I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil stands

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine says, Howard Leight Sync, radio Hi Vis. by Honeywell.

Also on the head band. CE  EN352, Below that a little black out logo saying Certified Product. Beside the logo, maybe tag is better term it says, Australian Standard.

Another "feature?" they're waterproof to a depth I don't recall. I'm not wearing them scuba diving so my memory discarded the details.

Frosty The Lucky.

Yes part of the deal with me teaching is that they have to provide loading and unloading help; at the end of the day I'm lucky to get them up off the floor; there's missing a 2 165# anvils an HB and a PW,  a 91# A&H and you can just see the horn of the massive Fisher off to the side of the first picture (and the large mooring cleat of mysterious antecedents!). The bridge anvil and the 410# Trenton are in the clean shop for armourmaking. (and of course I have the Powell down here as security is less tight and heel less anvils are less attractive.)

But you notice the stands made of dimensional lumber with the taller ends and the big chunk of mine timber that has handles for easier loading and unloading all of them are made so the anvil can lift off the top for easier loading and unloading. This picture shows one of the side blocks as well. (and a large He party tank that followed me home to build a forge from...

anvilstand2.jpg.25ddc84d68d4cbc228c69202eb41edbd.jpg

BTW that monolithic stand and 134 HB is the setup two students managed to use to drop the anvil point first into the cement of the classroom floor and then one watched as it then laid over on his foot---my first lost time accident in over 30 years of teaching (at that time).  The story gets told each subsequent class and the divot in the floor pointed out.

• 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Scrambler82 said:

Thanks, yes glue and through bolts, all under cover !

The glue squirted out of the seams, went everywhere but cleaned up easy enough; I just wanted to make sure there was enough.

Thought bolt ends/nuts were tightened and then clamped.

End Covers were added after all was dried, took five days to satisfy me.

Its gorgeous.. What do you figure it weighs?

• 2 months later...

This topic is for everyone to share your anvil stand ideas, designs, and pictures. I recently fabricated my anvil stand based on a design I came up with. I wanted to make my own stand for a while, but I didn't really know where to start. I looked everywhere online and realized there are no plans out there to go off of, or to even get inspired by. I saw pictures of stands that I liked, but I had to come up with all dimensions and materials myself. Thankfully, I am fairly comfortable doing that, but perhapse other are not. I drew up my plans with as much detail as I could in the hope that it could help others in the same boat. Here are the designs and some pictures of the finished product.

Anvil Stand - New.pdf

SAM_3318.JPG

SAM_3319.JPG

SAM_3336.JPG

SAM_3342.JPG

SAM_3343.JPG

SAM_3340.JPG

Since an anvil stand needs to be sized for the person using it and for the anvil to be used on it a set of plans would be rather limited in applicability.  Can you add a header to your design stating that it's not correct for anyone of a different build than yourself or using a different sized anvil and so not cause newbies to spend the time and effort  and money building something that won't work well for them?  One reason folks don't post blueprints is that they know a person needs to make it to fit their setup and by just showing a picture a person can calculate what they need themselves.

Or put in a description of how to determine the correct height of the anvil face for them and their anvil individually and show them where to modify your cutting list to get the correct height for them. This would be a great service to the community!

Remember a lot of folks will take any design shown on the internet and expect it will work for them no matter if they are 6'4" or 5'4" and with a 90# anvil or a 190# anvil.

And before posting a suggested design---how well does it work???? Spring?. Noise? (did you fill the legs with sand and some oil?) Have you thought of a hole lined up with the hardy for long pieces you are bending in it?

I think you did an excellent job on your anvil stand, and really good on the plans. even if the measurements can't work with everyone, it at least give somebody a starting point and idea on what they might need and how to go about constructing it. I would think it would be pretty obvious that the measurements aren't gonna be the same for everybody, and that they will have to put in a little work to figure out what height is right for them. good job, I like the extra space for tools.

Littleblacksmith 

46 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

You would think that but the evidence, even here on IFI, is that they don't.

I have to agree, I'm all the time getting PMs from guys making T burners that can't follow those directions let alone calculate the volume of the forge. There's a disheartening number of folk who don't even know what volume means.

Bounty Forge: Good post, it's a good contribution to the forum. There is already an anvil stand section and what you've built falls into the "Steel tripod" stand category. Pics of my version are there, more than once probably. Please forgive me for not downloading your .PDF file I can't seem to get rid of PDFs from my computer. I know my next question would be answered if I did look at your how to but. . . Did you tell folks HOW to cut the legs to make it the correct working height?

If I haven't said it already, Welcome aboard, glad to have you! Aw heck welcome aboard even if I Have said it already. 

Frosty The Lucky.

16 hours ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Guess you missed this thread...

I did not miss the thread. I felt the post would be better suited under the original forum; for it is not an anvil, swage block, or mandrel. Below, another comment has be made to the fact that it does not belong in this forum either. I understand I am new, but now I am being pulled in multiple directions with conflicting information. I would greatly appreciate a kind word that my post had been moved from its original placement.

14 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Since an anvil stand needs to be sized for the person using it and for the anvil to be used on it a set of plans would be rather limited in applicability.  Can you add a header to your design stating that it's not correct for anyone of a different build than yourself or using a different sized anvil and so not cause newbies to spend the time and effort  and money building something that won't work well for them?  One reason folks don't post blueprints is that they know a person needs to make it to fit their setup and by just showing a picture a person can calculate what they need themselves.

Or put in a description of how to determine the correct height of the anvil face for them and their anvil individually and show them where to modify your cutting list to get the correct height for them. This would be a great service to the community!

Remember a lot of folks will take any design shown on the internet and expect it will work for them no matter if they are 6'4" or 5'4" and with a 90# anvil or a 190# anvil.

And before posting a suggested design---how well does it work???? Spring?. Noise? (did you fill the legs with sand and some oil?) Have you thought of a hole lined up with the hardy for long pieces you are bending in it?

My apologies, I do not assume less of others. Inherent is the understanding this design will not work for everyone; nor is it meant to be carbon copied by everyone. I believe the original wording does not allude to your assumptions, and I merely wish to provide helpful information to others looking to build their own anvil stand as I did. I can say what I wish, but other will read into what they will.

The anvil stand works great. It works great because I thought about how I use my anvil (i.e. height, tools, applications, techniques, etc.)  and took that into considerations of the design. It is solid and strong with no movement. I did not fill the legs with sand or oil because I wanted to see how the ring would be first before adding additional weight. I glued the anvil to the stand using E6000 adhesive that you can get at any hardware store including Lowe's and The Home Depot. Before anyone tells me that is taboo, I was advised this by our local blacksmith shop owned and operated by two very talented smiths. It works great and it is an easy way to attach your anvil. All the ring is diffused by the glue and my anvil is quiet as a mouse in terms of blacksmithing. There is no need for sand in the legs for me. I did not put base plated on the feet because I forge on my driveway and move everything in and out each time I forge. It would be wonderful to have a shop someday though. 

2 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

I think you did an excellent job on your anvil stand, and really good on the plans. even if the measurements can't work with everyone, it at least give somebody a starting point and idea on what they might need and how to go about constructing it. I would think it would be pretty obvious that the measurements aren't gonna be the same for everybody, and that they will have to put in a little work to figure out what height is right for them. good job, I like the extra space for tools.

Littleblacksmith 

Thank you very much for the kind reply Litteblacksmith! I greatly appreciate some kind words in my direction. I have wanted to post those plans and pictures for a long time to simply help others find a starting place. I was very excited to put myself out there and participate in something that I care about. I love the tool space too, I have yet to fill the entire space. I guess I just need more tools lol.

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

I have to agree, I'm all the time getting PMs from guys making T burners that can't follow those directions let alone calculate the volume of the forge. There's a disheartening number of folk who don't even know what volume means.

Bounty Forge: Good post, it's a good contribution to the forum. There is already an anvil stand section and what you've built falls into the "Steel tripod" stand category. Pics of my version are there, more than once probably. Please forgive me for not downloading your .PDF file I can't seem to get rid of PDFs from my computer. I know my next question would be answered if I did look at your how to but. . . Did you tell folks HOW to cut the legs to make it the correct working height?

If I haven't said it already, Welcome aboard, glad to have you! Aw heck welcome aboard even if I Have said it already. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you sir. I originally posted this in a different location. I was told it did not belong there, and my post was moved by another person without my consent to this forum. Not sure what to post if everything I do is incorrect. I would greatly appreciate this topic being utilized as intended (to share anvil stand ideas, designs, and pictures) with comments such as yours and Littleblacksmith's, instead of being schooled because I am a newbie.

I will have to go check out your stand under the correct posting location. I did show how to measure and cut the legs. That was one of the big ticket items that I wanted to include. It is so simple how the angles and cuts work when you know, but not a fun task to figure out on your own.

Thank you very much for the welcome, and I greatly appreciate it! There is a lot of good stuff here, and I hope I end up fitting in.

8 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

If you have to move it in and out and the anvil is glued to it; may I suggest you add two tip up wheels to the back and a handle receptacle to the front to make that chore easier?

That's a heck of a good idea, and I never thought about it. I always have to get my wife to help me move it back and forth. I do the same with my forge too. I have a 24"x24" portable coke forge from Centaur Forge, and that would work great on it too!

5 hours ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

The "Show me your anvil stands" sub-forum seems to be missing!!! Thanks for finding it, I thought it was a sticky.

There are actually three different threads: "Show me your Anvil Stands" (linked in my last comment above), "Show me your anvil stands", and "Show me your anvil stand!"

Confusing, I know.