I Forge Iron

New Logo, feedback and help wanted

Hans Richter

Design myself a simple new and modern logo. Let me know what you think. Below also the old one. I’m not a graphic designer so sorry for the simple approach. Next step is a translation of the logo into a maker mark stamp and an spray template to identify all the self-made equipment.

Get inspired by the iron atom with an anvil as the core ^_^.

I don’t know if their some graphic designers slash blacksmith is out there to help me work out a DWG-file to feed a laser cutter/etcher or a 3D stitching/sawing machine in exchange for documentation regarding my self designed/build equipment (foundry’s, power hammer, kiln etc.) If please contact me by PM.

The rest of the community, feel free to borough if you want.

Cheers, Hans

Concept Logo Forge Tumulus.JPG

Abachtelijke Smederij Richter.png

Does the number and positioning of the circles and lines have a specific meaning?

Personally I think the new one has a bit too much going on, and as above, might not translate well when shrunk down.... if the design works as a touch mark, and scales up, it would be a lot more consistent and recognisable than having two or more variations?

Lieber Herr Hans,

Your suggested iron-anvil logos are superb.

But I suspect, they will encounter two problems.

One): 

As suggested by some other smiths,  on this thread,  the design will not scale down successfully.  (because of too much detail, with lines too close together).

Two):

Those thin lines would not hold up too well if the design if raised on the touch mark.  (because they are thin).

But the design could be etched into the touch mark, (intaglio). And the lines might be made thicker.

Both designs,  especially the first one,  would make wonderful logos for business cards, and stationary.

The second design should present less problems.

I suggest that,  the flames could be connected at their base.  And the flame tips made a little less tall,  and  blunter,  in order to make striking less problematic.

Have a look at "touch mark registry",  at Jock's site for some examples of black smith's touch marks.  The designs are fairly spare,  in detail,  in order to produce clear designs in the steel.

Regards,

SLAG.

If your logo is reduced to 1 inch square it produced the following image

logo HR.jpg

Keep the logo clear, easy to read, and straight to the point. Design for the smallest size you will use then scale up.

Look at the billboards as you drive down the highway. Is the lettering large enough to read? Is the message clear? Can you read the entire thing in the allotted time (a second or two) at the speed your driving? Do you remember what was said on the billboard well enough that you can tell someone, or redraw the billboard when you get to the exit?  Those city billboards are typically 10 feet high and 25 feet wide, and provides 250 square feet of space. The billboards on the interstate are typically 14 feet high and 48 feet wide for 675 square feet of space. 

When viewing logos they should be easily read, easily remembered, and leave the viewer with a lasting memory. 

Hans: Seems the same thing jumps out at everybody. The atom as drawn is too busy. When shrunk to touchmark size it'll be a smudge. Maybe if you reduce the electrons to center punch marks rather than circles and make the orbits circular rather than straight lines and lose the ones leading to the nucleus. Over all,  using the anvil as the nucleus is golden and where your initials should go. You should be the center feature of your touchmark. Yes? Punch mark electrons and none covering the nucleus.

You just want to represent an iron atom, it doesn't need to be accurate, Heck nobody actually knows what an atom looks like, last I saw the consensus is the electrons would be a blear spinning near light speed. And we want to lose the blear. ;)

I like your current touchmark and might maybe tweak it a little for clarity but it's a good touchmark as is.

Frosty The Lucky.

Gents, thank you very much for the feedback.

That’s just the reason to ask for your opinion and the call for help to improve and simplify the design. Fortunately I got some replay and offer for help to work on it, make it suitable for all purposes (business card, spray template and touch mark). Will keep you updated.

• 4 weeks later...

Diana just finished the cut-out of the spray pattern of the new logo. The favourite ones of the many offered designs where mine and Lisa’s choice is fallen on. This logo will be suitable for all purposes. Start with marking all the equipment as I planned. Got also the digital file extensions to offer to a friendly machine shop to mill out or cast a fire stamp (burn mark on wood) and made a small makers mark by Spark erosion.

Al(l) this thanks to a great fellow smith brother on IFI how help me with the design and worked it out for me. Have to ask him to mention his name otherwise he got maybe another/extra occupation trough his daily business. Also have to think about a decent payoff for his effort which is difficult because of the huge distance between Brussels and the State of Maine. Till then, I will offer him my deep respect and humble appreciation regarding his work if seen passing bye, his wisdom and fatherly support.

Let me know what you think, I will keep you updated about the progress and tools follow.

Have a nice day.

Cheers, your sincerely Hans

hans-richter-logo-9.jpg.e30036dcd9df1171f514babededd663e.jpg

DSC00796.JPG

DSC00799.JPG

My dear smith fellows and sisters, thank you very much for the kind and positive feedback regarding the new and modern logo. Indeed very simple and basic, but containing all the items important to me. What’s all about it -‘banging on an anvil’ -what is the ancient/alchemic element we work with (the cross arrowed symbol of iron) and –‘how the hack’ do it (HR –Hans Richter).

Be allowed to mention Al (‘the’ Steamboat) as the creator and finisher of the design, and very +++++ proud of it.

After many ‘sparring’ conversations by PM's we finally end up by the published and now used result.

We also brainstormed about an integration of my casting activities in the logo but ended up with the conclusion that it will be too crowded to add the alchemic symbols of copper and tin to the logo as well. So, to mark my castings, I will do a vocation of one of his other logo suggestions.

So thanks for your encouraging feedback and Al’s support.

Cheers, Hans

hans-richter-logo-12.thumb.jpg.d0ad0aaf0a235e4d4be693b0d2a146ef.jpg

Hans, you're very welcome. I was glad to help you out.

I've always enjoyed playing with logo designs. The ones above that Hans said he may use with his castings consist of three different alchemy (or alchemical) symbols: iron, copper, and tin. We came up with about a dozen different logo designs, but I think that Hans and I both liked the ones below the best. Just for fun, I included a couple of possible ideas for using them on business cards, although that is entirely up to Hans.

hans-two-logos.thumb.jpg.d44654dc0fe9b84d49f9606610f1d394.jpg

Al (Steamboat)

• 2 weeks later...

The last logo design are nice and I like them.

However what I like or dislike, has little to do with what your potential customers may or may not like.

When you need a new logo, all you need to do is run a competition among professional logo makers around the world,  that will come up with things you never dreamed of and for very little money.