I Forge Iron

Bought a 205lb fisher need some info!

So I just picked up a Fisher anvil. 205 lb is what I was told. And it's got some interesting marks on it, I was curious if anyone on this forum might know some more information about it. It's got a pretty cool story in the 1916, it was bought brand new by the first Coca-Cola factory in Texas and sat in their shop for 50 years. When that Coca-Cola plant shut down a gentleman bought it and had it in his garage for another 50 years. when he died it got sent to an auction where gentleman in Paris Texas bought it and had it for 2 years before posting it on Facebook marketplace where I went and picked it up. This is my first anvil and I'm curious what all the markings mean. I'll post some pictures. Thanks in advance.

On a side note. I want to clean it up a little bit. Can I use muriatic acid without damaging it? Also, should I grind down the edges a little more square?

20210313_094929.jpg

20210313_094932.jpg

20210313_095001.jpg

20210313_094954.jpg

20210313_095010.jpg

20210313_095013.jpg

20210313_095021.jpg

20210313_095038.jpg

20210313_094937.jpg

20210313_094949.jpg

20210313_094945.jpg

There is a thread about Fisher anvils here.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/37409-fisher/

Lots of good info about them. Yours looks to be in very good condition and only needs hot steel hammered on it to shine up the face. Any grinding, milling or welding on it will do more harm than good. Square edges are detrimental to good forging.

Your anvil is 105 years old and you are now the 4th owner.   

Lightly wire wheel the anvil to clean off the heavy rust, and coat it with boiled linseed oil for protection.

Use the anvil for a year (2000 hours of hammer time) before you make any modifications or improvements to the anvil.  By then you should have had time to research and learn about blacksmithing and the use of an anvil.   Never do anything that can not be undone.  

You have a nice anvil. As Das and Irondragon have said DO NOT GRIND it. A wire wheel is as aggressive as you need to go. All the stamped in Salvage and Hare... I believe were later additions. 

Njanvilman runs the Fisher museum, I believe, and will probably find this thread. He just published a book on Fishers, so he may know a bit more than the average bear...

Enjoy it.

Glenn types faster than I do!

No sanding either. Wire brush it then beat hot steel on it and it'll shine right up. Honest it'll put a shine on that fine old lady's face in short time. Any steel you remove fro the face represents years of useful life gone forever.

Anvils weren't made to be pretty, they're tools and you have a beauty as she sits now. Shiny doesn't mean a thing to the HOT steel / iron you pound on it. Even cleaning it up is like putting lipstick on a pig, it doesn't change the taste of the bacon. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with taking a wire brush and preservative to it, it just doesn't make it a better tool. 

The real next step is to build a good stand the correct height for YOU and go to work using it.

Frosty The Lucky.

I don't advise railroad tie anvils as the creosote is quite toxic when you hammer hot steel on it.  Or did you mean Railroad Rail?

I have a book published in 1889 that says sharp edged anvils must be around because the user doesn't understand how forging works..."Practical Blacksmithing", Richardson, vol 1

Oops.railroad track***

Another thing. I found this on Facebook marketplace in Texas. I live near austin and the typical anvil price on marketplace is $10lb. Found this one for $5lb. Dropped everything and drove 6 hrs one way to get it. I didn't want a new one. I wanted a proven one with some history to go with it.

appreciate everyone's quick and knowledgeable responses. I tired to make a few things with the railroad anvil and just had to fight it the whole time. This is going to be a game changer. 

People on marketplace and clist always ask ridiculous prices for what they think are rare antiques. At $10 a pound you can buy new anvils. $5 a pound is top end $4 a pound is fair and $2-$3 is fair for something beat up. I paid $1 a pound recently for a 105 pound William foster that has no ring and won’t bounce a ball bearing half an inch. It’s not good for anything except a rusty decoration  or a door stop but I had a guy bring it by my shop and he needed money so now it sets In a back corner. Don’t get caught up on online pricing for used anvils they are not rare or hard to find. They are still just tools no different than buying any other used tools. You wouldn’t pay new price for a used welder or air compressor would you? 

From what I have read Postman has only documented 3 anvils known in the U.S. that matched one of my anvils. I don't know much about them even though I have had them for over 40 years but sounds like it might be a rarity in the U.S. I appreciate this forum I am learning a lot and hope to learn more. Most antiques go up in value and anvils are unique as being used does not seem to hurt their value. 

Not sure how true your statement is I have been looking for used anvils. Can you show some adds that supports your claim?

For starters a quick google search turned up that  tfs sells a brand new double horn 100 pound anvil on their website for $568 that comes out to $5.68 a pound for a new anvil with no marks no chips no cracks no grinding no welded spots ect.... there are many others if you do your research.  if you are checking your prices on Craigslist, eBay an Facebook then you are seeing the ridiculous prices I’m talking about. There are still plenty of modern anvil manufacturers in the world today that build new anvils at verifying prices. Continue reading on this site and you will find quite a few companies still producing. There is no reason in my opinion to pay $10 a pound for anything used when I can buy it new for that price or less... As for something being rare or antique I have accumulated multiple vises, anvils, blowers, tools machines  ect.. over the years some of which are pushing 200 years old. Some of which I’ve never been able to find another anywhere. Does being rare make them worth a small fortune? Not to me.... I find antique tools and machines frequently using the tpaaat method and it works very well if you haven’t already I suggest you read about it. You might even ask Thomas personally how cheap he finds anvils on the regular using his tpaaat method. 

try finding a anvil on this side of the pond is even harder. With extreme luck I found my Peter Wright in Belgium priced at $1,5 a pound, for an anvil 130+ years old she is in mint condition. For that price she was almost free. I have seen Vulcans go for $4 or $5 a pound. New anvils (if you can even find one) go between $7 and $10 a pound

Well, if age and history is important to you rather than tool quality you have to pay for it. I automatically include a heavy discount for claims of vintage, rare, antique when I bargain. I don't pay for rust on a using tool. Trying to sell something rusty and dirty will cost THEM, not me. 

Asking 10/lb. is a laugh and walk away opening, unless it's something extraordinary. I would've countered MAYBE $150, probably $100. If the seller doesn't howl your counter was too high.

Whatever history you're told is almost undoubtedly imaginary. Imagine your own, I do especially for an audience at a demo. You have better things to spend money on than age and imagined history. Make your own history on it to tell the grandkids when you pass it down.

Frosty The Lucky.