• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There was a big discussion on having a like button here earlier and it was decided that being popular wasn't the same as being correct and when it came to sharing information; sharing correct information was deemed more important.

(Many examples of heavily "liked" bogus info on youtube---like the forge lined with plaster and sand----shudder shudder shudder!)

What happened here? I have done many hundreds of these bulls heads, bent round to make the handles of billy lifters and such. Never before has this happened. Steel was orange hot as usual, nothing different and it just opened up like this. Is it possible to have a piece of rubbish steel? It was new 10mm mild square bar. Right in the middle of a demo too!

broke1.JPG

broke2.JPG

At our last B.O.A. meeting (Saturday the 12th) the host member graciously gifted a small axe head to my wife. It was pretty grungy with some rust but looked like it may be forge welded Damascus. Over the next several days I cleaned it up with a Scotch Brite pad and 0000 steel wool. It is Damascus with a random pattern but looks very nice. Not knowing what steel it's made from, I decided to etch it with strong black instant coffee. It turned out really nice. I found an old broken hammer handle which I shaped to fit her grip to re-handle it. She now has a nice small scary sharp hatchet to take camping and make all of her camping buddies jealous.:)

The interesting thing about it is, the eye is drilled instead of punched & drifted.

100_2018.thumb.JPG.29ae5b25d11d161da5f925cf1a05654b.JPG

100_2019.thumb.JPG.2974c9ebf379bd20f249d68b3dab1160.JPG

100_2020.thumb.JPG.7406bf789eee41f840dc93d68e6c2237.JPG

Bad steel happens, iv ordered 12 feet of one inch round O1 before and had the entire thing be bad because of either too much phosphorous or sulfur. At that point theres not much salvage use for it either, even in scrapmascus.

I made 4 hook rulers from brass. We sheared 5 from a Walmart brass kick plate for a door. 1/8” chisel marks are close enough for blacksmithing. 320 chisel punches for one double sided ruler. Just about one evenings work per ruler. Gonna keep two and give away two. Don’t know if I want to do that again.

5AD91A65-99C6-41F5-84A4-A78841FBA169.jpeg

A55D387D-E35E-4EA0-880B-A1A67EFD3298.jpeg