I Forge Iron

What is a side Blast forge like?

Caballo bueno

In the case of charcoal experimentation shows us that 6” is the practical maximum. For coal, you can go larger but 8” is about it as you can only forge about 6” in one heat. So ask yourself how big of a bowl do you need to support a 6-8” fireball?

Obviously a 4” block of steel needs a bit bigger fire

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you TP. 

Good horse, I would try a bowl shape an inch deeper than the bottom of the tuyere opening and of a circumference equal to the depth. That is to say for a 5” deep tuyere, a 10” x5” half circle sloping to just an inch or two at the bottom.  Charcoal benefits from a trench because it doesn’t bank like coal due to fuel spread.  

Yes, you can bank burning coal against green coal but if you do the same with charcoal all the charcoal will soon be alight. With charcoal you have to build fire risistant banks to hold the fuel piled over the bowl. Add to the fact that charcoal really likes a tuyere that is 3/4”-1” ID and is about 1/2 as dense as coal. That requires a much gentaller air blast. 

if one is thinking about using both fuels, and are not forging stock over 1-1/2” a trench like I use is the most efficient set up this can either be done buy building a bowl out of plate like mine or buy building a box and filling it with loose fill. This size works great with a 3/4” schedule 40 pipe, as this is 7/8” ID: this fits right in the middle of the historic record. 
if one builds a box with loose fill one can use a larger tuyer and a 1/2” plate with a smaller hole drilled in it: this allows you to have a real big coal fire for forging anvils wile having a smaller fire for day to day use. 
Mae to the forge hearth, I like a 30x60” table, and for loose fill that would be a 30” square box 8-12” deep (depending on tuyere size) and a 30” square table next to it. In my case it’s steel but if building it permanently it can be wood covers with loose brick. Filling the box so as to leave a 12” square of lose fill (traditionally ash and clinker) around the tuyere. This allows you to modify the fire bowl for special projects

Caballo: Please start paying attention to the font size hen you post a message. The one above is entirely too large and causes extra work for the site's moderators who have to correct it. It's also a problem for members who have dial up internet connections and have to pay for data. Huge fonts take up WAY more data space than common font sizes. 

The questions you're asking about side draft forges do NOT have an exact answer. What works well for someone else may not work well for you. You will need to adjust the size and shape of the trench until you find what YOU like.

It'd be nice if there was a simple exact answer but there just is not one. 

Frosty The Lucky.

For coal in a traditional forge, yes. How big a tuyere are you using? For my self using a 7/8 inch I’d tuyer 4” wide works very well. As mentioned it was a 12” square cut diagonally to form the sides. The slope makes cleaning easier and fuel settles naturally.  I find the trench to be more efferent of fuel. So with coal you will use extra fuel on the table (hearth) to bank the fire (build up the fire ball) this allows the coal to coke wile you work. In the case of charcoal you will find that using something that is heat resistant to hold up the fuel pipe is more efferent as it takes less fuel to heat the same work.

• 3 weeks later...