I Forge Iron

The Natural

templehound

I don't say much about knives I don't know what to say without sounding trite, "Me too" or "I love it," are pretty worn out in my vocabulary. Everything about it says ready to work and is a perfect size to carry. 

Frosty The Lucky.

11 hours ago, Frosty said:

I don't say much about knives I don't know what to say without sounding trite, "Me too" or "I love it," are pretty worn out in my vocabulary. Everything about it says ready to work and is a perfect size to carry. 

Frosty The Lucky.

....well.....:)

all of you (Frosty, JHCC, Daswulf, gmbobnick, Les L, George N.M., Thomas Powers, Iron Dragon, Big Gun Doctor, arkie,....)

have already given answers that have brightened my day multiple times....and some of you said some deep stuff that have stayed in my mind for days

Frosty, I understand that you and many others have a certain artistic and literary claim, but believe me every answer means a lot to me....

there is no "triteness" to me, even not in an one word honorable recognition....

Even for me as a German, with limited linguistic expression in English, there are just a handful of Possibilities how to say "Thank You" in English and even in German.....

and often I found myself thinking how to say "Thanks" and not sounding trite.....but  there is only heartfelt gratitude.

Gentlemen, once again.... I am humbled, grateful and I am honored by Your comments and replies!

Thank You very much!

Cheers

PS George N.M., the bolsters are cut by hand with a coarse checkering file.

Thank YOU. I was speaking for myself, words I say too often begin to sound like so much noise in my mind. I need to remind myself that I'm not saying them to myself, they're for others and neither trite nor just noise.

This blade especially speaks to me.

Frosty The Lucky.

On 11/7/2022 at 12:45 AM, Steve Sells said:

In case I never said it before, I love your work

....... that's a statement! Thanx:D

On 11/8/2022 at 1:14 PM, Frosty said:

This blade especially speaks to me.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, we always appreciate a good conversation!:)

On 11/9/2022 at 12:18 AM, ThomasPowers said:

Your work is characterized by a certain "calm elegance"   very appealing in this Guernica world these days!

Thank You, Sir!B)

2 hours ago, Rojo Pedro said:

I will add my admiration for your leather work. Fit and finish looks top shelf. 

this encourages me posting the last picture which I hadn't posted because it has not more essential infos to show than the other.

But it bears an special opportunity to say Thanks Pedro Rojo!

LB9.JPG

15 hours ago, Rojo Pedro said:

I will add my admiration for your leather work. Fit and finish looks top shelf. 

They are top shelf! I had the chance to see some of his works in Solingen (Messermachermesse) and at a meeting of some members of the "Messerforum" (Jens in Ostercappeln ~2005 - Daniel, you were there too).

A silent admirer

Willy

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2023 at 9:13 PM, Simian said:

Forgive me for asking, but how are your bolsters attached? it looks as though there are no fasteners? (I'm sure there are, but I can't see them!)

Such a tidy, functional and Beautiful blade, It's inspirational for me.

Thanks Simian!:)

There are essentially 3 ways to attach bolster.One of them is soldering them on.In my opinion this is a bad way to do it.Flux acid, heat stress to the blade and 

besides this bad mechanical detriments, even if its cleanly executed it dosen't look good.

Glueing them on seems kind of desperate because if the knife is experiencing some bending they simply can popp off.And glueing metal with metal can be temporary

Imho the only proper and absolute solid way is riveting them.I press them in my vice.

The holes are only a bit countersunk which is ground away in the forming process.But the form fit is so strong you have to chisel them off in case you need to do it twice

because of an unpleasing result.

Cheers

bolster 1.JPG

bolster 2.JPG

bolster3.JPG

bolster 4.JPG

TH, cool.  I have not heard of or seen that method before and will sure consider it in the future even though I do not do that many knives (too much bench work, not enough forging, and I don't particularly like or am good at leather work).  I have always heard that solder served the purpose of preventing water from entering and getting under the handle slabs or along the tang.  It looks like your bolstering method would be so tight that any water infusion, even if used as a dive knife, would be nonexistant to minimal.

GNM

On 1/26/2023 at 8:46 AM, George N. M. said:

TH, cool.  I have not heard of or seen that method before and will sure consider it in the future even though I do not do that many knives (too much bench work, not enough forging, and I don't particularly like or am good at leather work).  I have always heard that solder served the purpose of preventing water from entering and getting under the handle slabs or along the tang.  It looks like your bolstering method would be so tight that any water infusion, even if used as a dive knife, would be nonexistant to minimal.

GNM

George :

the surfaces of the tang and the bolsters should be light gap tight, if so,  its not likely that there will be any problems of moisture sneaking under....

at least not in a life time.

to prevent this in any case the knife should be maintained with highly viscose oil as is used for musical instruments.....just to ease the conscience:)

But if done well  I doubt that there will be any air and moisture getting under causing corrosion. So oil will not be able to get under it as well.....I think

I do not recommend WD 40 in this aerea because it damages the structure of natural handle materials which joining the bolsters.

WD 40 is recommended for the daily maintanance of machines...or just for the blades.

On 1/27/2023 at 1:53 AM, Simian said:

Fantastic - I've just noticed how it was done on the Natural.

Truly superb work.

I figured you would see that;)

George and Simian, thanks a lot for the response!:)

On 1/29/2023 at 6:04 PM, Simian said:

Final question from me - As an aspiring bladesmith, how do you get the tang so flat? Surface grinder, hand sanding on a flat block or something else?

You can ask as much as you want Simian, I am happy to share techniques and experience. 

Most of the time I use flat bar stock in the right measurements or thickness and surface quality.

Sometimes I have to clean up forged blades in the ricasso aerea I do that on the flat platen of my surface grinder in lower speed and important : sharp belts and low or less pressure !

The only occasion I use hand sanding on a flat platen is when I clean up the pivot aerea of folder blades.

That's the part of knife making I dislike the most because it eats up belts, finger tips and time.

So getting nice flat stock that's already useable is the best .