I Forge Iron

Large Gear ideas

I would find or fab a matching worm, and with the ten foot gear standing upright, the Wind would drive my iron ore crusher at a somewhat quicker pace than geologic time (quite faster than my current method).  Naturally, the whole thing would have to be a kinetic sculpture, rotating ever-so-slowly to indicate the prevailing wind direction over the course of the day.  Sadly I have to clock in in two hours, where we make rings, six feet in diameter, and they have no teeth!

Maybe a clock face with other appropriate industrial items to mark the hours.  If the teeth are straight cut and lend themselves to it, I might think of a fountain that turn a wheel that moved a ratchet and slowly turned the gear for something to look at.  Or maybe drive the wheel and have it carry buckets of water up to move water in a fountain.

Shafts bearings and meshed for the ice crusher for your margarita.

I gotta say though two makes a much cooler front gate that rolls to open and close. A sign that says, "solicitors knock here."

Okay, one laying flat on the ground with a shaft, the other on the shaft W/bearings and a drive motor making a rotating patio for the scenic season.

A largish diesel engine and they'd make a pretty cool radio control car. You could hire them out to clear land and fix traffic jams.

Frosty The Lucky.

Biggest gear I've ever seen was only 4' in diameter and the guy was using it as a stoop outside the door to his shop.  I can't even imagine one 10' across!

For a shop, I think it would make a fantastic attention-getter if you stood it upright somehow.  I'm picturing an arm across the top with some bearings so it can spin freely if visitors want to give it a go.  Kinda like that coral castle down in Florida.

My day job is gearbox engineering and I look at gears as works of art.  One of my goals in life is to acquire an old mill gear (about 20' diameter or greater) and use it to build an entrance to my property - basically drive through a giant gear to get to my house.  If I had two 10' gears, they'd probably flank my gate.  

I hope you find something awesome to do with those!