I Forge Iron

What is a side Blast forge like?

Caballo bueno

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine is fabricated from a 12”x12” 1/4” plate cut diagonally. Weld a 2” strip of 1/4” bent 90 degrees or 2 pieces forming the bottom. From the bottom corner drill a 1” hole, centered 1-1/2” up. Weld a piece of 3/4” schedule 40 black pipe at about a 5 degree angle. Sloping down into the fire pot. I welded 1” x 1/4” bar around the top to form a lip. 

0E313585-DDFF-411B-A9D7-75E84C52DB5D.jpeg

28CFB2CC-4526-4ACE-9E46-69E9EA7FE5F2.jpeg

Burning both charcoal and coal the shape I use is more fuel efferent and heats 1” stock. 
for coal only your u can go larger and deeper.

there is a chart imbedded in the article describing depth to tuyere size. 
but anything larger than 1” is inefficient for charcoal, it really needs multiple tuyere for larger fires. As one can only forge about 6” at a time this isn’t a problem for 1” or smaller stock (I have forged 1-1/4” 6040 square) and as I melt hard firebrick with charcoal I don’t think most hobiests will find this to be  an issue. 
a loose fill hearth lends its self to easy modification to accommodate different fire configurations. 

A note, 3/4” schedule 40 pipe has an ID of 7/8” wile 1” schedual 80 pipe is 1” ID. So you have a choice between 1-1/2” or 2” max. With charcoal. 

I build today bottom blast from side blast forge.

I just used galvanized elbows 2 inc in diametar wich connect to my 2 " dieametar pipe from bellows ,  well i bough it like it and it  was like it was zincplated i let it burn.

One thing about bottom blast is i found they are better then side blast, my air would blow in side blast fuel all over place now its better , my fuel dont run away becasue of gravity, but i would have to make some bars so my charcoal coal dont go in elbow.

And to be honest  side blast forge is just   side blast underneath  fuel, you cant make 100% side blast forge literaly pipe going straight in fuel , if you make it you will need to raise fuel  higher.

Side blast forges don’t have the slag forming on top of the tuyere (grate) and if the fuel is blowing out of the forge, I would suggest you turn down the air blast. 
charcoal needs much less air than coal, but it takes a shallower fire with side blast than a bottom blast forge burning charcoal. 

further a single piece of 3/4” pipe 8” long costs a lot less than a 2” T, 3 nippes, a cap and a flange to build a 2” tuyere from pipe fittings. 

23 hours ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

Side blast forges don’t have the slag forming on top of the tuyere (grate) and if the fuel is blowing out of the forge, I would suggest you turn down the air blast. 
charcoal needs much less air than coal, but it takes a shallower fire with side blast than a bottom blast forge burning charcoal. 

Well i had problem with charcoal that side blast forge literally blown up my fuel, bottom blast don't do that,  i am speaking about charcoal and i am using regular bellows they tend to blow up charcoal to side.

saw that with my smith too, he use wet rag on some rod to cool down embers of charcoal that fall to sides. And he pack it up.

I asked him why he do that with rag, he said it is because i don't want to waste fuel on purpose. He just  somehow wet it so it don't burn around fire and he maybe make it little bit heavier.

But depth of his firepot is no lower than 4 inches.

And i think your fire might be too shallow.

Caballo bueno

If you are blowing the charcoal out with bellows reduce the weight on top or pump slower. Restricting the outlet may help as well. 
I do have fire fleas from welding fires but no fuel blowing out. You do have to chase the embers some when I move stock in and out but that is what the rake and shovel are for

I tend to modify the firepot so I have more of a trench fire and so not have charcoal that is not actively contributing to heating the metal.  Saves having to keep wetting it down to keep it from burning.

Many people try using charcoal in a forge designed for coal and wonder why it's not working efficiently.  Sort of like using gasoline in a diesel engine and wondering why it's not working right!  If I need to use lump charcoal in one of my coal forges I put in fire bricks to convert the firepot to a trench fire and turn the hand crank blower much slower.  With an electric blower I'll prop open the ash dump to lower the amount of air going through. Bellows have already been discussed.