I Forge Iron

It followed me home

Here's a couple of pics of the carriage tires that a friend dropped off for me, and some other assorted pieces that he also brought me. Some RR clips and various other things. He had a wire holding a BUNCH of rings that were made from about 3/16" stock and about 2"-2 1/4" diameter. He didn't know what they were used for but thought that I needed to have them. :)

post-1549-0-89344400-1329158456_thumb.jp post-1549-0-51285500-1329158473_thumb.jp

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Work provided another batch of material. I was asked to go over to the remote warehouse to see if I wanted any of the material that they were getting ready to scrap. It was all material that they did not have a certification on, not enough to inventory, or just didn't need. I took one look , and said "I'll take it all." The steel was free, the brass, and aluminum were sold to me at below scrap costs. Most of the material was full 12' lengths, and packed in the original wood crates. Took two trips with my 8'X18' deckover trailer to get it all. The crates went side to side, and double staceked the first load. Also bought an aluminum powered roof vent, and an old ultrasonic bar checker feed unit that could be the base of a belt grinder. They also tossed in the controller for a Steinhal video measuring unit.

The brass was 35# of 3/16" or so hex. A few hundred pounds of aluminum round, sguare, hex, and sizes up to 2"+. The steel was mostly Leadloy screwmachine stock like the rest of the material. I have round, square, and hex also up past 2'. Some stainless, and plastics were mixed in as well. Looking today I found a tube filled with.1093" chromel. Luckily some of the material has some identification on it,as I never would have known what the chromel was, thinking it was just stainless. Now if I could just find a spectrograph for some of th eother bars.

Total for the bought material, and items was $460, and a couple of trips with the trailer (206 miles round trip). The Chromel alone may be worth more than that. I saw some .032" for close to $4 a foot. I am wondering if it would be good for pattern welding, or Mokume due to the high nickel content. If not I may try peddeling it off.

It was mixed bounty as the budget was very tight, but some of the material can be used to help launch an automotive tool I developed years ago when I had my shop, and it was a screamin' deal. I'll see if I can get some pics put up later.

One that got away: about a 150 pound Peter Wright in great shape on Craigslist for $200

Phone number listed on the ad was incorrect. I sent e-mail and got a reply with a different number that gave a "Disconnected number" recording.

When I got back in e-mail communication this morning it had already gone. Just as well as it was a 3 hour drive away.

They haven't quite "followed" me home yet, but I just got an offer for half a dozen or so marble slabs, 3'x3' and a few inches thick, out of an old building being gutted. Luckily the guy who salvaged them owns a backhoe, so loading them shouldn't be too painful. I'm not sure what I'll use them for yet, but they'd make some killer table tops! Of course, I don't own a power hammer, so forging legs strong enough to support them may become a workout.

This followed me home today. It didn't have much of a choice since I strapped it properly to my litle truck. So recently decommisioned that the coolant tank is still full and the swarf hasn't been cleaned yet.

I have no idea how to use it, nor do I have any tooling, but I got it so cheap that I should break even selling for scrap. (I will never do that!!!)

Adcockshipley.jpg

This followed me home today. It didn't have much of a choice since I strapped it properly to my litle truck. So recently decommisioned that the coolant tank is still full and the swarf hasn't been cleaned yet. I have no idea how to use it, nor do I have any tooling, but I got it so cheap that I should break even selling for scrap. (I will never do that!!!) Adcockshipley.jpg

Nice horizontal mill. If it fits in the work envelope you can do anything you can think of!

Phil

well i got to do a bit of the old dumpster diving while at recycling today and came up rusty but quite happy
among other things i found some one inch re-bar and some half inch plate and a bunch of short chains <- (i always need these for something)
and free is a wonderful thing

post-22808-0-64261600-1330039420_thumb.j

I pulled a nice little Wilton vise from the dumpster the other day. Model 1755. Only thing wrong with it was the swivel base had a broken bolt ear.

Tossed the base, and solid mounted it to the shop table at work. It replaced the tiny Japan made one that will be coming home with me.

Woo! Free stuff rules!!

I picked up this 300lb Hay Budden for $400. The face is in great condition, seems to have rarely been used.

post-23126-0-56585200-1330397638_thumb.j

post-23126-0-36426500-1330397645_thumb.j

post-23126-0-31376300-1330397656_thumb.j

I got a good deal on this Hougen magnetic drill as well, figured it should pay for itself pretty quick in time saved hand drilling things after they are assembled. I'd never heard of the annular cutters it uses, but they are amazing. Much faster and more accurate than twist drills. It needs an adapter to fit a jacobs chuck for smaller holes though, since the cutters only seem to go down to 7/16".

post-23126-0-71538800-1330397667_thumb.j

post-23126-0-21508300-1330397676_thumb.j

Hit the Las Cruces fleamarket, bought a couple of C clamps, a nice "suitable for jewelry work" pair of flat bit pliers, another revere ware pot to change the handle for a hand forged basketwork one---got a deal on it as the original handle was damaged! (and will be thrown away anyway...) and probably the most smithing related item: a 4pound Atha drilling hammer for $4---with an axe handle fitted to it...