I Forge Iron

A collection of improvised anvils

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I've sat out for this year because my piece of junk soft steel "anvil" was working me more than I could handle.  I'd gone down far enough to seriously consider cutting an old unused and mostly buried rail road rail. I hadn't done anything toward actually cutting an old rail beyond find some rails not used in over 50 years.  I  had asked around and gotten nowhere. I found out used steel costs $1 a pound  at the local scrapyard so that was off the list forever. I had just about given up.

Then my mother was driving by a group of rail road workers a couple weeks ago and she stopped and asked them about it. And they gave her 2 pieces!!!! One was for me. I've spent the last 2 weeks working on the new anvil. Glad I never tried to cut one. Had no idea they were that tough. Took me over a week to cut a small "horn". I gave up after so long. It's not perfect by any means and I've seen far better online, but I am a 7 stroke survivor so everything I do is much harder than it is for a normal person. 

Here's a picture. I've got it mounted where my old anvil was and it is much more solid and stable thumbnail(1).thumb.jpg.9802814310f3ad324a40356b3a41daf6.jpgthe other one was. 

• 4 months later...