butcher block brush to get into the little nooks and crannies so I grab it to brush the anvil off if I don't have a glove on.

Frosty The Lucky.

Well, something like that. A piece of still black coal popped out of my forge and being that the thought of wasting coal causes me to cringe I foolishly picked up the BLACK coal and learned very quickly to always remember what I'm working with!

Well when I went up to visit my wife, repair the house and drool in my shop; I found that I didn't have the right material to hand for the repairs and so had to go visit the scrapyard---BWAhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.  Unfortunately I was at low ebb on my allowance.  I had 57 pounds of stuff; both required and "spec" and so came in right below my cash on hand limit of US$12  (20 cents a pound) and then I saw a largish cast iron ball with a hook on it.  Being in the SCA for the last 37 years or so I know that armourers  have a veritable lust for such things so I asked if it was for sale...their reply that not only was it for sale they had been holding it for me.  (Perhaps because I had bout 6 of them at one time previously...)  Luckily I had brought my change bottle and was able to count out $18.40 in change to go with the $3 I had left from buying the "needed" stuff.

So besides the 3'x8' piece of galvanized sheet, I picked up a nice 4" "adjustable" C clamp, (always take the time to dig in the "garage clean out" stuff as for some reason folks will junk perfectly good tools!!!).  About 20" of old rock drill---good for blades especially as the old stuff tends to be a straight high carbon steel. Some strapping in convenient  sizes for an upcoming fork class at an SCA event.  Some utility pole hardware---my new rental has a carport built from 6 utility poles and so having some hardware to fit in the already present holes makes a handy place to hang stuff---like a hammock.  Some misc steel that looked like it might be handy and a 107 pound cast iron ball with a steel hook protruding from it.  (Possibly a dock weight---but here in the desert???)  Also a lovely if hot morning at the scrapyard and the "warm" feeling that they are thinking about me---even if it's a "Push that to the side, that feller with the disreputable red hat is sure to buy it next time he comes in, the idjit!"

I met the guy who sold them to me when I first took an interest in smithing, about 8 months ago. He is no longer interested in blacksmithing so he sold them to me at a good price. I am really excited about this score! They are all Pieh Tools, Blacksmith's Depot, or Centaur Forge tools. Some still have the stickers on them!

Had the chance to go to a local flywheelers swap meet last saturday, picked up these two beauties, prolly will sell em as I have one already. Both need springs, offers by PM if you are interested, or my pm

wagon vices resized.jpg

Edited by Glenn