I Forge Iron

A collection of improvised anvils

On 12/28/2019 at 2:08 PM, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Welcome aboard... please keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks! Got some chain this morning. It's not perfect, but helped bring the ring down enough for now.

20200101_132112.jpg

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now you're on the way! Rail always rings, even mounted on my favorite anvil ring damper, steel RR Rail rings. I think RR Rail actually stands for RINGY! RINGY! Rail. :)

How are you liking it mounted on end?

Frosty The Lucky.

Wow Piteog! Thats a great looking anvil from a serious bit of rail! I'm actually very jealous.

If I were you- I'd look at putting some radii on the edges, they look quite sharp. Theres lots of info regarding this on the forum but generally its nice to have a few different radii on the edges to give yourself forging options.

Additionally- have you seen the "swiss army anvil" by Charles in this thread? I'd look to turn the web into a fuller, and one side of the rail base section into a mini horn. That would pretty much give you everything you need!

(Note.. I personally DONT recommended carving a permanent hot cut into the rail as its too risky)

Here's mine as an example of what I mean by the mini horn. (note this isnt my main anvil so ignore the grinding on the rest of it, its not finished and for a different purpose).

(46) Rail Anvil.jpg

Re/ ringing... I stopped my anvil ringing using a magnet, which I also use for checking for critical (non magnetic) temperature when quenching. The magnet is a (30mm diameter, 8mm thick) neodmium ring magnet which is designed to take a countersunk screw down the middle. It's screwed into a lump of wood as a handle. This relatively small magnet+handle stops all my ring dead. You can get them on eBay etc dirt cheap.

Irondragon: I plan on doing that with the leftovers after I recaulk my bathtub this weekend, I'll let you know how it goes.

Frosty: I'm really happy with it! I'm still getting used to the smaller work surface compared to the anvil I used at the blacksmithing classes I took, but on the upside it's much easier to move/work around and not walk into (and so much cheaper)!

Jon: Those posts are amazing, they are what inspired me to go this route. I've already done some light chamfering to the corners with ye ol angle grinder, and am holding off on any big modifications until I get some more hammer time in and know what I want/need. I don't want to regret any changes I make, and to be honest, I'm not confident enough yet with an angle grinder to do all that. I'm pretty new to metal working so am trying to not bite off too much more than I can chew.

Biggun & Jon: I'd forgotten about magnets, good call. I'll pick one up sometime soon.

Here's the group of bits I pieced together before the anvils fell in my lap- plenty of potential in most of them, my son and I even did some cold-forming of sheet strap to make cup shapes with ballpeins on the medium track piece. (Only just now starting to piece together a JABOD forge) 

The tall black one is a track adjuster out of a 52-ton excavator. Its sister is at the front of the garage. 

The shorter black bit is a D8 bulldozer roller shell. 

The tall yellow piece is a bucket tooth, rock-bit style. 

The long, flat yellow piece is an end-bit off of a 950K wheel loader bucket. 

The 3 different sizes of rail are... rail. Haha. I got the small and medium pieces from a customer that makes rail ties. The full-size rail is from a line replacement job I went out to work on an excavator for, they let me have it. 22.5" long. 

All of the Cat parts were in the scrap bin at work. The brand new ones were parts discontinued. I had permission to take them. 

20200104_113759.jpg

20200104_113748.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2020 at 12:47 PM, CtG said:

The tall black one is a track adjuster out of a 52-ton excavator. Its sister is at the front of the garage. 

The shorter black bit is a D8 bulldozer roller

Will the small end of the track adjuster fit into the D8 roller shell? If it will it might make a good stand for the track adjuster. You have a good portable plate with hardy holes also. You're pretty stocked up on improvised anvils. 

JHCC that's a mighty fine looking stand for that piece of track.  They're lucky to have you around. 

Pnut

Looks awesome JHCC. The only thing I dont like is the fixed hot cut because I can imagine myself losing a finger.

GREAT idea with the notches in the stand so it can be laid side-on. Have you considered drilling out a square (ish) hardy hole in the thin web in that orientation?

That side on view gives me so many other ideas for tooling too. With access that way you could grind in bending forks and all sorts.

I'd echo Pnut's comments- theyre very lucky to have you helping out!

1 hour ago, Jon Kerr said:

The only thing I dont like is the fixed hot cut because I can imagine myself losing a finger.

Just stand so that it's on the corner away from you. Also, it's pretty low: when was the last time you hit a finger on your anvil surface?

I like the bending fork idea.

Having worked a bunch with college students I would also suggest welding the stand to a large plate, 1/8" would probably work so nobody standing on the plate could tip the stand over.  My worst accident in 35+ years of teaching was with a mechanical engineering student who didn't seem to grasp center of gravity and tipping points.

Not so much "everything set up with limited space around it" as "everything not in actual use gets stored out of the way". Moving something with a large footprint could be difficult for them. There's also a question about how much actual flame they're going to be allowed inside. We're hoping for a two-brick-and-torch forge, but because of college fire regulations etc, even that might need to be taken outside for use. That puts anvil portability at a premium.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm doing a project that kastolite would be perfect for but I only have about a lb left and that's not enough.  I want to get this done today so here's a list of products I do have on hand what can I mix to make up some kastolite.     I have a Laguna quick set mortar that is 50% alumina 50% silica I also have abrasive alumina oxide powder.  Now in theory if I add alumina oxide to the laguna to reach a 70 30 mix I should have kastolite.  the question is do I calculate ratio by weight or by volume?  if that doesn't work I have all kinds of other things on hand what can I do to get a 3000+ alumina refractory?

right alumina bubble refractory.  good call mikey.  I'm not familiar enough with the science.  what will that do as far as refractory ability?  also what will do that as far as temp tolerance?  Also I'm guessing those bubbles melt upon firing and are just used to create air pockets to help with the refractory.  If that's all it's for it's not important to my use.  If that somehow makes it so it's heat tolerance does not reach 3k what can I do?  Would suspending it in a dry liquid work?  That should create the same kind of bubble structure upon firing.