I Forge Iron

Mouse Hole Anvil

Savage11

1 hour ago, Stash said:

Doesn't look very rough from my vantage point- just looks well used, as expected. Sounds like a good deal unless there's major chunkage missing from the other side.

Steve

Its missing a foot on the other side. No major damage.

Can I mirror TP? Only exception might be a non-knotted wirebrush to knock the loose nasties off then a light coat of oil. Fogging oil, WD, Boiled Linseed... 

Just avoid abrasives. A time may come for that down the line, but the time is not now. Get some hot steel on her and work it in. You'll learn what you like about her!

Have you had a chance to do a ring test and rebound test? 

What's her weight? 

Sweet find!

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

Only thing that anvil needs is a lot of hot steel pounded on it's face!  DON'T try to *improve* it!!! (Especially with so little experience smithing.)

I have zero interest in doing anything to her other than working hot metal. I think its from the 1840s. 

Just now, CtG said:

Can I mirror TP? Only exception might be a non-knotted wirebrush to knock the loose nasties off then a light coat of oil. Fogging oil, WD, Boiled Linseed... 

Just avoid abrasives. A time may come for that down the line, but the time is not now. Get some hot steel on her and work it in. You'll learn what you like about her!

Have you had a chance to do a ring test and rebound test? 

What's her weight? 

Sweet find!

I think she weights about 116 pounds its hard to read the numbers. Her rebound is fantastic. I pounded hot iron on her yesterday for the first time. 

10 minutes ago, Savage11 said:

I think she weights about 116 pounds its hard to read the numbers. Her rebound is fantastic. I pounded hot iron on her yesterday for the first time. 

Wonderful! Congrats!

If you get a chance, give her a brush-and-oil and snap some more pictures. 

I'm a complete greenhorn myself, but from what I've heard, Mousehole has quite the heritage. 

What kind of bathroom scale do you have where you can't read the numbers?

I have a Peter Wright that is missing a foot too; I love that kind of anvil as it doesn't affect using it and does drop the price substantially. I do fine it odd as mine doesn't have any abuse on the face---but is missing a foot???? Broken off too.

22 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

What kind of bathroom scale do you have where you can't read the numbers?

I have a Peter Wright that is missing a foot too; I love that kind of anvil as it doesn't affect using it and does drop the price substantially. I do fine it odd as mine doesn't have any abuse on the face---but is missing a foot???? Broken off too.

My anvil doesnt have a bathroom scale nor do I. Im not sure how the foot broke off. I can only assume it was dropped or wacked with a sledge/hammer or something. I think the history behind it is fasinating, wish the anvil could talk.

5 hours ago, SLAG said:

An alternative is going to a feed store.

They have scaleshave scales that will easily weigh an anvil.

A few donuts should motivate them to weigh your anvil.

SLAG.

You could also go to the chemist with the anvil in your arms and weight yourself, then put her down and weight yourself again ... and work out the difference ... :)

40 minutes ago, arkie said:

Savage, if you can, borrow or buy the book Mousehole Forge, by Richard Postman. Fascinating reading about the forge and the anvils themselves.

That is a must read on my list. Should be available online I would think.

Savage, I don't have a link for you, but a couple of years ago, my son ordered both Anvils in America and Mousehole Forge for me as a Christmas gifts and bought them directly from Richard Postman...don't know if you can still do that.  As I recall, the price(s) were cheaper from him than other sources, and Postman even autographed them for me.  You might do a search for some webpage of his or something like it.

3 hours ago, arkie said:

Savage, I don't have a link for you, but a couple of years ago, my son ordered both Anvils in America and Mousehole Forge for me as a Christmas gifts and bought them directly from Richard Postman...don't know if you can still do that.  As I recall, the price(s) were cheaper from him than other sources, and Postman even autographed them for me.  You might do a search for some webpage of his or something like it.

How cool is that?! :D My MH is very similar in age, and also has phenomenal rebound, and just a bit of a swayback to keep life interesting.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2020 at 12:48 AM, tanglediver said:

How cool is that?! :D My MH is very similar in age, and also has phenomenal rebound, and just a bit of a swayback to keep life interesting.

My anvil is indeed old, but it has more talent than I.

10 minutes ago, tanglediver said:

Anvils have potential as tools, only people can have talent. But desire to learn can also count for much. You'll do fine! :D 

Thank you sir, just wish I had more time to learn. Work and living in the sticks takes a ton of my time. That's life I guess.