• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Excellent, I have some large Lilac's that could use some grooming.  I will remember that next time I make garden supports. the one's I have made were solid rings but used for young plants that the support would fit over the plant.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sails. ~ Semper Paratus

I spent Saturday with “The Little Blacksmith” at our joint meeting with the Louisiana Metalsmiths Association and the Gulf Coast Blacksmith Association, in Robert, La, but unfortunately I didn’t take any pictures. Mark spent the morning helping one of our 14 yr old members demonstrate making an elephant head then spent the evening helping members make rounding hammers. 

Saturday I started a small blacksmith knife after working with a new young man at our hammer in. Well, yesterday I got it finished:

3656A7AF-BABA-4042-84F7-1193EBD0F008.jpeg.e6ab643c8c419c100bf90357afdcea6c.jpeg

It was make from a cutoff of 52100 from another project.

Saturday, I also won the door prize (a nice set of tongs), so I’m responsible for next month’s door prize. Thought about what to make for a while and settled on making a hardie cone. Tonight I got my angle block saddle die finished up and roughed out the cone:

27FB5FA3-2C06-4150-9C51-1DFA1F5DCCF1.jpeg.b80f87d29c051db4c85f635a7801fc93.jpeg

Block is forklift tine on a 1/4” mild saddle. (Don’t look too close at the welds, they’re pretty ugly.)

696D8494-878F-442D-9782-833D2EB6D6C6.jpeg.14cd15620b87e5971546b1ca6a834305.jpeg

Cone is rough forged out a from a 2” diameter tie rod from a hydraulic press. We had lots of problems with this press type breaking these rods and started making them out of 4340. (I’m pretty sure this one is 4340.) Hopefully, tomorrow I’ll get some more shop time to finish it up.

Keep it fun,

David

I knocked together a stand to hold the railings for painting. This is based on a couple of rods welded onto the old mobile base of my grinder; these fit into the bolt holes on the mounting brackets and hold the railings securely up in the air.

IMG_6852.thumb.jpeg.053648504ea875b6856b4cc7cbaaa9d3.jpeg

And a drill-powered spray paint can agitator:

IMG_6855.thumb.jpeg.df67152613c2725364796d858226ac61.jpeg

IMG_6857.thumb.jpeg.29a429b2ab4bcd78101592f908e78593.jpeg

About a month ago I forged a hammer for myself. It is made of 1045 steel. The handle is a plain hickory handle with fractal burning done on it. I did a ton of research before attempting this. I did use the lichtenburg method because It is the easiest for me. After that I wire brushed it and poured 2 part epoxy with blue food coloring to fill in the fissures. Sanding and a coat of beeswax and linseed oil provides a nice finish. 

I am making another currently for a friend. It is a hickory octagonal handle. A little more tricky to do because of the angles. I have epoxies most of it but am going back over it to fix what I missed.

Emery

20230513_151755.jpg

20230507_091447.jpg

20230507_091443.jpg

20230507_091435.jpg

20230616_165255.jpg

20230616_170112.jpg

20230616_164949.jpg

Nice looking hammer Emery, what does the head weigh? Fractal burning cut grooves in the wood in this case and you filled them with epoxy? I like the pattern it's very organic in a rooty way.

Good thing I don't think I've ever had a martini I liked. Eh John? Olives YES, martinis not so much.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you. I started with a chunk of steel that was 2lb 8oz and ended up with a hammer head that weighs 1lb 10oz. I have wanted to use it but haven't done much forging since and i am torn because i wanna keep it nice but also use it. I'll probably use it when I go visit a friend in two weeks. 

Basically in order to be able to burn into the wood you soak the handle in water and baking soda for 5 minutes before you burn. It is the most important step.

Safety alert:

Lichtenburg method or fractal burning of wood is extremely dangerous and can kill you.  

How dangerous?  The American Association of Woodturners has banned the use of this process at all of its events and has banned articles about use of a fractal burner in all of its publications.

26oz is a nice working weight for a hammer, especially with a long handle. A "nice" forging hammer shows it has worked, sweat blood and tears staining the handle, the face and pein showing the natural scuffing from scale.

This won't be your last hammer will it? How will you  know what changes to make on the next one if you don't put in hours using this one?

I see we're typing at the same time Glenn. How about some details about the dangers of Fractal burning? I'd do some searching but from your post you've done that already. A link perhaps, Please?

Frosty The Lucky.

Many hits on a subject search, most advise against it due to the use of electricity during the process.  PPE and cautions do not remove the dangers. 

Safety alert means learn all you can on a subject and understand the dangers before you try it.  No reason to get hurt of killed just because the opportunity is available.

had to look up fractal burning and Lichtenburg patterns.  According to Wikipedia 33 folk have died from using this technique between 2017 and 2022.  The result looks cool but, IMO, not worth the risk.  Hard pass for me.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

I've seen a bunch of videos and reports on the dangers. One that survived a slight second of not paying attention lost at least a bunch of his fingers or his hand. (Been a while since I watched on it). It was all enough to make me never want to try it. 

Similar enough could be done with some dremmel work, a torch, and sandpaper.