I Forge Iron

Knife to cut a wedding cake

Foundryman

My brother asked me to make a knife for him to cut the cake for his wedding. Both he and his wife to be wanted to be involved in the making of the knife so they came over and struck for me when I was drawing out the Damascus billet.

The knife is 15 inches long and made up from 13 layers of 15n20, 1095 and 20C (two of the inner layers are made of up of 15 layers each) twisted tightly and forged to shape with an integral bolster. The handle is African blackwood and stainless steel pins. I deliberately left the knife blunt to avoid any accidents on the big day however it's still more than sharp enough to cut cake.

This is my first time doing an integral bolster, it's also the longest, thinnest knife I've made so far.

IMG_20180929_155911.jpg

IMG_20180929_155516.jpg

IMG_20180929_155528.jpg

IMG_20180929_160048.jpg

IMG_20180929_155757.jpg

On 10/1/2018 at 11:20 AM, VainEnd84 said:

That better be a beautiful cake otherwise that knife is going to put it to shame! Beautiful work man

My thoughts exactly.  Great looking knife.

I've been wanting to do an integral bolster for a while now.  I just seem to forget that while forging.

Keep up the good work

as always

peace and love

billyO

• 3 weeks later...