I Forge Iron

shaped branding Irons for Wood

Daswulf

A friend is doing some pallet scrap woodwork and asked about wood branding irons in a heart and star. Here is what I came up with. Any better ideas? These seem to work but I have too much time into them, as far as making them.the heart was forged from half inch square, and the star was 3/16x1" stock. then both were ground and sanded flat on the branding side. It would be less next time now that I have a clue on how. I guess I'm just sharing and fishing for a better idea. :) 

012.JPG

013.JPG

014.JPG

015.JPG

016.JPG

017.JPG

018.JPG

019.JPG

021.JPG

Be sure the handles are aligned with the art work. Makes indexing the image much easier.

Make a round to square section in the center of the length of the handle, and add a twist for decoration. Little things like that make a difference.

• 4 weeks later...

Did another heart a few weeks ago out of one section of pipe, and a fleury de lis, out of many manipulated pieces of pipe, for my old Boy Scout troop tonight. 

Heart is 1 1/2" tall and 1 5/8" wide. The fleur de lis is 4 1/2" tall by 3 5/8 wide. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The irons came out very nice, especially the lily.... pretty symetrical!

Maybe just  grind the Lines in some angled geometrie with some bevels(hope You get what I mean) to get more depth in the branding, but it is hard to do better than You already did.

You are more skilled than You always say:D

Cheers

Thanks Jimmy. 

Templehound, I know exactly what you mean. It would be easy to do at any time, so I will leave that option open to them. And that you for the compliment. :) 

Aus, it took a bit of tweaking and fiddling with.  Yup, got some critters kicking around the shop lol. 

13 hours ago, Daswulf said:

I see what you mean JHCC. If I'd have made sharper bends in the 5 pieces or use 10 sections welded up it would be easier to wind up with sharper angles. Thanks. 

Just had an idea, feel free to try it out. For the stars that it would be real easy to get sharp corners by cutting 5 short pieces of angle iron, and placing them on end in the shape of a star and welding. seems like it would be quicker, easier, and more symmetrical than welding 10 pieces together.

Littleblacksmith