• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There's been so much wonderful work done that I can't begin to catch up on commenting in one post. But everyone is doing so good.  Sorry I haven't been on much lately. Got out to the shop for the 1st time in about a month. This is a shepherd's hook. I used 1/2" round and squared it because that's what I had on hand. I was going to weld on the piece that goes in the ground but I decided to forge weld it and bend it back instead. I can see I need to straighten it a bit at the bottom. Ended up being about 19" tall and that is what I was wanting was a short one in case anyone wonders. Thanks for looking and y'all have a good day

20200602_161126.jpg

It came out nice Chellie.

The ground peg is just like a fire poker with a shorter hook. It's an easy trap to think of components like this as if they're different because they're on something else. 

How are you holding up Darlin?

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you Frosty and thank you for asking. I'm just taking it one day at a time. Keeping myself busy and trying to keep from wanting to be lazy and sleep. This hook is for my parents gravesite. I didn't want to mention that, but I figure I might as well. It was good therapy and I have another one to make and some crosses that I haven't quite decided on a design for yet. And when I was welding that up, I was thinking it looked like a fire poker and I've never made one. It's funny how forge welding seems kinda intimidating and yet today, I just decided to do it on the spur of the moment and it went smooth and easy. Didn't even use any flux. Can you recommend a good outdoor paint or finish? I don't really like paint, but if it's the best thing I'll use it. 

There are some good discussions of outdoor finishes in the Finishes section of the forum; take a look there.

I hear you about the good therapy; making my father's cremation urn certainly was that for me.

Thanks for reminding me of that JHCC.  I forgot, but I've read through it before. I remember the urn you made. My Dad would have loved that I'm making these things for them. I wasn't a smith before he passed away, but he'd be tickled that I am now. It was good work to do and my heart was certainly in it. I'm rusty and my hands are soft again. I wore in a couple of good blisters, but I kept going because I wanted to get the forging done today. Now onto finishing. And that's real nice Thomas. I'm picturing what these will look like with a little solar light hanging from them. 

3 hours ago, CrazyGoatLady said:

Can you recommend a good outdoor paint or finish? I don't really like paint, but if it's the best thing I'll use it. 

Chellie,  pretty much any finish is subject to deterioration outside and exposed to ultraviolet light.  As much as you dislike paint,  Rustoleum would probably last longer than most anything.

2 hours ago, CrazyGoatLady said:

I normally just use Varathane paste wax, but I don't know how well that holds up in the elements. Thank you Chris 

Unfortunately it's a huge misconception that wax is water-proof............it's not, it's only water resistant so it's not really an outdoor finish.  Galvanizing lasts the longest, but is the least attractive for what you are doing.

Thanks Jennifer. I should holler at you soon. Haven't had any girl talk in awhile ;)

I want a black finish, but not shiny. I guess I'll make a trip to look at paint soon. I need some new welding gloves also. Got a hole worn through on my lefty. No bueno 

A black, phosphate patina can be very long lasting, check a gun shop for "Parkerizing" kit or supplies. A phosphoric acid soak will do the same but a regular Parkerizing kit is already mixed, ready and has instructions. 

Will this be a permanent instillation or for occasions? 

A nice bud vase holder similar to lawn jewelry bottle / cup holder with a long spike, perhaps a screw to make it hard to steal. 

Might make a nice marketable product for the shop. 

Love and hugs Darlin. We're pulling for you.

Frosty The Lucky.

A traditional blacksmiths finish is linseed oil applied to hot metal.  The oil polymerizes and becomes a tough coating and while I can't recall anything I've made that lives outdoors with that finish, I do know it is tough.  Warm your piece in the forge (not red hot) and apply the oil with a rag rubbing it on everywhere while the piece is smoking.  Be cautious as the rag can catch fire.  

I dressed my first hammer today with what in the early afternoon was still a piece of Eucalyptus log. 

Luckily this head still had it's original hollow round wedge (with the piece of wood) in the head when I bought it, so I could re-use it. 

Linseed oil good for this one, too. (but just had sunflower oil at hand)

Lo, my brand-new 1.5lb cross peen. 

cross-peen-dressed.thumb.jpg.488c41b62a7413360cbb9ea3f0fa2110.jpg

I don't have a great picture of the "finished" product, but I did my first forging this weekend. My goal was to set up an outdoor workspace, get the forge lit, and see if I could heat metal. I ended up making something resembling a fire poker. 

Finished.jpg

That's great, TJ, but if you don't find a way to raise than anvil, you're going to end up looking like an old sharecropper who pulls a plow all day because he can't afford a mule.  You're going to destroy your back, young man.