I Forge Iron

It followed me home

Went by the scrap yard and picked up an old table pedestal. large round base, pipe shaft and small dished sq top.  I increased the hole in the top piece (using the anglegrinder as I needed a 1 5/8" hole) and now it holds my largest ballstake (with 1 5/8" shaft)  much like a gazing ball for the garden but in my armourmaking shop area instead.

I also picked up a used drill press table---cratered like the moon; but the shaft on it fits the round hole on my bridge anvil and so I mounted my whitney punch on it as mounting it on the shear table would limit the size of pieces I could cut.

20 cents a pound; more than paid for it by picking up new bolts that were dumped!

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Found this in the woods on a friends farm, 2 pieces of forge welded barge chain. He said that his dad brought them home in the "60's. 1 piece is 6.5' long, the other is 7.5' a total of 57 links, 1" to 1-1/8 " in diameter about 11" of mild steel in each. 

The other piece is a raker tooth from a bulldozer I found on my new property. 1" thick and 3" wide

What would you do with this? No power hamer or striker.

post-22703-0-61850200-1359939610_thumb.jpost-22703-0-23825900-1359939667_thumb.jpost-22703-0-08998000-1359939717_thumb.j

I found two 22" sticks of 1" x 5 tpi acme in the maintenance shop scrap pile.  Each one had a nut.  Appear to be drop from some "special" machine project.  Even with the tighter thread, ( checked my leg vises and all 4 are 4tpi) these are just begging to be used.  I'm not sure how best to turn the hex nuts into proper screw boxes.  If I used them for a woodworkers bench leg vise, I would just inlay into the fixed jaw. 

I'm thinking salvaged ball hitches would make proper ends to fit the screws to.  Then there's the grease cup for the back...

Found this in the woods on a friends farm, 2 pieces of forge welded barge chain. He said that his dad brought them home in the "60's. 1 piece is 6.5' long, the other is 7.5' a total of 57 links, 1" to 1-1/8 " in diameter about 11" of mild steel in each. 

The other piece is a raker tooth from a bulldozer I found on my new property. 1" thick and 3" wide

What would you do with this? No power hamer or striker.

attachicon.gif011.JPGattachicon.gif012.JPGattachicon.gif013.JPG

Whats the plan for those chains mate?

I got some a similar size recently from the local scrap yard to wrap around my anvil. 

Cheers

Andy

When  you find a brand new heavy forge fire pot, you put it in the car and bring it home. About 8-9 inches across the fire pot, 3-4 inches deep, slop sides, large opening for the twyere, and a ring to support it on a forge table.  

Just needs a twyere, stand (legs) and table.  

DanielC, those are not stakes, they are hand tools held like a chisel and struck with a mallet, used for seaming sheet metal. They create a channel so that the folded seam lies flat. There is an opposite concave tool that flattens the folded seam.

Thanks for the info! I was hoping you would duck in this thread and explain what they were!

• 2 weeks later...

Local old timer passed away near here. Had 3-4 acres of stuff he had collected over the years. Like a scrap yard only very little ever left once through the gates. I scored two blowers on stands. the little one turns very well and throw lots of air the large one is tight but moves, need some cleaning up to work. and i got the tongs. grand some of $57 Australian dollars . There was heaps of old wrought iron wheels, chain etc. could have a had a field day if i had more time etc. Shame is in next few weeks it is all being scrapped the big excavators were already getting into the back 2 acres which the public could not enter into.  Tis a sad day.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h283/Swiftden/IMAG0097.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h283/Swiftden/IMAG0095-1.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h283/Swiftden/IMAG0098.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h283/Swiftden/IMAG0096.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h283/Swiftden/IMAG0099.jpg

Went back today being 24/02/13 and picked up 3 wagon wheel rims, a couple of forge tools, some weights for in the shed and a sledge hammer head which i rekon would weigh 5 to 6 kilos at a guess.

Found a Mankel 3 burner forge in my area and went by to see it.  It followed me home with 3 propane tanks (5 gal each).  Once he fired it up and he turned on the blower, I was hooked.  I tried not to show my excitement, but he knew by my drooling I wanted it.  It is a serious forge and I'm so happy to have it.   

Greetings Dave,

I too have a Mankel forge  My friend Tim Carr in now making them  He bought out Ken Mankel and is doing a great job...  He is on the internet and has some great information....  Stand back ,  fire her up  and let the fun begin    Tim is a great guy and is very helpfull. 

Jim

Ok...its about time i actually had something to put on this thread and what a haul it was!!    a 25# Little Giant PH.....$1800.......a traveling bellows forge with post vise ..$250.....a very good condition 1920s vulcan 100lb anvil..$150....and a mess of coil springs of varying sizes..FREE......a double handful of horseshoes and 2 buckets of coal...$10..   now i need a bigger shop!!!!!   have 3 coal forges and 1 propane...3 anvils and the power hammer amongst all the welding equipment and mechanics tools and of course the 1939 SB lathe i got off craigslist a cpl yrs ago for ....wait for it..........FREE!!    and as a test of the power hammer (have never used one)  I hammered out this spiked war hatchet out of an old chipping hammer i had laying around....test SAT!!!

post-969-0-79242900-1362352353_thumb.jpg

post-969-0-18871200-1362352373_thumb.jpg

post-969-0-12640800-1362352394_thumb.jpg

post-969-0-28726100-1362352413_thumb.jpg

Greetings again,

You'l have fun with your new hammer ..   OXYMORON    it's not little and it's not big  butttt it sure works well...   A LG 25 is the only hammer Francis ever had..    Can't see does it have a brake....  If not look into it... 

Jim

Man you guys are lucky. I live in Flint, MI. A heavy industrial town with TONS of scrap yards. Theres is not a yard in town willing to sell anything out the yard. I mean nothing. Once it makes it through the gate it cannot be resold. One guy even told me he thinks its actually illegal here to resell scrap.