I Forge Iron

Alec Steele Rounding Hammer

Forging Carver

I just got this hammer a few weeks ago, right after I cleaned up for he winter. I am pretty excited to use it in the spring. It was hand forged by Alec Steele with a striker. I have been wanting to buy a rounding hammer for a while since it is a very versatile tool. You can move the steel quick with the rounding dye, and if held properly you have many different sized fullers. The way you control this hammer can easily turn it into a cross peen, straight peen, or diognal peen. The charred handle basically makes the handle much smoother, so you don't have to worry about sanding with fine grits. Also, you don't get those little black spots like you do on a regular handle since it is already black. It also makes you not afraid to get the handle dirty. The shape of the handle is very convienant becuase the oval shape makes it very easy to switch quickly to the different dyes of the hammer. It is balanced very well and feels lighter than it actually is. I know I'm going to get some argument on that one! Overall, it is a very nice built hammer hammer and I am sure it performs just as well!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I am very excited for you! when I got my alec steele rounding hammer, I loved it! be carful, you may never go back to another hammer...

and some other info: alec steele now forges all of his hammers under his power hammer, he showed me when I went to take a class with him in November, and he has also recently started charring handles! when I got mine, it was not charred, so eventually, I charred it. after a wile, a charred handle starts to feel rubbery.(mine does anyway)

hope you get many hits out of that hammer!

Ethan

Nice. This one is 3.5 pounds. I asked Alec Steele and Beian Brazeal which weight for someone with my credentials, and they said 3.5 pound. In fact Alec Steele told me that when he was 14 he was using a 3.5 pound hammer despite his small build. He even said that he often felt a 3.5 pound hammer was too light and he would use a 4.5 pounder. The way these are made though, make this hammer feel just as heavy as my 2.5 pound hammer when I swing it.

• 2 years later...

The following is a direct quote from Alex's web page

"...I do not take on custom orders. There are no hammer preorders open and I do not have any work for sale.   I am not currently offering classes. ..."

For updates I suggest you visit his site and or watch his youtube channel, just in case the situation chnges.

• 4 weeks later...

Yup let me know if you'd like to make one. I will be offering classes soon.

Littleblacksmith 

I made this one in a Brian Brazeal workshop in Templeton CA back in 2014.  3.5 lbs.  Cheeks could have been done better the the grooves deeper but it was my first hammer.  Brian is in Africa but Lyle Wynn and many others teach his techniques.

2014-04-12_18-20-58_744.jpg

2014-07-12_16-26-51_903.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my most recent one I did with Bounty Forge.

Littleblacksmith 

IMG_1041.JPG

IMG_1042.JPG

IMG_1043.JPG

• 1 year later...

Alec is not making hammers for sale any longer.  Now, "Ethan the blacksmith" (maybe still a member here, see post above), is making hammers for Alec with Alec's touchmark, a horizontal "S".  Ethan just recently posted a youtube video describing their business arrangement.  Ethan says he is making 100 hammers for Alec at this time.

• 3 weeks later...

Your a keener;) 

yes exactly as you said, I am now making the hammers for Alec’s brand, and there’s now a series of YouTube videos showing the process on the first batch. It’s on my channel “Ethan Harty” for anyone who’s interested. It was a great honour to be part of this business dealing.

ill leave a few pictures here incase anyone is interested.

662B41FB-9E7C-4E34-BFA7-4AFA7E535B04.jpeg

7D8BAC8D-F1A1-4A28-8FA6-7DB68012D2CD.jpeg

ADB9E47A-199F-415C-ABCA-819AFFAD6055.jpeg

414A9CCC-9EEE-4061-961D-F5C0B0C787F8.jpeg

A7D7B6D6-53A3-4F76-AD1E-1B78EB25F292.jpeg

73402075-0AFD-4C67-82C2-47576373C6EA.jpeg

Ethan, I've watched your videos.  You have accomplished a remarkable feat, what with all the forging, cleaning, handle making, etc.  I recall when you first started out smithing, and you have progressed fantastically (sounds like Alec, I know).  I think you deserve a long vacation from that job!!! (before the next run, LOL).  The next run should be a lot easier.

• 1 month later...