I Forge Iron

Christmas items 2019

Das,

Thanks.

I have one potential reservation with your master work.

The end of the nose looks sharp. (it appears to be a screw.).

(also the ends of the arms.)

If it is,  someone might bump into it,  or step on it.

Could it be blunted with an abrasive?  (e.g. sandpaper or a rotary stone).

It would take a few seconds with a rotary tool.  (e.g. a Dremel)

Regards,

SLAG.

I just had another thought. 

a drop of solder might suffice for the ends of arms.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The looks may be decieving on this one, or my fingers are so callous I don't realize, but nothing there seemed sharp enough to scrape or poke under normal conditions. Now, if you step on it, just like a lego, it'll hurt ya. Haha. I mostly try to keep pointy, pokey bits softened down. 

On 11/24/2019 at 3:08 AM, Frosty said:

I really like the gnomes, J. They're simple but very expressive I'll bet they'd sell like hotcakes. Sure make great Christmas decorations.

Thanks Frosty. I appreciate it. Those were the first 2 I made. There is a 3rd one that has a much better face, IMO. 

Here's the dinner bell for my FIL. 1/2" round from crusty old bar. The clanger, or whatever is called, is a horseshoe. I wire wheeled the triangle then heated it with a torch then coated with paste wax. He has a small one that he can't hear, but this one will bring the cows home! 

20191204_103532.jpg

Thanks guys. Billy, I looked at a lot of examples and a few videos. This one was inspired by John Switzer. I did a different finial than he does. Started at 37". I tapered both ends 1 1/2 ". Then just measured the distance equally and bent it there. Easy peasy.:D

Thomas thanks. That piece of bar looked like it had barnacles growing on it. 

It was the longest piece of round rod I had. The barnacles were mainly on one end. You can tell on the far left of the picture the texture is much rougher. I don't wire wheel things much, but I figured this might benefit from it. Plus I couldn't figure out how else to get rid of the gas forge rust from the piece! I have trouble with that from time to time

How about if i triple the cookies and leave a whole bag of carrots?

We used to have a coal burning stove when i was a kid. I used to tell my daughters that we would be bad on purpose so Santa would eave us coal, that way we knew we would stay warm that night. 

Thomas, you look just like Santa! I think Billy deserves some coal, though. I don't know how much coal is, but I bet he could use it. Haha, you're posting at the same time as me, Billy. 

Olfart, nice. I like those. 

I made some small things. I'm on a leaf kick right now. Thought my husband can take the key rings to the guys at work for gifts. The one in the middle is a pendant for my daughter. Figured I'd put a leaf on it also;)

20191206_163251.jpg

Leaves for the family tree CGL?    Need to deep punch the initials, clean and forge braze with brass and then grind till only the initials are in "gold"...

I have a better pic with a much brighter red shirt where I do make a pretty good "Santa's evil twin Skippy".   Last year I went down to the factory floor to wish my line a Merry Christmas the last day before the break and ended up spending 2 hours as all the lines were shutting down and taking selfies with me---and of me offering their supervisors coal...

My youngest daughter completed college in Nashville earlier this year and she and her husband each got a job and moved to S Carolina where they bought their first house. She requested that I build her a fire ring for the backyard. That was the easy part, I decided to build a poker , which included my first forge weld, to go with it. Confirmed my belief that I am a better fabricator and welder than novice blacksmith, but I’ll have a lot more time next year to practice and improve. 18E60F5B-B0DC-4C2D-9EAC-BCAD22CC7231.thumb.jpeg.7d6bb01fff495d1e01e06ab8af5a5d2c.jpegA5BD60CD-ED06-4D1D-9C75-CFEFDC9A1ACE.thumb.jpeg.a9f3e8d1798e211a91d07add0802b5bd.jpeg

Finished this kitchen knife for my mom today. O-1 with Zebra wood handle. Razor sharp. Now hopefully she will make me some of her chocolate chip cookies with walnut and coconut. 

20191209_192718.thumb.jpg.caf715e3a601da433819299b9f36631e.jpg

A little nod to i think it was Grumpybiker for the Ale. Pretty tasty, glad i found some at my local grocery.