I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil stands

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, BOUNTY FORGE said:

Very nice! Is the base one solid piece of wood?

No idea, but it looks to my eye like it's made from at least four pieces glued up.

One other thing: unless there is a specific detail in a photo that you have to show in order to ask about it, please don't include photos when quoting previous comments. They really eat up bandwidth, and we have many members who use dial-up or otherwise don't have broadband. Please go back and delete that photo out of your comment (you can edit comments for up to about an hour after you first hit "Submit Reply").

9 minutes ago, JHCC said:

No idea, but it looks to my eye like it's made from at least four pieces glued up.

One other thing: unless there is a specific detail in a photo that you have to show in order to ask about it, please don't include photos when quoting previous comments. They really eat up bandwidth, and we have many members who use dial-up or otherwise don't have broadband. Please go back and delete that photo out of your comment (you can edit comments for up to about an hour after you first hit "Submit Reply").

I see the four pieces you are talking about.

Thanks for the advice. I didn't know I could delete a photo when commenting back. I'm still learning how to use the forum and I've never been on a forum before, so tips like that help.

2 minutes ago, BOUNTY FORGE said:

Thanks for the advice. I didn't know I could delete a photo when commenting back. I'm still learning how to use the forum and I've never been on a forum before, so tips like that help.

No problem. Speaking of quoting previous posts, one useful trick is to highlight the section you're responding to and then click the "Quote this" button that will pop up. It makes it very clear what you're responding to/asking about, and it's a lot easier than clicking the "Quote" button at the bottom of the comment and then editing out the rest.

10 minutes ago, JHCC said:

No problem. Speaking of quoting previous posts, one useful trick is to highlight the section you're responding to and then click the "Quote this" button that will pop up. It makes it very clear what you're responding to/asking about, and it's a lot easier than clicking the "Quote" button at the bottom of the comment and then editing out the rest.

I see. I just tried it and that is a lot easier.

Every online forum has it's tricks; you'll learn to use (or ignore) the ones here fast enough.  Folks here are generally very tolerant except for posts advising folks to do illegal or dangerous things. 

(And I have a personal issue for posts that basically go "I have never done this before; but this is the way you should do it!"  especially as most folks skip the first "warning" clause.  Had one here fairly recently that said that their set up was holding up well when they had only gone through one BBQ tank of propane---sort of like bragging about your car's reliability when you have only driven it for 1 tank of gasoline!  Of course I'm not a moderator or owner of this site and you are welcome to add me to your ignore list...or debate my views on a topic!  "Iron sharpens iron".)

I have seen quite a few ppl making stands like this one and I am not sure what the benefit of having the wood stacked like that is. Is it for sound deadening, tools, some other unknown reason?

Photo is courtesy of pinterest I couldn't find one similar to it on here so if that isn't allowed I apologize and wI'll remove it if I can I was just trying to find a way to show what I was asking

Constructed Wooden Anvil Stand.jpg

If you mean why the boards are offset from side to side?  It's to have a wider effective base using less wide wood.

If you mean why the boards are vertically oriented? It's because you loose a lot less energy in the anvil-stand-ground system that way.

If you are asking why the end boards stick up? It's to help "trap" the anvil on the stand.

I have heard may experienced smiths say they don't care for wood stands. Are there any true grounds for one being better than the other, or is it more personal preference?

One of the more common reasoning I have heard for metal vs wood is that you can step up closer to the anvil with a tripod design. I have had both now, and I have no complaints with either one or found one better than the other.

Personal style; some folks address the anvil normal to the midpoint on the side, some people stand beside it, some behind it, ... de gustibus non disputandum est

I've never had a solid anvil stand that kept me too far from the anvil.  I have both types and like the metal stand as it's lighter to travel with. I had a massive metal stand that came with one anvil that I gave away as it was too loud and the wrong height for *me*. However most of my stands are wood; stumps, large baulks and stacked---vertically of course. (I like to bring a selection when I teach to keep folks from getting hung up on only *one* way to do it!)

2 hours ago, Scratch said:

Here's my 151 pound Peter Wright on a stand I made a while ago.  I can store my hardy tools underneath.

Nice setup, Scratch. Good planning, getting the hardy directly over one of the holes in the rack.

1 minute ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

My newest anvil stand for our Hay-Budden that followed us home. Just another stump with a shelf cut in.

If you turn the anvil 180°, you can sit down on the step for a breather without worrying about the horn poking you in the back of the head.