I Forge Iron

Wine bottle corkscrew, what type of metal?

My wife has been joking about the bottle openers , more specifically that I’ve yet to attempt a corkscrew.

I am a little leary of attempting one this early in my metal moving journey but , why not?

I’m at a loss for what metal would be best for strength and flexibility given how tough wine corks can be.

If I’m able to actually pull it off I don’t want it to uncoil or break.

So does any of the forum gurus know or have experience (successful experience preferred ;-)    in making one of these and what type of steel ?

on a side note, where would a person have the best chance of finding the appropriate metal “in the rough / wild”  vs buying from a shop ?

EF040790-BBC1-401C-ABB6-B575DB2241F1.jpeg

You want tough but not brittle, I would use spring steel and leave it as forged, as in no hardening or temprring after. 

Think some kind of coil spring. Car, atv, garage door....

I have heard people using mild steel with no issue but I'd go with medium to upper medium carbon. 

If you don't mind a piece of advice: take a store bought one with you when heading to the shop for forging your first. It's very annoying when you find out at the end that 1. the coil was drawn out too thick 2. it twists the opposite way as it should do.

Bests:

Gergely

One suggestion/modification I'd make, though is, when you are separating the coils after turning/twisting them, don't just pull the end out like I've seen before and it looks like you did.  You need to use a screwdriver or something like that to separate the twists so that you have even spacing all around the corkscrew so that it follows the same hole.  By having larger spacing at the end than at the top, you will tear up the cork.

I can't take credit for coming up with that though, I learned it from Mark Aspery at one of our weekend functions when he demonstrated "Forging a helical actuator for removing semi-permanent check valves in an enclosed fluidine system"

as always

peace and love

billyO