• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

irondragon forge & Clay.   Thanks looks like it was a double layup  exactly what I was looking for..  

Mudman, nice bottle openers.. I have never made one.. :) 

duckcreekforge.  Wonderful work..  I love making rulers or measuring devices..  They are gorgeous..  How thick.. 

yup. bunch of great work there 58er

In which gauge system? There are several out there and non-ferrous metals traditionally used a different system than ferrous metals.  It's really best to go decimal inches or metric is you need to nail down a thickness!

if you search on sheet-metal-gauge-chart you will find a number of examples, the  Metal Supermarkets page has a specific ones for brass, copper, several types of steel; but doesn't list what system they are using. exp  for Brass on their system 18 ga   =  .04030

another example to show how different gauge systems can differ:

Gage No. 18                    Size in Inch

Steel Gage                           0.0478

Birmingham Gage (B.G.)    0.0495

Galvanized Sheet Gage       0.0516

Zinc Gage                              0.055

Learned about differing gauges from being in the SCA where one requirement for a helm (Armour) to fight in used to be just listed as 16 gauge till folks ran into differing thicknesses.....

1 hour ago, alexandr said:

In the autumn I made a chandelier. I began to make the decor of aged pine on the fireplace in the same style. The work is very dusty, worked on the street. Today frost -15. I had to dress warmly.

Alexandr,

Congratulations on another beautifull  work.

I know you cannot send me, somehow, your very enviable skills. However, could we come to some agreement with regards to your boots ? This morning was -27 Cº  over here.

A couple of weeks ago I posted some twists and an overhand knot in a railroad spike.  I was challenged to make a figure 8 knot. 
Challenge accepted. 
A figure 8 retrace. 
Why do something simple when you can overdo it. 
This was mostly work with the tongs and pliers/visegrips. That was good since I had aggravated an old tendon injury in my forearm using a heavy hammer to taper these. This was a chance to get in the shop without much hammering. 
I still need to dress it up a bit and tighten the coils.

20190119_123252.jpg

20190119_121924.jpg

20190119_141034.jpg

Hi All,

New to the forum today.  Today, I wheeled out the tools for working tomorrow.  Thus far I have only created my own tools, propane forge, and a few art pieces from mild steel.  Tomorrow I plan to attempt my first blade from a piece of leaf spring.

Excellent..  Freezing rain, and super cold here today.. 0 by tonight..  Looking forwards to your knife.. 

18 hours ago, psacustomcreations said:

A couple of weeks ago I posted some twists and an overhand knot in a railroad spike.  I was challenged to make a figure 8 knot. 

The easy way to do it.. Is you start out with large knot..   Open.. 

then you grab a come-along and a 2 wire pullers or a solid loop.. in other words some way to grab both ends of the knot.. 

With a good even heat on the knot..    Pull it closed..    This method is by far the fastest and most accurate why I found..   the only problems is the metal has got to be where you want it to start because once you start pulling you'll have a hard time stopping to re position any of the rods.. 

That is similar to the technique I was using to tighten my overhand knot. 

For this one, the first knot was not too bad to make. It was trying to weave the second knot and fit the pieces in the forge at the same time that made it challenging.

I was going to break out the OA torch for some localized heating but wanted to try this using only the forge. 

That probably made it harder on myself but I still have a lot to learn. 

The bosh is the reservoir for the water-cooled tuyere on my forge. It’s the vertical part on the left in this photo:

68E7E6A1-219E-44BF-BC4A-4EE33EAD6FD6.jpeg

If it were to freeze, the ice expanding could easily pop a weld and make the tuyere leak. We don’t want that. 

Thank you for the quick answer.

My water drum beside the forge is steel. I had installed (too mechanicaly chalendged to do it myself …) a block heater. Took me years to think about it and the village mechanic. No more  winter long emptying a (too) small water bucket and carrying a new supply every morning. It was the emptying that got to me the most ! This  block heater idea might be possible for you as a solution for the colder periods. I have mine on a timer. It heats the water drum (November to April more or less) for 1/2 hour every hour and 1/2.

Since I do not like my steel drum and would prefer a wooden cask, I'll have to see if a block heater can be installed on this. I'll ask the village mechanic who is mechanicaly gifted …