I Forge Iron

Who's made a set of spurs?

Pancho07

As I've moved away from smithing and more into  gear making I got a request that ought to get me back into the forge. I was asked to make at least 1 set of spurs. I talked to a former gear maker at a ranch rodeo tonight and he said to use 4140 for bands and shanks, he however never really got into the spur making and has been "out" of business for a few years. Are there any gear makers here and what steel do they use? What do I need to know before I dive in this winter?

To be honest after reading your post Glenn I did a search and got two hits. Pancho post and yours. 

Sure, then I realised I had to do a proper search of the whole forum using the hidden pull down menu ... Silly me. 

You have to admit though it is a rather easy mistake to make. 

Yes, been there, done that, and knew there was more information that was not being displayed. 

When doing a search back up your results by typing into your browser, search spurs at iforgeiron.com and you get About 11,900 results.  I can read 212, where as reading 11,900 would take a bit longer. Both are useful.

I've made Mexican style spurs for a school traveling exhibit in New Mexico. They didn't want the real spurs go around the state in a museum truck, as they might be stolen. A good book on spur making is "How to make Bits and Spurs" by Robert M. Hall, 1985. He says that four metals are used: aluminum; monel; stainless steel; and just plain iron. However, just plain iron, ie., wrought iron, the material, is no longer manufactured. Hall probably means mild steel, having a carbon content of about 20/100ths of 1%. Today, you can also purchase a misnamed "mild steel" called A36 by the steel suppliers, an American Society for Testing Materials number. Carbon content is normally kept below 0.27% and the steel has an addition of manganese. 4140 is a good, strong steel, but it is not necessary for spur making.

JHCC, may I point out that spurs have been around for over 1000 years and mild steel for a bit over 150 years and so true wrought iron was used to make them is a given. Some of the medieval and renaissance spurs, prick and rowell, look rather excessive  until you realize they were designed to work through horse barding.  My favorite old pair were made for a king of France and the large rowell's were piercework fleur de lis.

Practical Blacksmithing, Richardson, published in 1889, 1890, 1891; has discussions of how the "new" steel should be worked and welded and so I would consider it very likely that in the heyday of the cowboy wrought iron was not only used for bits, but spurs as well.

When you want to search Iforge, use Google or your favorite search engine, NOT the one provided by the Iforge OS, that one sucks. Just add "Iforgeiron" on the end of your search terms and let Google or whoever search Iforge.

That little bit is just part of living in Iforgespace, no biggy just one of the idiosyncrasies. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 months later...

Those look great! Did you build everything yourself?

I started on a set of spurs to give to the lady for Christmas and all was going well until I forgot to temper one of the rowels after I hardened it. Look like I’ll get them done just in time for Valentine’s Day. 

Here’s the desired result, although not finished and the other one  

image.jpg

277EF54D-B254-4CD7-B72A-533044A993A1.jpeg

Thanks George.

42 minutes ago, Ranchmanben said:

Those look great! Did you build everything yourself?

I started on a set of spurs to give to the lady for Christmas and all was going well until I forgot to temper one of the rowels after I hardened it. Look like I’ll get them done just in time for Valentine’s Day. 

Here’s the desired result, although not finished and the other one  

image.jpg

277EF54D-B254-4CD7-B72A-533044A993A1.jpeg

Kinda sorta not really. I bought all of the pieces from a water jet company. I made the rowels but figured for the first couple sets I could cheat alittle bit. I did bend the bands in the forge. Just used 10 gauge mild for the rowels, if they wear out too soon we’ll try something different.