I Forge Iron

A collection of improvised anvils

Besides a full penetration weld, not just a perimeter one;  what counts is the amount of steel from the top to the bottom and it looks like most of that has NO steel under the top. So you spent time effort and materials making something you could have done MUCH MUCH better on using the materials you have already.  Fairly common mistakes when folks try to copy a design not knowing which elements are important and which are cosmetic.

Now can it be used?---Shoot yah!  It could have just been done better to start.   Here's a picture of a style of anvil that has been in continuous use for several thousand years:

Y1Kanvil1.thumb.jpg.845504e8ee3a9a1891fd17b2e6515943.jpg

You will note solid metal from top to bottom. I did make a stake anvil to go with it to deal with jobs where a horn can help. (It's the leftmost one.) You can see solid blocks of steel to make more anvils from around the stake anvil's base.  Take one of those and do a full-pen weld with a chunk of that tine for a face with just a little overhang for a heel and you would have a better anvil in my opinion. (The chunks are 4" thick and 8" sq.)

random_anvils.jpg.4410ba3d9e2511be125616474fd79263.jpg

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love getting my ego put back in check ;) Seeing as I was pretty proud of it I think I will still beat on it for a while. Lessons learned the hard way always stick. On the bright side, that forklift tine was from a set so I still have another one to play with. 

Note to self : Now that I am a member do some reading before doing a project with lot of unnecessary work with substandard results.

cheers

Well one can place a piece of round stock between the pieces so you can reach in to weld the pieces full thickness. Lots of work but you welders are a stubborn lot. Honestly tho a large fork can become a lot of tools. One only need an anvil the size of your hammer tho a bit more room helps to straiten stock.  You can build a post and strike anvil, a post anvil and a bic.

A year ago I would have done the same thing with a forklift tine. The more metal under your hammer the better. I use a piece of thirty inch RR track standing vertical so I have as much mass under each hammer blow as possible with what I have. Don't get discouraged. Remember it's supposed to be fun.

Pnut

Funny I still have the other tine to the one Marco used in my scrap pile as well.  Your fab work looked good; just the design I had issues with.  That would make a very nice silver smithing/jewelry anvil as it stands---they get a lot lighter use.

Note too that that is a rather common way to go---there is a fellow on CL out my way selling "ASOs" made from I beam. 90%+ of the face floating on nothing and LOUD LOUD LOUD! (Wants way too much for them too.) Think of it as buying a car designed by someone who's never driven one vs buying one designed by a professional driver with 30 years experience.

Any chance of visiting other smiths and trying out their equipment to see what works best for your uses?

I've posted this before. This is 2 pieces of fork lift tine welded together about 20" long. Lots of mass under the hammer. As good as any London pattern. Mounted 4" deep in the stump on a 1" bed of sand wedged all around so it doesn't move. The stump is 4" in the ground.

The smaller piece is rounded on top for a fuller.

20190615_163715.thumb.jpg.bc22a3de59fbf60e549230dc026fd9a7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

120lbs=  six 6”x6”x12” mild steel plate tacked together then full pen arc weld at the top. This is not my work. I bought from local online for $75. So far all I’ve done is radius the edges and give it a small fullering area. Came with elm stand and retracting casters. It’ll do for now. It did last owner(bladesmith) for two years.

B1F3F764-D210-48E0-AD18-2F1E3CB6D16B.jpeg

I used this for a while till i got my mousehole. It is the arm off of one of our old racks we used. These came from the old inground air/hydraulic that were replced with the new above ground electric lifts. 2 1/2' long, 10" wide, and 2" thick. Not sure of material but it worked like a charm. Little small on the top there, but turned on side was good. The bottom looks like the top would fit in like a puzzle piece. So i could almost use it a a swage also. Still use it today when i need the sharp corner or something odd shaped that just does not want to sit flat on my anvil. Oh it ways around 80# or so. 

20191116_153631.thumb.jpg.590ea6817d33b9962a0b2085ce9bb7da.jpg

And before leaving the shop. There was a total of 8 of them. You can see the bottom a little better here. 

20180210_104825.thumb.jpg.82641838ba9ef3da2df83a99fb604c95.jpg

Here's my new RR track anvil, installed to supplement the Fischer Norris 1886 60 lb anvil, with really beat edges. The RR track gives me some nice crisp edges for bending and drawing.

RR track was purchased from an antique store for $30, about scrap price. Probably weights 130 lb for 38". Center web is about 3/4". I ground a fuller onto one section of it. Its secured to an old utility pole section about 5' long, buried in very rock soil. I added a 3/4" hole through the web near the top for bending and such.

The RR track anvil is very solid under the hammer and a very useful addition.

(For you safety advisors, the Fischer horn was blunted long before my time, so not an imminent danger to the apprentices climbing on it).

DSCN4466.JPG

DSCN4472.JPG

I used the two upright pieces because there was no wear on that part. Pick up several cutting discs for your side grinder. If you are going to weld the two together, clamp them together really tight. You don't want even a small gap when finished. You can clean the top with the grinder but I used a file and small belt sander to get it flat.

Good luck. I love mine.

• 1 month later...

Just getting started with my home setup, I'm grateful for Charles R Stevens posts on better usage of rail.  I've got an almost 2 ft section of crane rail that i think weighed about 110# that I've got upright.  I'm planning on getting some chain to see if it can silence it some, the rail rings a fair bit.

20191228_135354.jpg