I Forge Iron

It followed me home

ThomasPowers, on 25 Jan 2015 - 7:54 PM, said:

I have one of the top hammers and was told it's a Spanish  hammer.  Mine has the faces not parallel to the handle axis and so hard for a new smith to use as they can't understand why they are not hitting flat---like them using a turning hammer never noticing that once face is flat and one domed.  (I tend to not bring either to classes to avoid the pain...)

What was the benefit/purpose of the faces not being perpendicular to the handle?

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

So I was trying to hold on to my allowance as I head out Thursday to NW Arkansas for my grandfather's 90th birthday and who knows what might turn up?  But when I get to the fleamarket folks are going crazy trying to sell me stuff---a new condition bullpin for US$3 a lot of old rusty wrenches to continue my bottle opener Tyrannosaurus wrench practice  all priced at my buy point, and a very nice broad axe head for $5.  Ah well it's only money---and then my student today wanted to *pay* me for his first class!  I did accept enough to cover the propane and steel and returned the rest to him.

photo_1_(1).thumb.JPG.08ff0af38b89f9248b

Hmmm, picture looks right, then flips.....

Anyway, saw a garage sale Saturday on Craigslist for 8am Sunday. Emailed , and asked for info. Sunday at 10am I get a call from the owner. He didn't have much info other than it had Wright on it, and he guessed 100#. They emailed me this pic, and I asked how much? An 80 mile drive to him, and $100 later I have my first Peter Wright in right good shape. The sale had been going on since Friday, and he told me everyone who saw it said that's neat, and kept walking. I also beat out another guy who drove in from Boulder City for it, but I had told him I would buy it before I left the house , so he told the otjher guy I had first dibs.  Also picked up a double screw type chain tensioner for my trailer for $5

Wife has been watching a few local buy and sell pages on facebook.  well she found an 8x8' shed for cheap.  $50 and an hour later had it home.  Think she was thinking a bigger chicken coop...  I get it for my stuff though  :)   set of old camper jacks, pry bar and block  onto to the little trailer it went. Tight squeeze between the corner of the house and the trees.  Only one branch ended up in the way.  One little adjustment because of a dip next to the tree.  DSC02005.thumb.JPG.d2a618d0714fca914dbcfDSC02007.thumb.JPG.d74cf27c3105ce92fc28fDSC02008.thumb.JPG.742d1fa53c1e2660fd507DSC02009.thumb.JPG.b5ed794e74cf8a6533cebDSC02010.thumb.JPG.9bad113df842cbed6d1bfDSC02011.thumb.JPG.254dc93da730bacac8e80DSC02012.thumb.JPG.f61ae997535c393a21613 Not cool blacksmithing tools  but it's the next best thing a place to store them...  The neighbours boy helped me drag it into place with the chain block tonight.  He had fun!  Just need to build a few shelves down the one side and it'll be nicely setup.

Edited by Dogsoldat

I spotted this little lady on E bay a couple of days ago, £60 starting price no bids and only twenty miles up the road.

So today I handed over £60 and home it came.................

17 inches from tip of horn to heel, 6 inch by 12 face and 10 inches tall. No pritchel hole a small hardy hole and the horn is slighty off center.

I have not weighed it yet but going by the size of the body I estimate in the ball park of 160 lbs there are no markings I can make out at the moment.

DSCN0126.JPG

DSCN0127.JPG

DSCN0128.JPG

@ Wayne, that looks like a right little Cinderella B) 

@ Dogsoldat, a video of you loading that beautiful baby would have been worth the watch!, I love watching (and learning) guys using their noggins . :D

• 2 weeks later...

About 6-8 months ago, a long time neighbor friend who used to own an antique store called my wife and asked if I might be interested in an anvil that she had. Her mom had just passed away (She owned an antique store also) and because of the mom's passing, the kids were selling her house and had to clean it out. Although I have always been interested in the Blacksmith trade, about the closest I have ever been, is when the Farrier comes over to shoe my horses. Well, she figured since I have horses, I might be interested. Long story short, I went over to pick up the "anvil", and as it turned out, it came with the former owner's original stump, hangers, hammers and tongs, in addition to a milk crate full of a selection of hardys and hand made cold chisels. The entire setup looked as if the former owner had been using these tools up to the day before I got them. Another surprise was when I found out that the anvil is a Peter Wright, and from what I have read here on this site, it's a pretty good one! Try as I may to pay my friend, she flat out refused. She said that she just wanted it to go to someone who would appreciate it, and who may use it. And this is why I am a new member to this site, as I am stoked and excited to learn the Blacksmithing trade!   

Peter Wright Anvil - Photo #1.jpg

Peter Wright Anvil - Photo #2.jpg

If the side isn't too beat up, the weight is stamped into it. It will be numbers pretty widely spaced, mine is marked 1      0       26.  The first number will be in hundredweight which is actually 112#,  so if it was a 2 it would be 224#. The second number will be a 1,2, or 3 these are quarter weights and are multiples of 28#. The last number will be straight pounds from 0-27.  So my anvil being marked 1/0/26  is 112+0+26 = 138#

Your anvil looks to be usable as is, even with the edge damage. The broken tongs can be repaired, or modified. Overall a pretty great starter set. This is why it pays to be neighborly!

If this isn't living proof of the benefits of good neighbor relations I don't know what is. All you need do is get the forge burning and go to work. I'd call that a pretty complete kit, fancy stuff can follow but that's enough to make the fancy stuff in time.

Congratulations!

Frosty The Lucky.

Best I can tell, the numbers on the siade are 0 5 16, so based upon BIG GUN's formula, I believe i have a 156 pounder. But the story gets better! So I now have this Anvil and tools, and start reading up on Blacksmithing, the basic tools required, and am now itchin to get started. A cople months later I'm workin out of town, and just happen to stroll into a local antique store in the town I am working. I go deep down into the basement, and way off in the far corner I find this portable or revit forge buried in the corner. Everything works except that the pump handle is weathered, and it is missing the drive belt. He was asking $367, and I picked it up for $250. I bring it home, replace the handle and belt, oil it up and it is ready to go! Two weeks later, out of the blue my other neighbor shows up at my back gate with a Post/Leg Vise (3 1/2" Jaws). I had never told him I was looking for a post vise, he just shows up with one. He said he was cleaning out his garage, and thought I might want it. Other than missing the mounting bracket and spring, the screw is good, and the jaws line up. Although he said you can have it, I gave him $80. So i am either incredibly blessed with the "Luck of the Irish", or devine intervention is telling me to hurry up and get my xxxx started in the art of Blacksmithing! Again, I appreciate all the fine input, photos and information posted by y'all on this site. 

As the center number is in quarters it's unlikely to be a 5.  What did it actually weigh when you put it on the bathroom scale?  Some of the old 3's look like a 5 when battered a bit.

a weight of about 100# would make it a 3.  A weight of 156 would make it one of the rare but possible weight mis-stamps 

I picked up 30 new hammer handles for $15.00 at a sale, but the best fine of the year so far was a scrap yard only 15 minutes away that sell steel for .20 lbs. picked up a 9" steel disk to make a bender out of and some 2" round 1045 for hammers, with all the new handles I will have to start making hammers. 

steel.jpg

handles.jpg

It's been a good month. My sister said she had some square tubing that was left in a house she is sell and asked if I want it? Showed up at my place with a trailer. Drop off 38 ft of 2.5" square tubing 3/16 thick,  16 ft of 2" square tubing. and a 3" round solid bar about 12" long. Was thinking of making a anvil stand not sure if 3/16 is thick enough for the legs, could double it up and make 2.5" x 5" legs.  

P1030657.jpg

The 3/16" wall 2.5" sq tubing will do a fine job, you ain't strong enough to damage it beating on your anvil. both my anvil stands are 2" x 3" x 3/16" wall rectangular and you could park a loaded pickup on them without them flexing even.

Frosty The Lucky.