I Forge Iron

For the last 4 months or so I have tried to be a blacksmith, construction worker, and farmer. Soething has got to go and unfortunately it is the former. I was planning on going to three more events this year but I simply don't have time to make stuff. I hate going to an event with a dinner bell, two hooks and a leaf neclace. (I.E. unprepared) I have about 30 regular products, and the preveous list was what I took to the last demo.:mad: I haven't forged since the last demo I did. (about 3 weeks) I haven't even had time to look at my blower to see if I could fix it.
So, I figured I'll just quit for the next year or two. (until we slow down a bit) Sure I pobably will not be able to makeanything when I start again but, maybe I'll meet a smith to apprentice under in town.
Thoughts?

This is an opportunity for you to fine tune some skills, develop new ones and get some inventory set aside - all at your own pace (when you have the time). There will be times when the lights in the shop never burn at all, as well, there will be some good chances to spend some concentrated time at the anvil. The only pressure you feel is that which you place on yourself.
Enjoy yourself, have fun; if you take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.

Dave, I would encourage you to not 'give up', but rather, to look at it as a temporary change of plans.
I've had long periods in my life that I didn't do much smithing due to working at carpentry, constuction, and yes.......farming.

Does this sound familiar?

There is an old saying about farming........."every one else goes out to work........farmers wake up surrounded by it"

Even today, I,m still pressed for time to do all the things I want to do.
I still farm a little, help my son with his lawncare business, take my grandson to little league.......and smith when I can.

I am reminded that I have orders for little Christmas things which I must get forged.
Anyway Dave, think of it as a 'break'........and good luck to you!

James Flannery

Dave, I was forced to quit blacksmithing 2.5 years ago after 55 years of making a living at smithing, because of a back injury. Not a day goes by that I don't dream of some job or thing I have done in the past. I truly loved smithing, but I haven't given up, I still do an occassional small job for an old customer or something for myself.

I haven't given up by any means, its just that my mind wants to make contracts my body can't deliver on. Your mind isn't dead, just use it to go step by step thru something you want to do, its amazing how you can visualize a mistake or a better easier way of doing something.

Real life sucks doesn't it Dave?

I know how you feel, I've been smithing since I was maybe 10 and the real deal smiths do more in a year than I have my whole life.

During the 19 years I was drilling I was lucky if I got to light a fire at home every 6 mos or so. I did more in a camp fire on whatever piece of steel I could find than with my "real" anvil and tools.

I got laughed at at work too. Blacksmith? Hardy har HAR! That was till the time I was able to forge a track tensioner prosthetic and limp the drill rig some 32 miles back to a place we could load it on a truck. Saved the state a good $75-100,000. If I hadn't been able to pull off that stunt they would've had to haul all the equipment, tools and personnel out to the site ASAP. It was remote but there were lots of visitors so if we'd left the rig there more than a couple days we would've ended up with a stripped burned out hulk. That or someone else would've made a patch and taken it home.

Anyway, delayed satisfaction is a LONG way from giving up. You'll always have to decide between what you want to do and what you need to do. Deciding on the necessary does NOT mean giving up on the desirable.

Hang in there brother, we're pulling for you.

Frosty

I agree with what the others have said, you can just ease off on the commitments to be at some show for awhile and during that time when not under pressure you can stock up on inventory, or better yet forge the things that you would like.
One thing never changes for me though I always feel like I don't have enough stuff when I am doing a show, and I normally bring a full pickup load with me.

I worked in my shop making stuff for myself and gifts for 4 years before doing my first public demo. This way you build your skills and your "bag of projects" before you demo. I have probably half a dozen demo pieces I can make, and if a spectator has a project for me I can usually figure out what I need to do to make it. I would suggest finding a guild or a local blacksmith to "hang out" with rather than concentrate on apprenticing. Take notes, practice your skills and get back on the horse. I enjoy demo's and usually sell enough to make it worth my while. Sales at demo's are down, they like my stuff, they just don't buy. I have seen your work, and you have a great start to some skills that will be in demand in the future. Best of Luck.

Dave, I agree with everyone, take some time but don't 'give up'. You don't appear to be a quitter to me and once you start quitting it makes it easier the next time. I have visited your families web site and I believe you have something worth while to contribute. We have a tendency to over commit ourselves sometimes and learning when and what to say 'no' to often comes after much stress. The idea of hooking up with a blacksmith guild/club or whatever you want to call it is an excellent idea. They usually meet once a month, you can 'get in the fire', learn a new technique, meet and make new friends, and learn how to make cool items that you could later sale, if you are so inclined. Once a month or even once every 2 months will keep the skills you have already accuired and still give you some time off. Do the meetings FIRST for fun and then to learn. Take care and don't be a stranger here on IFI. You still can have good input even if you aren't 'real active'.

The only reason there is to be at the forge every day is if you're a full time smith and it's your day job. If you're a hobbiest or part timer like me you can spend weeks away from the forge and still be a blacksmith at heart. Even the old time country smiths had to take time off to make hay, cut firewood, plant gardens, make babies, etc, etc.

Thanks! 'll pull everything out now and again, but the forging 4/5 days a week are gone for now.

Hi fiery. That's not quitting. I am getting dangerously close to the once per month level. The farm park where I work has shut down the smithy due to fire danger, and once it reopens, they may have other work for me. Things change. I just retired one forge at home, and just have one tiny toolmaking forge left. Many of my friends are experiencing downtime as well.

One old master told me if you can't do, daydream. It's almost as good. That didn't make much sense, but this old guy really is a master, and I've learned to listen to his type. Of course, "daydreaming" includes measuring, sequencing, setting down, drawing out, upsetting, etc, in your mind. Then, when you finally fire that forge up, you will be a flurry of well-planned activity.

Also, another master told me that for fine motor control skills like blacksmithing, you will experience substantial backsliding after about two weeks off. Time for "hit the X". I sometimes carry a 2 lb hammer, a sharpie and a 1x2 stick in my backpack. Don't do this on an airplane or in the lobby waiting for an interview. :o I was once doing this in the park, and some kids came by to see what was going on. They were amazed at how challenging this simple game could be. One of the parents even thanked me for training some discipline and concentration in his boy.

There are days when I feel like inviting you all over and have you take your pick of what ever you can pick up and walk off with and maybe that ain't a half bad idea. However I keep hoping for better health. If your under fifty hang in there and box your tools up, you can dig them out later and if you are over eighty let the estate sale handle them for you.

And I thought I was the only one that don't have time. I drive a big truck for a living and I have been off work for about three weeks, My Appendex went sour and I had to have surgery on the road and got put in the hospital up in Elizabethtown,Ky. I am back to about 90 % and will be back in THE ROLLING PRISON on Monday. I'm not looking forward to it , but Man has to do ,What man has to do. I will normaly get home late friday nites or saturday morning, Then have to leave back out on Sunday morning, So I can relate with you about not having anytime. Sometimes you just have to Sqeeze in the time. I wish you well, I know everything will work it self out for you....Tom

Like most others who have responded to your somewhat sad post, I agree that you see your decision as a lay off rather than an end.... but of more significance, is the overwhelming support that you have received from the members of this forum.

Most of us are relative strangers to one another, but I have garnered a feeling that every reply from your fellow smiths, be they occasional iron bangers or full timers, has been genuine and caring. If you take the trouble to re-read the replys, I think you will see what I mean.

So, while I wish you all the best in whatever direction you ventures take you, I also note with much delight, the kindheartedness of those fine people who caringly choose to respond to your posting.

I, for one, am happy to be assocciated with such a fine bunch of people.

Regards,

Kevan