I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Thank you EJ! I think I will be doing some more of em' as they are so simple, and you could make a lot out of one billet. if they sell well that is...I think they would, especially with the forged in fire fans, who are crazy about Damascus. I did about 4 others using some scraps of chainsaw chain that i had, but the patterns are so big that it doesn't look too good on a small item.

Littleblacksmith

• Replies 26.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd call your hanging trivet a grill myself as that's what it is...or a grid iron.  You have enough stock there that you could chisel little )('s  on it to infill the gaps and lighten the look---though it looks fine as it is.  (Call it an el Escorial special)

Ok, thank you!  I think I will keep this one as is, it will be given to my cousin. I have already spent a lot of time on it! the next one i will just use smaller stock.

ya'll think it could be used as a grill?

Littleblacksmith

John: Doing the photo spread of your helm in the kitchen kept me wondering if you were going to include a crock pot label as a crest or achievement. 

LBS. Grill refers to the shape that's why you have to include what kind when you talk about them: BBQ grill, window grill, Edsel grill, etc.

Whatever you call it, it has an attractive solidity to it making it an all round grate grill the whole cook set is nice.

The Mastermyr chest had a similar if lighter hanging grill and there's been quite a bit of speculation on how it was used, some folk think they built the fire on it others under it. 

Frosty The Lucky.

It's a little overkill and a long way from being fully trusted for a lot of weight but the better half already claimed for a bucket I made this winter...something about her flowers would do better on a swivel.  Saw this on U tube and wanted to see if was doable for me.

image.jpeg

ground a Damascus bowie and made the guard. tomorrow I'll probably heat treat it.

ground a small knife forged from leaf spring, and when I went to center punch the two pin holes, the first one I did was the one at the end of the handle, and it went fine. The second one was closest to the blade, and one hit, and I looked at the mark, and there was none! It had flattened the end of my center punch it was so hard. So, being the stubborn ignorant person I am, I hit it again. It broke the handle! that sucker was hard as glass, and I don't even know why, because I hadn't heat treated it, and just let it air cool after normalizing it. And, the end of the handle was soft. Thoughts?

So tomorrow I will make another one....

Also the other day I forged the socket more shut, and today got it welded, it went good. Thanks guys, it this was very much a learning experience! and thank you Kaleb for giving me the chance to make this for you! tomorrow is heat treating it, along with the Damascus knife, so cross your fingers that it goes well.

Littleblacksmith

IMG_6662[1].JPG

IMG_6664[1].JPG

IMG_6660[1].JPG

IMG_6661[1].JPG

On 2017. 07. 04. at 2:39 AM, littleblacksmith said:

Also started on a 2.5lb rounding hammer (yes this one will be for you Gergely if things go as planned)

I did as much as I can with a hand hammer, so forged the billet square (started as 2" round), and then punched the eye, which took only a little more than 2 heats.

Littleblacksmith

Wow, Mark you're fast! That's looking pretty good for a start ;) 

I've just got back from the archeo-smelting camp - just checkin in and going to sleep a bit. The camp was amazing. Interesting and hard work, nice people, great memories. Trying to load some pictures tomorrow! (To a different thread)

Bests:

Gergely

7 hours ago, JHCC said:

Do you have a photo of the completed/reforged socket?

I will be heat treating it today, so after I finish it, I will be sure to get pictures.

4 minutes ago, Gergely said:

Wow, Mark you're fast! That's looking pretty good for a start ;) 

it may be a while though till it sees the fire again...need a darn striker!

I will be waiting to see the write out of how it went! Glad you made it back in one piece, or so it sounds!

Littleblacksmith

here's that bowie before heat treating, cross your fingers that it goes well, would be a shame to have the blade crack! Will also be interesting to do a comparison in the pattern before and after heat treating.

IMG_6666[1].JPG

IMG_6667[1].JPG

Will also polish the blade more before etching, this etch was just to get an idea of what the pattern will be, and so didn't go to as high of a grit as I should have, because I haven't heat treated it yet.

Littleblacksmith

Yes that is chain Damascus. It was the double height chain. the thing with chain is that there is a lot of air in-between it all, and a lot to get stuck together. It's not bad, just take more chain than you think you need!

Littleblacksmith

here is the billet before welding

IMG_6574[1].JPG

IMG_6572[1].JPG

or you can make an anvil hold down.

Littleblacksmith

Made these for my new (In the works) home office...14 more to go. These will hold ruff cut oak shelving surrounding the office for holding antique knick knacks...Cans, bottles, etc. Still need to drill monting holes and re-heat / brush / wax.  Made from 1" flat stock and 1/2" square bar. plug welded from the back...I know rivets wold look better. Hoping to have these down to 4  brackets every 2 hours+.

Thanks for looking...Bruce 

20170706_082259.jpg

20170706_082306.jpg

How many are you working at a time?  With my forge I'd put 4 in at a time and the ends would take 1 heat each end, the middle bend 1 heat, the twist 1 heat with a fixture so the ends are held and all you do is to spin the twisting wrench in the middle and then making the arc with a wooden mallet and a form to get it done in one heat.

1 minute ago, Dylan Sawicki said:

I went to the steel supplier just to get some drops, and some new 1/2 round and 1/2 square. Is 12 dollars a good price for 20 feet of 1/2 round?

That's about 90 cents per pound. A bit more than I pay for drops, but then again, I live in a steel-producing area.

22 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

Yes that is chain Damascus. It was the double height chain

23 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

here's that bowie before heat treating

Very nice looking result.  Can you talk a bit about your process?  

I'm assuming there is no weld, fold, weld, fold, repeat... iteration for this, as there is for other Damascus?  Just start with the lump of chain and weld it all together once?

How many heats does that take?  Are you using flux?  Is it important to degrease the chain before starting or does it all burn off?

Never having tried this, I have these absolute beginner questions...

Thanks - Dave