I Forge Iron

A collection of Blacksmiths!

Smoggy

Spurred by a post tittle in the book section of a similar name:

Does anyone know what the collective noun is for a group of Blacksmiths?

Often what a group is involved in dictates what noun is used i.e. flying over it's a flock of geese, where as at the ponds edge it's a gaggle, as I'm sure you are all aware.

So real or manufactured, what nouns do you use to describe Blacksmiths engaged in group activities ( puns, most enthusiastically encouraged :D)

So for a bit of fun, fire away folks........

A Clinker. Sounds like it could be grammatically correct as a plural in context.

A fist? as in a group of knuckles... or more fittingly, knuckleheads :P

"Look at that pathetic fist" said one welder to another about the group of blacksmiths relentlessly pounding on their anvils...

9 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

Just don't upset them. 

....read Frosty's post and scrolled down to this.....that is the first time I've ever encountered comedic timing in a thread!

for the sake of inclusivity, I think we should include bladesmiths and farriers too.

Keep em coming....

3 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

....read Frosty's post and scrolled down to this.....that is the first time I've ever encountered comedic timing in a thread!

for the sake of inclusivity, I think we should include bladesmiths and farriers too.

Keep em coming....

That's fair, it's good to horse around once in a while. Just don't need any whinny people ruining the faun. 

A monastic blacksmith group would be a "Quench".

A group of lazy smiths would be a "slack."

A group of farriers might be a "Clinch." A group of worried farriers would be a "Crease."  Old or retired farriers who used coal would be a "Rasp." What would you call a group of young "Nippers" trying to pass the "Bar?"

A group of unfun bladesmiths would be called a Temperance League."

Frosty The Lucky.

• 4 weeks later...

How about a "Murder" of blacksmiths like Crows, we seem to do a lot of making noise, walking around looking for scraps and something  for little or nothing and by the end of the day are fairly black.  We also do a good job of murdering the English Language on this site especially.

Second choice would be agreeing with Steve, "Friends" I have made a number on here and most no chance of ever meeting which is a shame I'm sure.