I Forge Iron

Cormorant

I've 99% finished my 2nd sculpture commission, a spread wing cormorant. I drew up the outline shape with my client so I knew they'd be happy with the proportions & posture. (In the pic of the drawings is a sample piece I whipped up for them). It's head was always going to be turned but I'm not that good at drawing.

They've seen it now & are very happy. They just want it to rust so no weatherproofing. The small section of light gauge railway it's on will be welded to a verical post of light gauge railway so it can be stood up in their garden.

DSC_1693.JPGIMG_20160729_183325.jpgIMG_20160729_111132.jpgDSC_1694.JPGIMG_20160727_195004.jpgDSC_1680.JPGDSC_1658.JPGDSC_1281.JPGIMG_20160707_153250.jpgDSC_1264.JPG

She loves it. It's a wedding anniversary present to her husband - the Iron year. When drawing it up we joked that the front on view looked a bit like the Wallace and Gromit penguin & she was worried it could look a bit 3 Reich eagle like...but all those fears have completely  gone now she's seen it.

Cheers. No the feet were rods of 8mm (5/16th?) round bar which got kinda lost so I ran some weld beads over the top & it worked out well. A fluke I'm happy to take. Especially as it's all stick welded as i haven't yet got my MIG up and running so the whole job was a pain in the genitals.

2 hours ago, Alan Evans said:

Good fun.

I trust you happened to notice how visually powerful and effective your armature is.  You should definitely log that away for the future.

Alan

By armature do you mean my sample piece? She wanted so keep that but I said no because I keep all my sample pieces for my "stock room" so that I can snare future clients by saying "it'll look like this..."

I have been known to tactfully leave nice sample pieces positioned around the workshop so when clients come to collect commissions they spot them and their idea juices get flowing again...

Doh. Oh yeah, they're in a sub folder of "Cormorant", in "Making". The "In Situ" folder is to come.

I even number images 001, 002, 003...ex media studies student with film editing ambitions before illness struck. Old habbits.

• 2 weeks later...

These pics don't really show anything different, just show it in a nicer light. I wanted some shots of it before it rusted in my client's garden so I ran it over to my folk's conservatory for some quick snaps. I also wanted some pics of it with eyes as my client doesn't want it to have eyes, so I will be filling in the small drilled indentations to meet their wishes. Without eyes I feel it looks blind.

Cormorant-001a.jpg

Cormorant-002a.jpg

Cormorant-003a.jpg

Cormorant-004a.jpg

Cormorant-006a.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Spectacular! You have the proportions spot on for a cormorant hanging out to dry! Nice how you have lapped the feathers.

I wondered why you didn't forge an eye, but on admiring the finished sculpture, I really don't think it needs eyes. The focus of attention is on the pose, and you have captured that so well.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks folks.

On 09/10/2016 at 9:56 PM, ausfire said:

I wondered why you didn't forge an eye

Well funnily enough the plan had always been to make eyes, but the client came round just before that stage and said she didn't think it needed any. I had planned to drill into it's head and recess some small ball bearings which I'd then weld in and then drill countersunk dimples into for pupils. But all I ended up doing was lightly drilling small dimples into the head to suggest eyes (in the shiney pics), then I filled them back up with weld and ground back flush for the client as I showed her those pics and she preferred without eyes.