I Forge Iron

Bought a 205lb fisher need some info!

I have looked on the net but find very little. My son has found some sold prices that he said were very high. I know I never cared what I was beating on all these years. But once I got here it seemed to be important. This lead me to find out the rarity what even makes it harder to value. 

I've seen quite a few "I Hill" anvils; they seem about as common here as many of the other similar English brands. So they aren't really a rarity around here. I paid $1.15/lb for a nice 175lb English anvil a couple months ago (although this was a good deal in this area).

In terms of "rarity" this was a Royds Works anvil, which I don't think is even mentioned in Postman's book. I also have not seen another example of one (If anyone has one, I'd love to see a photo!). I suspect Royds Works just didn't make a whole lot of anvils. However, it works just the same as an anvil from any other more common maker. :)

On 3/13/2021 at 12:34 PM, rustyanchor said:

You have a nice anvil. As Das and Irondragon have said DO NOT GRIND it. A wire wheel is as aggressive as you need to go. All the stamped in Salvage and Hare... I believe were later additions. 

Njanvilman runs the Fisher museum, I believe, and will probably find this thread. He just published a book on Fishers, so he may know a bit more than the average bear...

Please follow the advise of others above in cleaning the anvil.  No grinding.  Just wire brushing/wheeling and any light oil to prevent future rust.

If you have specific questions about the anvil, post them here or PM to me.

If you want to learn the complete history of the company, please consider my book, "The History of Fisher & Norris, Eagle Anvil Works".  Only available at fishernorris.com or shop.fishernorris.com.  Thank you.

1044000880_Bookcover3.thumb.jpg.74eacd13c2597643fa51673fa20d80db.jpg

11 hours ago, Cholder777 said:

I know I could have bought a new one for this price. I didn't want a new one. I wanted one with history behind it. 

Should have gotten a ancient anvil (aka a rock) then, must be someone who would sell you that for a ridiculous price.

Pre dating Postman's book; I divide anvils into "Good" "Fair" and "Useless"  Doesn't matter WHO made it; even a top maker's anvil can be "Useless" due to  abuse, structure fire etc.  While interested in History, (What was Kelly's role in the expansion of the steel industry in the USA?), I consider the fixation on Maker and Date and "Rarity" of an anvil to just get in the way of USING them!  I also admit the lust for Huge anvils is rather ridiculous too; (Although I do suffer from "Anvil Envy"; shoot I coined the term a couple of decades ago; but I realize that bigger is not always better.) Most of the work in my shop is done on a 165# anvil and not on the 469# anvil close by it.)