I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

I don't have the propane going through the acetylene regulator, just through the hose. The hose seems to be made of a similar material to the propane hose, but I don't know for sure. 

I disconnect the hose when not in use so I'm not real worried about it blowing the house up. I also shut off all gas valves before leaving the shop. 

Thanks for the warning though, you can't be too careful. 

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ted, look up oxy fuel hose ratings.  There are types that are for acetylene only,  and others that are for both acetylene and propane.  Propane in the acetylene-only lines will degrade the hose- leading to leaks or ruptures.  I figured replacing my hoses was cheap insurance against catastrophe.

Ted: If the hose isn't marked for propane it's NOT safe to use with propane. You need to discard the hose you used as propane is very chemically aggressive and does B-A-D things to rubber not rated. Just stopping doesn't stop the badness from progressing. I have no idea what the threshold is but welding trade schools were pretty adamant about one use for any length of time is 86 it time.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Frosty, I didn't realize that. Apparently there are 2 different ratings of hose: type R and type T. Type R  is the older stuff you mentioned, but type T is tolerant of a wider variety of gases, including propane. The rating isn't listed on my hose, so I'll assume it's the R type. I'll pick up some new hose.

Getting set up to fill/tig weld 3200 1/4" holes  in 400 aluminum panels that are 64" long and.050 thick for a Frank Lloyd Wright building I am working on. First I have to pop out and sand dents, machine plugs to fill holes, tig weld, sand welded areas and send off to anodizing. This project will take 10 months to complete.

pressplates assembly.jpg

DSC04821.jpg

DSC04822.jpg

DSC04816.jpg

Today I tried to move a 18" diameter log that was frozen upright to the ground. I was not successful, despite much effort.

I first "undermined" the log about 1" all the way around its perimeter, in hopes of reducing its contact area with the ground. I then had a 5' digging bar under it with a fulcrum about 3" out from the point of contact, and I was putting all my weight on the other end of the bar. The log remained stuck. Log - 1, me - 0.

Is there some technique for this sort of thing that might help? Or do I just have to wait until the ground thaws in the spring?

Thanks!