I Forge Iron

Homemade Air Blower WIP

Aditya B

After blowing up 2 chinese air blowers on first runs I have decided to make my own air blower (hoping good use of my old 0.5hp motor :D )

Specification

Power - 0.5 hp / 1440rpm

Dia of Housing - 10 inch

Dia of fan - 8 inch

Width of fan - 25 mm

Out Vent Dia - 1 inch

Right now Mounting Shaft is gone to friends shop for internal key way

IMG_20151207_173049_1.thumb.jpg.009ac227

hope it will do my work :D will keep all informed when it will perform

2 hours ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

See the lirics to "third rock from the sun"....

at that speed it has to be a well built and balanced fan. Are you fabricating or using a pre-made one?

My search for premade in market is going but many of associates gave Me Negative replies 

But i do have my backup plan of fabricated fan with tapered and positive rake angled blades

1 hour ago, Stephen Jones said:

Is an internal keyway the same thing as a woodruff key?  A little metal piece that stops a wheel spinning separately around it axis.

Yes internal key way is in holes to hold those keys 

I'd seriously reconsider this. I would *not* trust the quality of those welds at 1440rpm. Your weld prep is non-existent, and flux core wire is ill advised for this under the best of situations. Your backing isn't going to be stable enough to resist the centrifugal force of the blades which will drive them into your housing at speed and *really* test your welds. Not to mention those blades will effectively be little more than tissue paper trying to move air at 1440rpm.

Why not just use a motor/squirrel cage from a preexisting fan setup? Or even find a squirrel cage from an automotive application and fit it to your motor? 

or do it handcrank at least at first to see how it works.   1440 rpm, if it works, gonna blow your coal outa the firepot.....   Possibly blades with it.   Hand crank lets you put air when you need it too and at the right amount.

u gonna be able to get that thing in there????

15 hours ago, Panday said:

I'd seriously reconsider this. I would *not* trust the quality of those welds at 1440rpm. Your weld prep is non-existent, and flux core wire is ill advised for this under the best of situations. Your backing isn't going to be stable enough to resist the centrifugal force of the blades which will drive them into your housing at speed and *really* test your welds. Not to mention those blades will effectively be little more than tissue paper trying to move air at 1440rpm.

Why not just use a motor/squirrel cage from a preexisting fan setup? Or even find a squirrel cage from an automotive application and fit it to your motor? 

1. these welds what you saw here are just tac weld i am going to full weld those from both sides

2. as far is welding on speed rotation considered i have seen many of my welded job turning on high speed and taking deep cuts and welds always worked fine

3. when the backing comes in play the back or housing which you are viewing right now is going to weld on one metal structure which will going to hold motor and housing both

4. i am still searching for appropriate squirrel cage/ fan blade in market but i am not getting one.

9 hours ago, Borntoolate said:

or do it handcrank at least at first to see how it works.   1440 rpm, if it works, gonna blow your coal outa the firepot.....   Possibly blades with it.   Hand crank lets you put air when you need it too and at the right amount.

u gonna be able to get that thing in there????

i havent thought about handcrank i need to reduce human efforts

but i am going to put valve or damper in between blower and forge to control the flow

9 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Rather than make the assumption, I'll ask............Anditya, are you intending running the fan directly from the motor at the full rpm rating, or will you be including some form of reduction gearing between motor and fan?

right now i am thinking about full speed and direct mounting but if problem comes i do have option of step down pully

I think you should figure out why the Chinese blowers burned up.  It could be your setup.  If you shut off the air to your forge are you dead heading the air?  If so, that could burn up your blower.  I know a lot of blowers can't handle the pressure that causes and they fail.

18 hours ago, JeepinJoe said:

I think you should figure out why the Chinese blowers burned up. 

Ladies and Gentlemen, please hold all cards, ... we have a BINGO.

"Reinventing" the wheel, is seldom the solution to any problem.

-----------------------------------------------------------

As a young man, ... ( which occurred a VERY long time ago :rolleyes:) ... all my friends were hot to "soup-up" their cars, with a variety "hotrod" modifications.

Big carburetors, ... wide rear tires, ... traction bars, ... and exhaust headers, ... were "all the rage".

Yes indeed, ... garden variety high school clowns were sure they knew better than the best Automotive Engineers in the World.

And they created some God-awful abortions, ... that wouldn't go down the road in a straight line, ... nor would they take a corner without hopping and sliding all over the road.

The results were quite predictable, ... and sometimes tragic .....

I think there's a lesson there, ... that applies to this situation.

so far so busy these days but i managed to have some progress

i managed to put fabricate housing with a elbo as i do have a bottom blast except elbo all other parts are coming from my scrap

IMG_20151213_131047.thumb.jpg.e0b31e48f2

there is a flow control which is just been in design and i have used it first time will provide more detail about it when it will work

but for info when you move this hex head this will change amount of air out

IMG_20151213_131058.thumb.jpg.b8dd8b2780

And for all the balancing Fans :D

Yess!! my fan is already is pretty much balanced and didnt gave any kind of balancing problem in my test run!!

And thus it is proved that you can make your own fan in welding workshop

IMG_20151213_131119.thumb.jpg.a95fff6014

On 12/8/2015, 10:40:24, JeepinJoe said:

I think you should figure out why the Chinese blowers burned up.  It could be your setup.  If you shut off the air to your forge are you dead heading the air?  If so, that could burn up your blower.  I know a lot of blowers can't handle the pressure that causes and they fail.

i found out that those chienese blowers were not meant to be made working for long time, in long term run the whole roatar and field windings got heated up and due to collasion winding got short

When I made replacement fans for parking lot sweepers I bent a foot at the base of the blade to make it easier to weld them to the backing plate , and keep them closer to 90°. They also had another wide ring welded across the tops to make it more like a  squirrel cage. These fans were around 16"  diameter and 4" thick, so we had them professionally balanced for the RPM of the engine running it.

I would add an extra layer around the outside of your housing to contain the bits just in case it does come apart. 

• 1 month later...

why didny you just use the body frome the Chinese junk ones and just switch the moters ? im sure that its an obviose reason, but that im to "dumb" to realize it right now.

Littleblacksmith