I Forge Iron

Magnetic Blacksmith Shop Arm

MC Hammer

I'm pretty meticulous about setting out the tools I need for the forging project at hand and for planning things out before I even light the forge.  This saves me a lot of time, but somehow in the middle of forging things start piling up at the base of the anvil and falling off my anvil stump and rolling on the shop floor or any number of stashed items here and there while forging.  I thought a lot about a small table next to the anvil but that's just another thing to navigate around when working.  I wanted something different and didn't figure it out until I got one of those large magnetic strips that is made for organizing tools above a work bench.  I thought about how nice it would be to have that near my anvil and within an arm's reach of where I was forging.  As the wheels turned I remembered this heavy duty hinge I picked out of the trash somewhere and the oak scrap wood I also found in someone's trash.  Pictured below is what I came up with.  It swings out from being flat against the wall to right out over the horn of the anvil.  I can easily take a step toward it to grab a tool or replace a tool back there.  I bolted the magnetic strip and the one side of the hinge onto the oak board believing screws might just pull out under weight.  My magnetic arm can hold several pairs of tongs, a bunch of punches / chisels, you name it and it won't sag or bend.  The best part is that I can move it out of my way if needed or closer if needed.  I've decided to keep the arm clear and only use it for holding the tools I'm using for a particular forging session.  Presto, no more piles of tools clanking around on my anvil stump and falling on the floor.  I thought I'd share this with everyone in case someone else might what to build one.  

1816664165_IMG_0472(2).thumb.JPG.fd0af8957d8e834bd24ee6d9d05814c0.JPG

IMG_0471.thumb.JPG.10b0db5b0336ebd10a6b72018a118659.JPG

IMG_0476.thumb.JPG.035c43d7f957d79c277525fdd60c8a3d.JPG

IMG_0475.thumb.JPG.7b2ecf99c1a167bf2d1fef03a48a3157.JPG

I like the swing arm; but how fuzzy does it get from the steel/scale dust floating around the shop?  Also does it encourage the tools to become magnetized?  How long have you tried it in your shop so far? I have a speaker magnet on my anvil and another on my gas forge cart and they get fuzzy pretty fast.

Put the magnet in a plastic bag. When it has collected enough debris, open and reverse the bag turning it inside out to capture the debris and make disposal easy.

Das hang the tool holder from the ceiling, or mount it on a roll around base.

1 hour ago, Glenn said:

hang the tool holder from the ceiling, or mount it on a roll around base.

I was thinking to hang it from the ceiling. Nice and out of the way but in arms reach. Either could work really. I usually drag a stool over when I'm using more than one tool. And yeah they often roll off. 

Thomas, you are correct, but if the tool were hot enough to melt the plastic it would be set on the floor, somewhere safe like the forge table or quenched if able. 

A damp junk rag can also be used to wipe off the fuzzies. Just bunch it up and or wear leather gloves too to avoid getting a fun metal splinter in your hand.

I've also had cheaper magnets degrade from heat so there is that to think about when sticking hot tools on them. 

"A fun metal splinter", Indeeeeed! 

2 hours ago, MC Hammer said:

this heavy duty hinge I picked out of the trash somewhere and the oak scrap wood I also found in someone's trash.

Two fine Dumpster Pearls for sure. Certainly rates you a spot on the International Dumpster Dive Team!

Thanks for showing off your innovation!

Robert Taylor

The oven roasting bags will take up to 400 f. without melting IIRC. I have a couple old comp. drive magnets and the welding magnet in the shop and all work a treat for magnetizing tools so the fuzzies can live on anything you want to hold in your hand.

I thought about making an AC magnetic holder or de-magnetizer but that puts me in the making electrical things and . . . Maybe duct tape!

Frosty The Lucky.

2 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Plastic and tools that may be in contact with hot metal are not usually a good mix...

I agree, plastic and hot metal do not play well together.

There are plenty of places that a magnet in a plastic bag or plastic container come in handy. Cleaning up around a drill press, around a lathe come to mind.  A thin walled aluminium container is another option to keep the fuzz away from the magnet.

I just made this the magnetic arm yesterday so I haven't had it in use a lot.  The one thing it has going for it is the height it's at.  Scale does fly and that's why we all wear eye protection, but not as much reaches that height as say something at anvil level or below.  I'll keep reporting back.  

The magnet I use to check my metal when quenching does accumulate scale just kicking around the shop, but a brush easily knocks it clean so I imagine the same periodic cleaning would work for the magnetic arm.  I also do not plan to be putting hot tools on it.  If I use a punch correctly it should not be that hot.  I quench my punches to avoid overheating them.  With tongs, if the jaw end is hot I can put the rein end on there, but I generally leave my tongs I'm working with near the forge.  I think some good common sense applied to the use of this device will solve most of the potential pitfalls.  In the end, it's usefulness will (I believe) outweigh most of the concerns raised so far.  

I do not believe any tools will be magnetized on this arm, otherwise those that place magnets on their anvils would be having problems with fuzzy anvils :D

Ok. I had to try something like it since I think it's one of those "why didnt I think of that" things. :)

It's hanging a little above my head height over the anvil. I'll give it a try before I make anything fancy. I don't see it being in the way "IF" I had a real striker, but that's to remain to be seen. It isn't in the way of my swing. 

Thanks for the idea MC Hammer. I've had a couple of these magnetic racks hanging around that I got from an old tool truck guy that didn't need them any more. Seem pretty strong too. 

20181227_202450.jpg

Das, Looks great and I hope it works well for you.  I think the key is having it set higher where the scale and grindings from the belt grinder will be less likely to find their way up there.  I like it!  Having that stuff within reach just makes forging all the less frustrating I think.  I'd like to see more people try it and maybe after a couple of variations we can collectively come up with the best possible magnetic tool holder.  

On 12/27/2018 at 2:12 PM, ThomasPowers said:

Also does it encourage the tools to become magnetized? 

The answer is yes, at least on mine. I was veining a leaf and noticed my chisel grabbing some scale. Picture is after touching the chisel to some scale. 

20190102_204518.jpg

Hmmm, I haven't noticed this with my tools.  I just forged yesterday and everything is fine with my tools so far.  I even have tongs I've stuck on there and so far nothing.

On 1/2/2019 at 8:48 PM, Daswulf said:

The answer is yes, at least on mine. I was veining a leaf and noticed my chisel grabbing some scale. Picture is after touching the chisel to some scale. 

Is it a game changer for you Das in terms of it's usability?

I forged all day Saturday and didn't have any issues with scale.  I wonder if yours is higher so you are dragging the tool across the magnet and that's what is magnetizing your tools?  Mine is lower so I pull my tools almost directly off the arm with minimum dragging if any.  

Certainly a possibility. I have sort of dragged it off the magnet. Don't know if the one I have is stronger or not but either, and if that would make any difference. Dragging the tool might be the thing. I haven't checked the other tools for magnetism.

Mine is from harbor frieght but it's pretty strong.  It held a hammer Saturday,  I thought I'd put my 1.5 # hammer on it to see how it did.  Just enough magnetic power to hold it,  It holds tongs with just enough power that I can pluck it off without moving the arm or having to drag it off.  

• 4 months later...

Very slick idea.  Maybe instead of a magnet and the risk of magnetizing your tools, use some short sections of tubing to hold the chisels and loops to hold handled tools.

Honestly, the only thing I'd do is to trim the end of the wood arm so it mimics the shape of the hinge.  Purely aesthetic, but I think it would really tie the whole design together from a visual standpoint.