I Forge Iron

Is an N.C. Tool anvil good for a beginner?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Camping onsite is on a grassed area with the RV hookups spaced. "Primitive Camping" has more trees.  Lots to be said for camping onsite in good weather, lots of raised firepits and camp chairs with lots of hand waving and stuff passing from hand to hand.  (I still remember seeing a knife that had been made from lathe swarf!)

The old KeenJunk crew used to camp and eat together.  As I get less spry. I have found I tend to camp closer to the "official Goings On"  (Tailgating and demos); just to cut down on travel.  Of course last time I went; the tailgating area extended along the internal gravel road pretty much to the end of primitive camping...

The Fairgrounds has built a nice new shower/"facilities" building last time I was there; the old one was further away and "historical" or should I say "traditional"...

I don't believe there is any onsite "reserved" spaces;  one reason folks started showing up a couple of days early...

The flyer should be coming out soon for 2021 and posted to the net.

And yes the hat is a constant at Quad-State unless there are high winds.

I've been to about 20 Q-S now; back in the early days I was up and claiming a seat front and center at the pattern welding/knifemaking demos.  (Till I learned that for special folks volunteering to be their assistant was an even better view!).  Some years I would just cycle through all or most of the Demos.  Some years I was in tailgate heaven.  Lately I've spent a lot more time talking with folks under a shade tree.

Seems like every Q-S is different, weather from 95 degF to one where I had ice in my water bucket and a strong cold wind.  Rain, sometimes heavy sometimes not at all.  The tailgating varies a lot too; but it always seems like there is something at a real good price that I need or could use.  Some real surprises too---like the pair of Ti tongs for US$10 or the Lynch collection hammer heads for $5 a piece---I bought 11! Or the time the fellow showed up with a flat bed of Ballistic Missile penetrator cones for $75 a piece---made dandy cone mandrels if a bit loud when tapped! Or the one where I bought 2 postvises;  3+" and 6+"  $70 total.  (I sure am lucky that I'm pretty tooled up as I've watched the prices climb over the years.)

And added bonus is that anyone who has paid the gate fee to get in can sell blacksmithing related stuff for no extra charge.  Many folks will set out a "money can"  and go watch the demos. I remember one year I was packing up early to get home and as I was leaving the lot a fellow was running and yelling for me to stop---There wasn't change in the money can when he had bought something and he was bound and determined I wouldn't get away before I was paid!

Ken's Custom Iron usually has a booth with both their tong blanks and their power hammer, and Coal Iron and Anyang bring demo models of their respective gadgets. The bookstore booth from Blue Moon Press is very interesting as well.

We'll have to see what the Fair Board says too.  I think they were getting a tad antsy about folks showing up on Tuesday for an event that starts Friday.  I don't know if they have put in any regulations.  (If so we can do a historical reenactment of the Oklahoma Land Rush!)  I have been showing up on Thursday and managing to elbow my way in to camping where I wanted to.

The late Fred Moore would show up early; buy all the anvils he found that he wanted and then would head back to NM before registration would start.  (He passed in February and we are anxiously awaiting what will happen with his 700 or so anvils + other smithing equipment he had collected...)

The only thing i have seen on SOFA's site is they want people to register early. Then it says if you dont you have to register at the gate. :wacko: Kind of confusing. 

But now that message is gone. They do not seem the best at updating their website. 

You ever run an event with around 1000 people with all volunteer labor?   Most websites for smithing groups seem a bit laggy and SOFA is traditionally late with getting the brochure out.

It used to be that you could show up early and register when the event officially opened; but I'd bet that this is now part of contact tracing and so people need to not be on site without being "on the list".  (Our church has us sign in every Sunday for service!)

Deb and I talked about it and if we can't find a spot for the RV on site we'll camp elsewhere and rent a car. She's in for showing up early and hanging out if it's not too early. 

I forgot to ask and assumed we were talking about 2022. I don't THINK we'll see you this year but . . . . :huh:

Frosty The Lucky.