I Forge Iron

The importance of hydration

ausfire

No fabric softener in the washing machine!  Use the dryer sheets if you must.

When I moved Columbus Ohio to central New Mexico, the company didn't pay for the shop move.  I hired a rigger and we got everything palletized, ready for the semi. Then the first truck backed out and everything sat outside on pallets in the rain until we got another truck lined up. (I was back in NM for this).  When it finally got here some of my metal cabinets had standing water in the drawers.  You cry and then get on with life.  Much happier to be out here anyway!  My shop move took more than a flat bed semi load; I had several pallets go by common carrier.  OTOH neither the screwpress nor the powerhammer were damaged in the move.

Then my wife told me that while I agreed to the house with no outbuildings she wanted; with the proviso that a shop would be built for me; the shop's shipping came out of the funds for the building.  I sold off a Swiss Army Crossbow I dearly loved to get 5' more length in that shop.  I get a lot more use out of the shop; but it had been a once in a lifetime deal to get that swiss military crossbow.

Now I've doubled the size of  that shop and look avariciously at the empty lot across the street....

Dryer sheets stink.  I can smell a laundromat a mile upwind.  I forgot about the chemicals killing off our bacterial friends.  I'm now on city sewer and water, but you watch the pipes rot out on my side of the meter!

I thought I was the King of cross country shop moving!  Yours must have been a fun one.  There is a shop near hear I'm told that moved a load like yours from Iowa, but have not yet visited.  Like your crossbow, I gave up some treasured items.  Mostly machinery/tools I made.

I've described the great scrap pile distribution several times here.  I only took about a ton of WI plate with me and the trolley rail and the....Since I was moving out about 7 months before my family and we had already bought a house.  I drove out in my little pickup loaded with all my camping gear and "camped out" in our new house.  (A propane forge, anvil and basic tools were of course part of my camping gear!)  Mainly spent my free time turning the carport??? into an enclosed studio for my wife's spinning stuff---why we got some cotton out of it just a couple of weeks ago!  (My wife has taken over 1/3 of the house instead of using her studio.)

I have stumbled across a few of your tales of moving on here.  I should have paid more attention.  I got a lot of advise from members on here but times have changed.  It was a nightmare in some respects.  The housing market went bezerk and we had to stay with relatives.  It became a nail biter.  Trailer homes with a 1/2 acre going for 175k.  All my junk in storage leaching my bank account!  But it all came out good somehow.  I have land and $ to build a shop.  I'm blessed.  Except for the neighbor hood cats invading.

Does your local animal group have a spay & neuter program? If so you might mention to your neighbors that you will be participating in that and as you can't tell feral cats from pets they should perhaps keep theirs inside and away from your place.

We're running the barn cats through such a program  and expect attrition, (cars, dogs, coyotes, hawks,...), will start dropping the numbers around outside our house.  The vet trims an ear when they spay/neuter them so it's easy to tell which ones have been done.

I don't know but I will check into it tomorrow.  I suspect they are coming from the house next door.  I hate to just move in and start making demands but you can't have animals running ripshod all over.  Especially using raised beds as litter boxes.  I thought keeping coons out of the corn patch was bad...  I think I sold off my live traps before we moved.  Sigh....

We got all our strays fixed as well through programs. Man, is it nice not having litter after litter coming around. Finally down to one old timer orange male as a stray that comes around for food.  Now, if they only did that for coons, possums and skunks... i guess rats too in some areas. 

We have that program here also.  There are 4 cats in the area and we put out water when its hot out, and a little food in winter to assist.  In addition to the notch in the ears to ID them, they also get their shots and they are registered as "neighborhood cats"

They do seem to keep other animals away and keep rodents down.  One of them even likes us enough that she will come up and meow at us for a belly rub.

The one that lets me pet them is Junior, who turns out to be a female and as easily caught was the first to get fixed.  My daughter was amazed that as large as she was she was NOT pregnant at time of spaying.  She says that although the surgery is much more difficult, spaying females is more effective than neutering males in keeping feral numbers down.  We give out names loosely basded on fur color. We started with Momma cat who had Blackie, then Blackie Junior---aka Junior, and now George as in George the Third.  Currently Marmy a marmalade and full tabby and partial tabby.  Attrition is pretty high out here; but I'd like to hold the starting number down---and my Daughter did not get the nickname of "Dr Neuter" for nothing!

Our indoor cats are Morticia and Gomez; but Morticia  has diabetes and is not doing well; she's undergoing testing right now to see why the insulin isn't working for her.  (And NO we don't share insulin! I use recombinant DNA  Human stuff.)

• 4 months later...

Given that it has been in the 90s in these parts for a couple of days I feel it's time for our annual reminder to folks to drink plenty of water and take occasional breaks to cool off. It's easy to get in the zone and ignore the obvious signs of dehydration.

This is good advice in general, but it's especially important when working during the summer.

That's all, hopping off the ol' soapbox now.

To add to Frazer's timely caution I will add that if you are in low humdity like here in Wyoming (11% today) or with Thomas in New Mexico (probably negative humidity) you can get dehydrated without being aware that you are sweating.  You are comfortable but are still losing fluid.  It is evaporating and cooling you as fast as you sweat it out which is what it is supposed to do.  But if you are not hot and sweaty you are more likely to have dehydration sneak up on you.  So, be situationally aware no matter where ever you are and keep hydrated, keep you electrolytes up, and don't get over tired so that you make mistakes that result in injuries.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

It’s been in the 90s with humidity in the 90s with the inex over 100 here,:wacko:

you sweat an sweat but it don’t seem to really cool ya down, you just turn into a soggy mess! I swear some days I think I could ring out my clothes! 

Ive already been hearing about cases of heat stroke here locally!

Its a little to early in the year for it to be that bad here, im not lookin forward to July an august

I work outside 10-12 hr a day an it’s pretty nasty to me, I can’t imagine what it like for the people that ain’t used to it

Sweating only cools you off if the sweat is evaporating; high humidity slows evaporation and thus inhibits cooling.

Adding a big (36") high-powered industrial fan to my shop made a world of difference, as did putting an air curtain in front of my gas forge.

I had a heart attach 5 yrs ago since then i take meds for my heart and they don't like heat i drink litres of water daily if not i loose my energy and the sweat stops flowing,lol the joys of getting older.I got a small veg patch two hours in the sun and i'm done and fly fishing even covered up after a couple of hours the stiffness and cramping set in if i don't hydrate.Some days i wonder why i take the meds cause of some of the side effects and they best way to combat the effects is to stay hydrated......

I was just out TW's way and I can say that wringing out your shirt or sweatrag is a thing!   We were moving my Grabdfather's container garden, (5 gallon buckets and half 55 gallon blue plastic barrels) over to my Aunt's house where he is staying for the duration.  Not only was I dripping with sweat, my shirt was too.  My younger cousin was complaining about getting old and we all turned to look at him as the youngest of us had a decade or more on him!

I carry a flat or 40 water bottles in my truck; out here you can dehydrate fast!

Ive got two commercial squirrel cage fans in the back of my repair shop an smaller fans around the work bench’s, 

I also keep several cases of water in my shop fridge, an I freeze wet rags an drape them over my neck to keep cool,

my old building is concrete block with a tin roof an no insulation so it’s nothing for it to get in the mid to high 90s in here in the shade, an the fans blowing, there’s just not really any escaping the humidity though,

when it’s hot it’s hot!