• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great work. That is a beautiful and inspirational piece. Love the cut and "peeled" pipe for the holders, idea.

Don't know why the first thought in my mind about the wrapping was of a mummified cat. Could more easily been of a bowling pin. :rolleyes:

Another order for Brisbane, Alexandr! Well done! I like the pipe idea for the candle holder too.

(I wonder if you can pronounce 'Brisbane' properly. Our friends in the U.S. seem to have problems with that!)

My sister bought me this Estwing chipping hammer for Christmas. The edge is really sharp and I hardly ever stick weld, and never at home so I decided to make a splitting chisel out of it. It worked awesome. 

20190112_155402.thumb.jpg.e6ccb63bffeca3ea7c6ebb3ffccb0746.jpg

They're only about 14 bucks on Amazon. I highly suggest this to anyone who does splitting. 

Yes slitting chisel, as used for slitting or slicing metal.  I started making a "cook book holder opener" for my wife (I'll put it in critique my work when I finish it).  It has two longhorn steers and I used this to slit the 1/2 square stock.  I was able to slit 2" in only two heats.   

9 hours ago, ausfire said:

I wonder if you can pronounce 'Brisbane' properly. Our friends in the U.S. seem to have problems with that!

HI!

Thank!

Probably I can say. At 83 I was in Australia, near Brisbane, in Perth.I worked in the Far Eastern Shipping Company.

Well, if you've been in Brisbane and travelled to Perth, you've seen a fair bit of Australia!

I googled FESCO … what a huge company! 5000 employees and 70 offices around the world. Container ships, ferries, ice breakers - the whole deal. How long were you here and did you enjoy your stay in Australia?

Took the forge to an SCA event yesterday; had a lot of fun teaching several folks doing their first project. Loading and unloading was a bit of a strain as I'm recovering from a sinus infection.   Today I went to two fleamarkets, (bought a handled 3/4" punch for US$3) and a student of mine bought a granite sink cut out to use for leather tooling for $2---he's multitalented!) Then went and hung with Pep as he was trimming a leg on his rolling mill so it would fit closer to the induction forge and chambersburg (one of the 4 powerhammers in his shop) and leave the path clearer out to the 100 ton press...I tend to dehydrate rapidly in his shop do to drool losses.

They are terrible where I am out here at compared to back in Columbus Ohio.  However checking them regularly means I get a shot at any stuff that does come in. I consider the brisk walk part of my exercise program.  Helps me practice my Spanish. Talking with people is what gets them to bring in rusty junk they wouldn't bother with.

I cut my log to the right height today so I could finally get my anvil off the ground. It was nice not forging in a chair. I also took another stab at forge welding a fire poker, I got enough welded to draw out the point, so semi success I guess.

20190114_144922.thumb.jpg.3336e3042fa10bb58e6c3a44eed93d08.jpg

20190114_144956.thumb.jpg.12715a1b9a58ca150572ccb5f8a1ae8f.jpg

20190114_144951.thumb.jpg.cf296e2a48657919a16ddc9a3b8d846f.jpg

Also here's a picture of the forge since I welded the walls on it the other day.

20190114_144853.thumb.jpg.3f12a0de1049249aa609df167dedd944.jpg

Looking good Pr3ssure. 

It could help to upset the stock where it will be folded and welded and deffinately draw out your first point before the fold and weld to draw out the welded point. 

I find upsetting a interesting and fun technique, but then again, I'm weird haha. 

Pipe 1 "is also suitable for e-12, e-14 lamp holders.

On 1/13/2019 at 4:35 AM, ausfire said:

How long were you here and did you enjoy your stay in Australia?

:(My English is terrible. Our ship loaded 3 days in the port of Perth. I went ashore only once, for several hours. These are all my impressions of Australia.

15.jpg

IMG_2131.JPG

1.jpg

Welding the stem on leaves has always been a problem for me, but I think I found a better way to do it. It's a simple butt weld, but a small gap is left between the stem and the sheet metal. This allows a much better weld as all the surfaces are welded together. I like to bend my leaves in the middle, which puts a big strain on the weld (usually resulting in cracks where surfaces are not connected). I still get little pin holes and irregularities, but the connection is solid. 

Here's a quick leaf I did this evening to test the weld

Ei7BYED.jpg

I ground the weld flat, then put it in the oven and pounded it flatter still and at an orange heat. The outlines of the weld are visible at that point which can then be ground out smooth with a flapper disc on the grinder. Then it's ready to be shaped however you like. The hammering of the weld spreads it out which makes for a nice transition from the stem into the leaf. You can also get rid of pin holes this way, although the bigger occlusions need grinding or filing. If you're a halfway decent welder you won't have those problems. 

Ted