I Forge Iron

Presentation and first two knives

Joël Mercier

Thanks for letting me join this community! I am french Canadian and professional car mech. Began bladesmithing/knife making in August. Having two kids and a full time job gives me much less time than I'd like to spend on this very rewarding hobby. I managed to pull out two knives and a third on the way. 

First one is 1084 stock removal drop point hunter with bloodwood scales and brass pins.

Second was a Xmas present for my dad. B&T'ish forged 80CrV2 through tang with bloodwood and brass. 

Third is W1 santoku hand forged from a 7/8" drill rod. (Xxxx, that was lot of hammering)

The only power tool I'm using is my drill press. I enjoy the completely hand made part. I find it relaxing :lol:.

P_20171013_121911.jpg

P_20171013_122313.jpg

P_20171013_121929.jpg

DSC_0888.jpg

P_20171123_202444.jpg

P_20171123_202504.jpg

P_20171123_202358.jpg

P_20171127_215904.jpg

P1030812.JPG

P1030811.JPG

Edited by Mod34
Inappropriate language

Really nice work. Looking forward to seeing more.

One small criticism (and not of the knives): if you take your photos against a more even background (a wooden tabletop or a large sheet of plain cloth or paper), the knives will show up better and the clutter will be less distracting. The knife is the star; let it shine.

Many thanks! This is definitely boosting my morale :lol:

8 hours ago, JHCC said:

Really nice work. Looking forward to seeing more.

One small criticism (and not of the knives): if you take your photos against a more even background (a wooden tabletop or a large sheet of plain cloth or paper), the knives will show up better and the clutter will be less distracting. The knife is the star; let it shine.

I am going to take this advice very seriously when I decide to start selling my work. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A little update on the santoku. It's been HT and polished. A seasoned eye will tell you I did not soak the blade long enough for the steel to reach critical under the clay. The edge is very thin and I was worried about overheating. It was a nice experience nonetheless. 

It's unsharpened but the edge is almost zero. 

P1030826.JPG

P1030832.JPG

P1030830.JPG

forget about about good for firsts those are just GOOD!!! awesome awesome work.....

Just to touch on what JHCC had said about taking pics another piece of real REAL good advice i was given was to get some PVC pipe 1/2 - 1 inch in diamter  now you lay the knife on the table and you use this PVC pipe to make a frame about 2-3 feet wide and a couple feet wide (you could use almost anythjing in the place of the pvc its just to make a frame basicly) then you stretch some white tissue paper over that frame  and use extra piece's of pvc or what ever to hold it up now what you want to do is hold that frame above  the knife and put the lighting so it has to go through the tissue paper and to the knife then shoot the pic from the front. basicly what your trying to do is difusse the light through the tissue paper that way you wont get bright spots and reflections it dones wonders with all pics but esspecially anything you polish give it a try you might be suprised....i was