Opening Ceremony - Making a large Fredericks Cross

Small 5.jpg

Small 6.jpg

Small 7.jpg

Small 8.jpg

Small 9.jpg

Small 10.jpg

Small 11.jpg

I had volunteered to help out and worked with Richard Sullivan - a gunsmith at Colonial Williamsburg.  He had forged a barrel and put the octagon shape on the round barrel.  He also made the lock plate.  Next year he will be finishing the barrel  and making additional parts.  At some point he will finish the rifle.  Really learned a lot from him not only about techniques but also a lot of the history of rifle making in the colonial period.

Small 14.jpg

Small 15.jpg

Small 13.jpg

Small 12.jpg

I actually came home with money in my pocket, but that was because (a) I had to leave early for a family emergency and (b) I had set some money aside to pay for a replacement screw and box for my post vise, but the guy packed up and left before I got back to him. 

Well, that’s a head start for next year. 

Anvils and postvises were crazy high this year---though I did see a postvise sell for $30 as the vendor was getting ready to pack up---if the fellow in front of me hadn't bought it I had my hand on my wallet...perhaps "the absence of mallets" allowed me to escape buying it...   I did pick up 200 pounds of great coal, a bunch of short lengths of S7 3/8" in diameter, 24' of 1/4" sq stock,  some preforms for bottle openers---anvils on the end of them. 10'-12' of 3/16 brass sq stock, some sledge hammer heads to make stake anvils from; a bunch of stuff my apprentice asked me to pick up: hot cut, a shirt, a couple of bundles of tong kits,...  With the load of spinning and camping gear the van rode very smoothly on the way home and didn't seem to notice the wind gusts. I did eat enough concord grapes  to notice the effects on the way to and from (Between Rolla and St Louis is a grape raising area...)

I really enjoyed meeting JHCC; but then there have always been Starkadders at Cold comfort Farm!  And Friday I wore the lederhosen and aloha shirt...

Steve, roofs cost! We had a steel one installed over the old composition roof, lowered our house insurance out here in the land of wildfires...(Part of my cunning plan to have the house all fixed up *before* I retire, leaving me nothing to do but spend time in my shop...)

• 3 weeks later...

A little late to respond but I was there (first time). It was so exciting to see so much blacksmithing related stuff in one place. I came home with an Indian chief post vise, a 267# Trenton, a nice swage block, and a bunch of smaller tools. Definitely going back next year.

Edited by Hibby
Spelling