I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

No real forging involved, but I made a new version of an old filing jig.  Grabbed some Tee nuts, 5/16 rod, a heim bolt, some 5/16 wing nuts, threaded rod, a bolt and bit of wood and glue/screws and Frankenfile was born....  Makes adjusting the angle a lot easier and I don't have to go from one hole to the other in reality for most of what I need it for.

Filing Jig.PNG

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Finished up a belt buckle I’ve been playing with, decorated with the design of the Chartres Cathedral labyrinth chased into the face. Not at all happy with the results, but a fun learning piece. 

7700C07C-8C78-4B93-A3CB-4D6DF5C9A55E.jpeg

JHCC,

Now, all you have to do is use the grooves to inlay brass wire.  ;-) (Good luck in calculating the length you will need.) I think your dissatisfaction may be from the fact that the lines are "wiggly".   I think it is cool and I'm sure you didn't knock this out in 15 minutes.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand." 

JHCC, did you transfer the design to the steel first?  I forget his name, but he has a post on how to do this and get good results. 

Since you aren’t happy with it, I expect you will do it over. I look forward to seeing it if you do. 

1. Draw the pattern more clearly and follow it better.
  2. Make some slightly different tooling to use in the tighter curves and corners.
  3. Not start out with the wrong tool that necessitated my hammering out some earlier work and starting over.
  4. Think about better ways to hold tool and workpiece while hammering. 

I first tried a Dremmel tool. What I resulted with was something that vaguely resembled my own very crude attempt at drawing a wolf. Looked like something a mother would say “Oh how precious!  Let me glue a magnet to that and put it on the fridge door with your cute T-Rex eating a cave man.”

John; Flood it with braze and grind it clean on a belt grinder!  

Rojo, hardy hole tooling, a hardy is a chisel.  I have an ex-pavement breaker hardy; found the broken off  "chisel" end at the scrapyard and forged the broken shaft to fit the hardy hole, been using it about 30 years now with lots of students!  Not too hard as it's easier to dress the hardy than a hammer face.  I also had to forge out the shaft end so I had something to hit to drive it out when a student used it in an anvil it was not supposed to go in!

Too depressed to work in the shop after work; but then storms swept through just to the north of us and it was so cool outside I had to go out and finish the walkway.  No rain for us; sigh.  My wife says that after I pay off the hoard perhaps I could borrow the money for the electricity.  With my job likely to disappear I don't want to dig into our savings any!

Ok, clean it up with laser engraving, inlay it with tungsten carbide, cast it in a block of basalt and drop it in a trench near a subduction zone.  Out of sight, Out of Mind!

With the domed surface have you thought of casting a tin backer for it for when you are working it?  (Lead is "traditional" but tin is user friendly...)

I had to look that one up. Talk about hobbies. 

About dropping things near subduction faults. When disposing of nuclear waste was really being fretted about I saw one scheme for storage. Plant a spent rod or whatever in a large container of sand and fuze it with an electric arc. Of course they were fretting about how "short" a time a block of fuzed silica a couple meters on a side would last before releasing the radioactives. 

I figured one would last a couple million years easy, especially if dropped directly into a subduction fault. Fuze them in a streamlined shape for good ocean floor penetration and aim for the fault on the subducting side. 

It's not like it'd pollute lava in any measurable way say 50 million years from now would it? 

Of course now we just recycle waste until we've squeezed all the energy we can from it and make bullets from the depleted uranium. Problem solved and the magma is safe. 

Frosty The Lucky.