I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Nice work..    May I suggest a preform before you get going making it wider.. A pre-form is a basic shape that is much smaller size wise but has the needed material to make the shape full sized once forged..     Also check out the video on directional forging or peening practice..  The combination of flat face, round face and peen will get your leaf cleaned up nicely.. 

@Ted Ewert nice hinges.. did you punch the holes or drill them.. Sorry I didn't see them earlier.. 

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, I thought about that after I posted it. So it may be that it's straight I was having trouble. I just need to look at it tomorrow.

I need to get a cross peen hammer. Well, I have a 2.5 pound one I got from Lowes so I need to find it. Although that's a little heavy for me right now. I'm using a ball peen that's 1.5 lb and I have a straight peen 2.5 lb as well.

i finished my first hammer today, its made from an old machine axle its about 3.1kg or 6 pounds. the handle is a store bought one since i don't have any hickory at hand or know where to find it around here. 

its got a round side and a flat side. the main plan is to use it to move the bulk off material and the continue with a smaller hammer.

i hardend it an then oven temperd it at 255°c/490°f for about 3 hours so i'm ver curious how it will preform.

IMG_20190108_142729.jpg

IMG_20190108_142740.jpg

Nothing wrong with that handle, although you might seriously consider thinning it down somewhat about a third of the way from the head. That will make it much more comfortable, as large handles require a tighter grip, leading to cramped fingers and tired arms.

3 hours ago, ADHD-forge said:

the main plan is to use it to move the bulk off material and the continue with a smaller hammer.

I have a 6# like that and its great for moving larger material. Just don't over do it. It gets heavy after a bit. 

Yeah, I'm not that good with a plasma cutter. Takes me a while to clean up my cuts. Boy would it be nice to have a cnc plasma cutter. :) lol theres always something nicer out there. Use what you got till you can upgrade IF you even need to upgrade. Besides its fun hammering out a leaf. Now hammering out 100 leaves in an hour would take a lot of practice. 

43 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

Use what you got till you can upgrade IF you even need to upgrade. Besides its fun hammering out a leaf.

HI!

I'm not young anymore. Make it easier to work wherever possible.

51 minutes ago, Pr3ssure said:

There's an OxyAcetylene torch in the shop though

I use acetylene only for local heating and brazing.

40.jpg

41.jpg

43.jpg

Oh, Pr3ssure, got a picture of my veining chisel last night to show what I mean about the curve. This one works well for me. You don't want it sharp either. This is just mine, others do it differently but this works well for me. Made from coil spring.

20190107_205444.jpg

I use a piece of sheet metal, draw out the leaf on it, cut it out as close as I can with a portable bandsaw and finish it on the belt grinder. I can knock one out in about 10 minutes, which is fine for me. The grinder removes a lot of material if needed and also allows for finer contouring if you use the rollers and edges.