I Forge Iron

Large Gear ideas

27 minutes ago, matto said:

Put it in the yard vertical and stare in wonder.  Or use it as a climbing wall.

I like this idea.  A gear that large is truly impressive.  I remember back in the early '90s when I was working bringing ships out of mothballs to ship material to Desert Storm.  One ship had to have the reduction gear housing opened and the gears checked for cracks.  People flew in from all over the country, just to see a reduction gear casing opened, exposing the massive gears for inspection.  It apparently rarely happens.  A bit of heavy industry like the OP's gear can essentially be looked at as a work of art, especially considering that we may not even have the capacity to make such a thing here in this country anymore.  

This idea might involve a 'bit' of effort :D

Set up a central shaft with rotational bearings and a thrust bearing, add a small gearbox and motor to the side and you will have a nice rotating platform to display things like cars(or powerhamers):) on.

I agree with Thomas. I would Love to get ahold of a huge gear like that for a sculpture!. actually after getting rejected at the scrap yard i've been pretty jaded but if i had a huge gear like that i'd make something big. The look of the gear would determin it's purpose. a table would be awesome but you would need supporting legs that fit the look. the ideas are limitless. I cant even imagine lifting it to work with it lol. also if you make a table, you'd need industrial thrones/chairs to match. think cam shafts/ crank shafts. I'd love to see what you come up with.

Didn't they used to make playground Merry-go-rounds out of something like that?

Then little Willy got his foot caught underneath. They didn't blame Willy, they called it Dan Gerous!!

Little Willy didn't learn, He did it again!!  It is impossible to control stupid!!

Neil

Something that big and heavy? I'd use it as a part of a patio, slightly raised from the rest of the flagstones. Give the top face a nice shine to begin with followed by something to give it a bit of a patina (goat cheese comes to mind but I've heard orance juice works as well) followed by a nice coat of wax to seal it in. Then plant a tree in the hole for the driveshaft.

The rest of the patio would be flagstones radiating outward. Perhaps old tools and smaller parts cast into concrete to look like slabs cut with fossils. Wrenches, smaller gears, maybe a few nuts and bolts too would work well. Even chain would probably look nice if you had a tumbler to shine it up first. Then treat each piece of metal in the same way as the gear and wax the stones with the tools set in them to match the big gear.

In ten thousand years, as mankind emerges from the next dark age, archaeologists will marvel at the effort put into such a structure by "primitive" people. Many theories will be proposed to explain its significance, from calendars to an enormous burial monument, much like Stonehenge. If you really want to mess with future generations a metal sign - cast would be nice - written in a nonsense script would really throw them off. Think of how much effort would be wasted searching for a "Rosetta" stone?

Then again, it would look really cool even if none of that came to pass. It'd brobably be durable too if there was a good undercoating on the bottom of the gear.

You have a pic? I'd like to see that gear.

D

And it would be an awesome outdoor seating area if made into the worlds coolest table...however, you would have to have quite the footings or it would soon turn into the worlds biggest and most aggravating trip hazard due to sinkage.

D