I Forge Iron

Any good hand creams to reccomend?

Corn Huskers never worked very well for me, something in it that made my skin crack and mineral oil didn't last very long. Vaseline is what my dermatologist uses and recommends but to me it is awfully greasy. I just remembered one that my Oncologist gave me when I was in the hospital, under going chemo and my hands were cracking to the point of bleeding. It worked wonders in healing them up. It's Geritrex Hydrocerin I still have about a half jar that I should use.

My hands used to crack and bleed too often, especially when in the shop. I like St. Ives collagen & Elastin but haven't seen it on shelves for a long time. Cetaphil works well. But almost all my hand cracking stopped when I started taking a daily zinc supplement, scratches and cuts heal much more quickly too.

When I do get injuries I use Neosporin original ointment like hand lotion and darned if the stuff isn't an excellent hand lotion. 

In general petroleum jelly and lanolin are the keys. Pure lanolin ointment will make your hands so soft you can pinch bits off. (not really:rolleyes: but they'll get REALLY no callus soft)

Frosty The Lucky.

On 6/12/2022 at 11:27 PM, AngryOnion said:

I really like o'keefes. Doesn't burn at all even in cracks and cuts like some others.

I second this. I keep a jar of O’keefes Working Hands on my bedside table and a travel sized tube in my truck. My hands dry out something awful in the winter and O’keefes works like a treat. The paraffin in it seems to help it stick around longer than lotion without making your hands feel greasy like Vaseline does. 

I really don't have this problem unless its winter and we are doing a masonry related job....... But I just grab whatever moisturizer whomever bought in the house. 

It does help a lot and i should do it more often.   That O'Keefs is pretty good aswell.

• 2 weeks later...

We had a friend that was a farmer and sheep shearer.  He'd go into sheep shearing season with hands you could use to rasp hammer handles down with. At the end of sheep shearing season they were like a newborn's skin and he had to wear gloves to work the farm until his callouses built back up.

• 1 month later...