I Forge Iron

'Infallible' cast sword

Michael Cochran

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Michael Cochran said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one that had to bite their tongue to keep from stickin their foot in their mouth because of one comment lol.

Michael you "had to bite THEIR tongue?" How many do you have in your mouth and is it . . . fun? :blink: Oh MY!

Frosty The Lucky.

12 hours ago, Frosty said:

Michael you "had to bite THEIR tongue?" How many do you have in your mouth and is it . . . fun? :blink: Oh MY!

Frosty The Lucky.

I knew someone would say somethin about that. I might be an English as a first language person but grammar isn't my thing.

To answer your question right now there's just one but I don't mind bitting one that's there and don't belong.

I'd probably try getting tongues that don't belong out myself, biting is a natural option. I WAS going to say that never happens to me till I remembered how much the dogs like to swap spit but I don't bite their tongues, NO is usually enough. For a few seconds anyway. :P

I'm no judge of grammar, I learn by context.

Frosty The Lucky.

My wife likes tacos de lengua and we go to a local place to get them when she comes down to visit.  Me I try to avoid them as how do you know when to stop?  Bit my tongue recently when I had an insulin crash and did not like the taste!  My wife was the oldest of 12 kids and her Father was a butcher and so she grew up eating stuff they couldn't sell fast enough at the store.  Our kids learned *young*  NOT to check what was cooking in a big pot on the stove...bwahahahahahahahaha

When we moved to S. Cal. the only place you could get tacos was Alvera St. the first town and street in S. Cal with the original ranch house, est. 1793 IIRC. Anyway, it was pre-taco bell or even "Mexican restaurants. I was probably 7 +/- when Mother took me with. Love food wrapped in a tortilla, corn, flour, whatever.

Dad was probably one of the most finicky eaters I knew of, my little sister came in second. Mother and I were always up for new stuff so long as it wasn't canned cream corn. <shudder>

Different cultures, different food. I LOVE it. The flour yogurt fry bread is a BIG hit, fried, baked, whatever I'm trying dumplings next. The Peri Peri sauce is another winner, I need another bottle. You have any more Ian?

Frosty The Lucky.

11 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Mother and I were always up for new stuff so long as it wasn't canned cream corn. <shudder>

Different cultures, different food. I LOVE it. The flour yogurt fry bread is a BIG hit, fried, baked, whatever I'm trying dumplings next. The Peri Peri sauce is another winner, I need another bottle. You have any more Ian?

Frosty The Lucky.

What's wrong with canned cream corn? Aside from its canned, I like it :) 

I love dumplings. Seems impossible for me to find good egg rolls around my parts. There was one place a long time ago but it's gone now and I can't find another place. The only time I get good ones is the rare chance my mom and brother make them in a huge batch. They are usually all eaten in a shorter time then it takes to make them. 

Im usually always up for new food as long as it isn't something I wouldn't consider should be people food. 

You've never had fresh made creamed corn?  Canned is almost, ALMOST worse than canned peas. Canned veggies are good food though, they're perfect for the survival cache because nobody who isn't starving to death will eat the . . . stuff. That way there's going to be something there if you are starving to death.

On a serious note, only inexperienced folk put yummy food in emergency caches, they're just too easy to snack on and if you go down in the bush you're snaring bunnies with your boot laces and chewing birch bark till someone finds you.

Some of the frozen egg and spring rolls are pretty good especially if you deep fry them. Puff pastry makes good rolls if you aren't into making your own. I mix my own hot mustard using Colemans powdered mustard, the stuff is on a par with Wasabi for burn you good. Great flavor and if you add a little vinegar or lemon juice when it's hot enough it'll stop getting hotter. My sweet and sour is either plum or apricot jam and either white vinegar or lemon/lime juice W/ touch of zest. The zest needs time in the fridge for the flavor to develop.

Frosty The Lucky.

When I was a child living in Ohio, living 10 miles from town, my Mother and I slaved away the summer freezing and canning corn, green beans tomatoes, strawberries etc.  One of the great treats was the home canned creamed corn which we used during the winter to make corn pudding to go with the roasts from half a cow we bought from our next door neighbor.

Growing up in north eastern NJ, right across the river from NYC, you could get just about any type of food from anywhere in the world. I always loved to try different types of food. My mom was born in Italy, and we always made everything from scratch. As a kid my grandfather raised  chickens, and rabbits, which were used for Sunday dinner. We used to slaughter a pig every once in a while. I have found very little food that I don't like, and my stomach shows it. If anyone has what they consider a strange dish please PM me with the recipe,as I am always looking for new types of food. Just don't tell my doctors.:D

And here I just put up 5 gallons of kimchi, 3 gallons of Oi-Sobagi and 5 gallons of regular old sauerkraut...I am waiting for the magic to happen now...

And you ain't lived until you had a hot bowl of Kurdish Khash.. this stuff will either cute what ails ya or kill ya..either way problem solved..

JPH

Frosty, no, I've never had Cream corn other then from a can. would love to try fresh.  yes, canned peas ARE about the worst. canned food does have it's place. I prefer fresh foods. but hey, need some food stores incase you get snowed in.or incase you get stuck with the zombie apocalypse. lol....  funny enough a few of the frozen eggrolls are way better then those at chinese restaurants.  i used to despise sushi. now i love it. tho Real wasabi is hard to come by. it's funny the stuff you can hate that you never tried until you've tried it a few times.

6 hours ago, MarcyOHH said:

Why does every topic I ever post on become a discussion about food?

Food is Life. And has been around longer then blacksmithing ;) of course we can all have That to talk about and why wouldnt it come up?

8 hours ago, Daswulf said:

That to talk about and why wouldnt it come up?

If it comes up you either didn't make it right, left it in the sun or chased it down with too many chasers:) 

Marcy, I recon a vast number of smiths love to cook! And every now and then a great tip or recipe or some such  changes hands and that improves the quality of life! 

Food is generally a safe topic, everyone has an opinion and everyone is right---for them!   I was raised "an adventurous eater" and felt sorry for my cousins that wouldn't eat anything but MacDucks.  When I was doing an emergency run to Jakarta once and went to get my shots the Dr said that I wouldn't need the typhoid shot unless I did "adventurous eating"  I told him "Give me the shot!"  I didn't want to be restricted; I did get sick as a dog for 3 days after a marvelous goat satay; but that was probably run of the mill intestinal flora incompatibility.   Bud have you had any good durian?  BBQ Rattlesnake (washed down with Moonshine---those cajun rig hands know how to spend their off time!)