I Forge Iron

Anvil for a *very* junior member (pic heavy)

SFC Snuffy

On Tuesdays (one of my days off), I go over to my friend's house to forge, and I'm generally gone for about 6 hours. My three-year-old son has been pining to smith with me ever since I started about 8 months ago. We watch YouTube videos and look at tool catalogs (he's inordinately fond of power hammers) together. He's recently started "smithing" in the backyard while I'm gone, both on forge days and while I'm at work... this has consisted mostly of him breaking firepit bricks in the backyard and smashing pieces of charcoal to smithereens. :D

So... I thought I'd make him a proper anvil. I started with a blueprint:

59c06889e0af4_Anvil1.thumb.jpg.b13968fd86879e245914b19b99a1d9e2.jpg

And built it out of stacked-up pieces of standard 2x4.

59c068c8c737c_Anvil2.thumb.jpg.1620212d8d50a8872d4ac5243e0ec3bb.jpg

I filled in some of the gaps, glued and sanded it down...59c068f12bc8d_Anvil3.thumb.jpg.fe2c33a0d9386c37681cd572ed66415e.jpg59c06902e7dbc_Anvil4.thumb.jpg.84d337f5dab2467c44f89e377eca9348.jpg

Painted it with a rattle-can "hammered metal" finish...59c06915b5f0d_Anvil5.thumb.jpg.f5ecf90df5423aa7dfb562f6cd5de214.jpg

And called it good. As his skill level increases, I can give it a proper hardy and make hardy tools to fit. Given the amount of glue and scr3ews holding it together, he's unlikely to do more than ding it up, but that's easy enough to remedy. Here's a pic of the happy recipient hammering away on some modeling clay:59c069229b13d_Anvil6.thumb.jpg.92a03e99e571ada2d160889b83a818b6.jpg

Next up, I'll make him a proper cross-pein to replace the Melissa & Doug claw hammer he's using.

Thanks for looking!

When we had Thanksgiving with the kids and grandkids I brought a forge for the adults and several small (couple of pounds at most) steel anvils and let the kids forge no lead plumbing solder on them a goodly distance but in sight of the adult play area. One of my kids was given a small metalshop made steel anvil for her 0th birthday by some of our friends...

That's a dandy little thing. Ive thought of making one that resembles like a 700lb one of wood and put it outside my shop to fool visitors....And then Ide go and pick it up and lift it over my head and really fool 'em.

Littleblacksmith 

Thanks for all the kind words, folks. I was reluctant to share this as it isn't really a smithing project, but I'm glad I did.

Frosty, that's a great idea with the damascus. We'll have to watch a few more videos first, but I'm quite sure he'd be willing to give it a go. 

Oh you're wrong there Snuffy, this is as blacksmith related as it gets. We talk about modeling with clay all the time and you started your boy off with clay on an anvil. That is as real an anvil as it gets, he's beating something on it. That IS an anvil. He's building eye hand and other motor skills while learning to move plastic material with a hammer. What a hoot it'll be to bring him to a club meeting when he's a tween and he has better hammer control and understanding of how to make steel do what he wants than the adults. 

You're a good Dad he's a lucky boy. Raise him to take care of himself and work for what he wants, you'll never be sorry.

Frosty The Lucky.

This is a great idea for my kids as well.  I have dad envy!  My seven year old daughter and four year old son like to watch blacksmithing videos with me and ask to work in the shop all the time.  My son has already set his first weld on a tiny ring we made this summer.  I blame his anemic hammer and tiny arms for the fact the weld has a cold shut!  It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I did most of it.

Fear not, he was armored head to toe!

Ive thought of making one that resembles like a 700lb one of wood and put it outside my shop to fool visitors....And then Ide go and pick it up and lift it over my head and really fool 'em.

Littleblacksmith 

That would be a good trick LB. I have a replica of my Armitage anvil carved from Styrofoam. Has the hardie and pritchell and a coat of matt black. Visitors are stunned when you pick it up by the horn with one outstretched hand. All adds to the fun of demos.

And Snuffy, that wooden anvil is a work of art in itself. Your little boy will have a wonderful time with that!

Frosty, didn't your mom ever tell you "NOT TO MIX THE PLAYDOUGH!!!!!" :lol::lol:

No but she used to say, "Stop EATING the Playdough." I don't think she ever tasted it, though she did give up telling me to stop. 

Mmmmmmm  Playdough.

At Quad-State they have had the sheet metal anvils, foam anvils, balsa wood sledges and traffic cones cut off and painted to look like cast iron cone mandrels...jokers!

Did Roger Degner bring his "Peter Wrong?" Darn earwax!

Frosty The Lucky.

Jer_anvil1.JPG.c54a61ca3b3db08b1df64bfd383bf483.JPG