I Forge Iron

Feathers

BlasterJoe

I was recently asked to make 22 feathers for a cemetery restoration for our town. The graves from the late 1800’s to the turn of the century have been lost or neglected. The historians know that the cemetery was segregated and that   22 of the graves were native Americans. They know the location but very few of the names. 

The feathers will be attached to the markers made by someone else. Probly crosses. 

I made this feather tonight as kind of a rough draft. I left it thick because it will be tack welded to the marker. 

Any critique would be appreciated. Also some pictures of other forged feathers would be helpful.

im thinking I could do a better transition from feather to quill.

EABCCF57-33A9-45C7-98AF-3DC67F081057.jpeg

image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This steel feather was made by Doug Wilson of Little Deer Isle, Maine. I think he folded it lengthwise to have the quill standing proud. He didn't try for the angled effect coming off the quill, but rather forged the feather flat and fairly thin. The quill outlines on the obverse look as though they might have been set down with a set hammer; they are very clean workmanship. The shape of the feather is important and well done. It's a tail feather and I've put next to it a turkey feather painted and disguised to be an eagle feather. I think Doug rolled and forge welded the quill end, but I wasn't there when he made it.

630.JPG

631.JPG

Frank, I think your turkey feather points out something that would bring a little more life to these forged feathers. The split veins by the quill that fold a little towards the quill slightly. I did that on one feather attempt and liked the outcome. Unfortunately I cannot find a picture of it but I deffinately like the look of the ones made from angle iron. 

1 hour ago, Daswulf said:

Frank, I think your turkey feather points out something that would bring a little more life to these forged feathers. The split veins by the quill that fold a little towards the quill slightly. 

I tried that with mine but chiseled a little hard and a bit too cool and busted the peace from the quill. If you zoom in the lower right side of the feather you can see the bit that broke off. Next one I'll be sure to add that while much warmer as I agree it adds to the realism.  I added my makers mark on this one and you'll see I deformed the texture a bit in the lower right. Next time I'll center it over the quill so not to mess up the texture. Learned a lot on this one

• 3 months later...

Just finished the order for all 22. The client was very happy. I learned a lot through the process. By the end I was working 3 at once and got my time down to a half hour apiece. I didn’t make any money on it but it is for a good cause and good exposure. 

Forgot to pictures. The last one is my first one and last one. Big difference:D

EED15626-5A3D-4172-8933-3260F5A132F0.jpeg

CAE93FF2-EA89-42E0-BD5A-C1CA6DA4154E.jpeg

D0134CD6-77CB-4E05-9D24-6C64E0FDE599.jpeg

Nice work! Congrats.

This again brings VaughnT's words into my mind (paraphrased to my level of English): for your craft skills it's far better to do one project many times and see how to got advanced in it than begin new projects every time and suffer from failure and being slow.

Bests to you:

Gergely

• 4 months later...