I Forge Iron

Spanky Smith

Frosty

Prayer sent.  Went through lower back surgery and had 95% nerve blockage.  Doc was surprised I was able to walk at all.  Surgery was the closest thing I will ever come to experiencing a miracle.

You will be asleep so there is no reason to worry.  DON'T do what I did and try to watch a youtube video of your surgery before you go in.  It scared the crap out of me. I lost some serious manhood points after that.

Don't let your pride get in the way of your healing.  You can easily screw up the work they do if you do not do everything the doc tells you to do for as long as they tell you too.  I hope you have someone you can rely on for a while.  If not reach out.

Good luck

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last word I got was her morning schd got pushed back to early afternoon and she was getting more anxious. I haven't heard since and that was about 5hrs. ago. I figure she's napping peacefully and will get back to us when she's up to it.

Still speaking with higher on her behalf here.

Frosty The Lucky.

11 hours ago, Frosty said:

she was getting more anxious

fully understand that,  My Doc gives me stuff to take to get me out of the house & into car to go to hospital for operations or would take 2 big guys to pull my hands off the door casings of the entrance;) 

Spanky remains in our thoughts & Prayers.  Please keep us posted Frosty   Thanks

I still haven't heard anything, I sure wish I'd asked her for other contact info. I hate to say I hope she's just too miserable to check the comp but the alternatives are suckier.

Frosty to Spanky, come in Spanky! Over.

Frosty The Lucky.

Sent this to Frosty this morning) Very rough 48 hours.  The surgery got pushed back to late afternoon so it was nearly midnight before I got home, then could not sleep at ALL for the shoulder blade and arm pain, all an apparently common side effect of your neck being hammered on with power tools and damaged nerves struggling to come back to life.  Muscle relaxers helped the back/shoulder pain but did nothing for the arm:nerve pain, which on a scale of 1:10 was a 19.  Unbelievably excruciating, I could NOT find a position that would allow me to rest, and forget sleep.   Got a short round of steroids and did the first day "front loading" high dose of them yesterday evening and finally, mercifully got a little rest.  It's 3am here, I'm up sipping coffee through a straw.  The shoulder soreness is much damped down, the arm pain still there but damped down enough for me to start to feel a tiny bit human.

Like I said, a very rough go of it, and living alone this is not fun.  I'm stretching my rusted ability to ask for help and will have to keep asking for awhile.  I think I'll live, yesterday I wasn't certain that was a good thing but some much needed rest has helped.

Thanks for checking in on me!  I thought to update you yesterday but was hurting too bad.  Keep those prayers coming.  

Attaching photo of my Frankenstein scar!  I'm taking any and all suggestions for a good story to go with it.  Bar fight?  Nah, too common.  Run in with a werewolf?  That time a sliver of steel chipped off an old hammer and raked across my throat?  Hmmmm.

(tried to attach image but it keeps loading upside down)

Glad you're on your way to recovery. I've never had surgery but I know people who have had all kinds of surgeries (some like yours, open heart, and hip replacement to name a few) and one thing I've learned is to not get in a rush during recovery. Just take your time and get better.

Sorry to miss the photo, but glad you made it through the surgery okay! Feel better soon!

As for the scar, maybe we can start a thread to collectively make up a story, one of those things where everyone contributes five words each. I'd start with "Ya gotta understand the backstory...."

Spanky  so very glad to  hear from you.  Do you have a Recliner?  I've used them for 4 post operations(back, knee and both shoulders being overhauled) and they are great to  sleep in adjustable to all sorts of angles, no tossing and trying to roll over.  After my back surgery  I slept there for 5-6 months.  Just gave one to an x daughter in law who is awaiting surgery fusion of her lower back and first night she slept through after not sleeping more than an hour for weeks. 

I certainly hope you are not home alone!  I'm lucky to have a RN as a wife. 

Keep it slow and even ,don't push and don't fall!  been there and done that.  Easy to do with the pain meds in the system.

Scare:   You were hanging X mass decorations on a your pet bull moose's antlers when he turned unexpectedly and hit you.:P

We can see pictures upside down.

Dale

You were sentenced to death by hanging for a crime you didn't commit and at the last second your trusty sidekick shot the rope off saving your life. Unfortunately, he grazed your neck, and the few sensible townfolk left had to rush in and cart you to safety in a hotrod Conestoga wagon. 

The real culprit was discovered when his partner broke down and confessed, having witnessed your ordeal. The partner is serving a life sentence in Yuma prison but Bruce Dern's whereabouts remain a mystery to this day...

Glad to hear your on the mend Spanky. We'll keep on praying for a full recovery. 

I guess you could alway make a story to fit the moment. :) had a pretty good burn on the top of my hand and some guys asked if I got that blacksmithing.  Wasn't a good story when I told em I got it while I was drunk trying to turn corn dogs in the oven the night before. But it was true. They did get a laugh. 

Is the old fighting a grizzly bear story over used? 

Got so mad at a show depicting bogus blacksmithing on the telly you bit your own throat!  or my favorite---"Did you ever see the movie Alien?" Or how about "Last time I sign up to be in a recreation of Jim Bowie's Sandbar Duel----unless *I* get to be Jim!"

Recovery is rough, especially at the start when so much damage needs to be dealt with and at the end when it seems like it will never end and you are tempted to overdo stuff. Remember that pain meds will throw you off even when you don't think they are!  Remember too you heal faster when taking them!  And they work better if you don't wait till you are at a 19 to take them.

The recliner is a good idea; pretty much all my kinfolk who have had such ops have ended up swearing by them.

Wish I'd thought about a recliner before the surgery, I have a big overstuffed chair and ottoman I figured would suffice but I think a recliner would be better.  

I guess once it heals there's nothing to stop me from claiming the scar is actually a burn, not a cut.  Opens up more interesting black smithing possibilities for the cover story.

Good to hear. Surprised the bandages are off. Every surgery I've had (two shoulders, wrist, hand, back) I had to keep it covered for over a week. 

Get a a couple closed eyes tattooed above it. When someone asks tell them to shhh or they'll wake the demon up then whisper you are not responsible for what happens to their soul after that.

Well, so much for my, "you don't want to see the other guy" story, that one's been out done. I like, bit my own throat, that's a good one. How about "I was letting my inner child out and it turned out to be a demon." How about,

Good to hear you're up to talking to the gang. Super glue was developed as a sutureless wound glue, it works a treat. I use the stuff intended for fingernails when I have something I don't want to take to the sawbones. The fingernail glue has an antibiotic in it.

Take it easy maybe sip a brew if it won't leak out your neck. 

Ewwww, I need brain bleach for that one! I just came up with a visual I'm going to spare all of you. <shudder>

Frosty The Lucky.