I Forge Iron

What is a side Blast forge like?

Caballo bueno

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fire, fuel, and use will determine the size of the crater.  

Use only as much gentle air as is needed to get the heat that you need for the metal you are working.  You can only work 4-6 inches of hot metal before it cools off and needs reheated.

Caballo, mi amigo. You keep asking us for specific sizes for a forge that is intended to be easily changed to suit the work. 

As Thomas just said, build a JABOD and experiment until you discover what works for YOU. I have ZERO idea what YOU need to work 4mm stock, I could have my way with it using a fire about the size of a tea cup. I think of 4mm. almost being wire.

One of the beauties of a side blast forge is how easy they are to change. 

You REALLY need to stop asking questions we can't really answer, build one even if it's wrong and start using it. You'll learn what works from using it. There really isn't any other way.

Frosty The Lucky.

Sorry I’m not up to date on my conversions but isn’t 4mm close to 1/8”? 

you could probably forge that size stock in just about any size fire, even just a small camp fire with a good bed of coals outta get you up an running in minutes! 

I saw a picture of a member on here forging or repairing log tongs if I recall correctly?

He was out in the forest Using a log for an anvil and a camp fire to heat the steel and it was a lot bigger than 4mm! 

anyways my point is that I agree with everyone else, all ya gotta do is start a fire, stick some metal in it, and then you will know very quickly what works best for you! 

That was me, I used a mattress inflater, piece of pipe and a piece of log for the anvil. It took maybe 2-3 minutes to bring the log tong to orange. 

I didn't have a trench or fire back, just a fire and air blast. It wasn't a proper forge but it did the job.

Frosty The Lucky.

Shhh Jerry! I know it was you,

I was leaving it a mystery on purpose, that way everyone would start wondering who actually did that! an go looking around the forum for the picture and story Lol, 

anyways my point was that if you could forge log tongs in just a camp fire, then it probably doesn’t really matter what size fire he starts out with to forge 4mm stock, just start a fire an get forging! 

On 12/26/2021 at 10:36 AM, Frosty said:

That was me, I used a mattress inflater, piece of pipe and a piece of log for the anvil.

Is your matress inflater to noisy?

I used today ine I had troublr rven with headphones on and hed to unplug it every now and then and they can suck air fire too if you switch it counter clockwise mine is this  pump

Intex_Air_Mattress_port-1024x768.jpg

Edited by Mod30
Trim quote.

It's louder than a bellows and has an annoying whine to it. I'm not bothered by loud machinery as much as most folks though, I've been running loud machinery my whole life. My single outlet T burner forge is so loud, sometimes people step out of the shop to be understood while shouting at each other. 

People who burn coal or charcoal tend to hate how loud propane forges are. That's one reason I was so delighted when I got NARB to work, it's very quiet. Quiet is nice.

Frosty The Lucky.

Naturally Aspirated Ribbon Burner, is a propane forge burner. I tinkered around and copied some existing devices adapted to use a T burner and darned if it didn't work WAY better than I expected. You can read the whole story of what I did and just how silly happy I was with how it turned out. I still have trouble believing it works so well. In the thread, "Naturally Aspirated Ribbon Burner Photo Heavy" I think it's been pinned in the gas burner section.

Below is pic of the NARB forge at it's first public appearance at a local club meeting. You can see the propane flames, lots of little flames.

Frosty The Lucky.

970487419_narbforgefront02.jpg..jpg.b2647568931438979706c8427b71ee8d.jpg

• 7 months later...